All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

My Lexus V8 into 2nd Gen 4Runner conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Lexus V8 into 2nd Gen 4Runner conversion.

Hi All,

I've been getting a phew emails off here about the Lexus V8 (1UZ-FE) engine transplant I did in my 2nd Gen 4Runner. So I thought instead of replying to each email all the time I'd do a bit of a buildup thread for it.....So Enjoy, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask...

Here's a good little writeup about the History of the 1UZ-FE Lexus V8
http://www.itplanet.net.au/Cressida/1UZ_history.htm

Lextreme - A forum dedicated to the Lexus V8
http://www.lextreme.com

The engine puts out about:-
HP @ RPM = 250@5600
Torque Ft. Lbs @ RPM = 260@4400

So now onto my swap....I was originally planning on turboing the 3VZE V6, but after having getting all the gear together and installing aftermaket management, a tuning error stuffed the V6. It was then I decieded bugger it, I'll go the V8, which is 100 times better than what a turbo 3vze would be anyway.

The V6, ready to be pulled out...

The cleaned and empty engine bay

The top of the photo is the engine loom for the V6...The lower part shows the part of the loom that has to be removed (4WD Light, Reverse Light, and Speed Sensor)

V8 Badges off a 100 Series Landcruiser

The kit from Dellow Automotive to mate my 5spd manual to the Lexus V8. The kit bolted up perfectly, and has held up great so far with no problems. There website is http://www.dellowauto.com.au/ And there full conversion kit sells for around $1500au.

Bolted up to the R150F Gearbox

Prices for the actual V8 were
$1200 Front Sump 1UZ-FE V8 from Venom (includes AC Comp, Starter, Alt etc....)
$1000 Crown ECU and Modified Loom from Venom (Venom's loom simplify the whole conversion, only about 6 or so wires need to be hooked up to get it running)
$350 for Air Flow Meter and Igniters.

Last edited by Twisty; 07-18-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:40 AM

After doing the timing belt and idlers, and a bit of a cleanup, the engine was ready to be installed.

I also put a chrome grill on for a bit more Bling

Everything in the Lowlux to take down to Widowmaker Race Engine for fitting.

All loaded up.

My first look of it all fitted.

These are bad photos, but this is the drivers side engine mount. (passenger side for most of you guys). The original chassis mounts were left standard, and new brackets constructed from the block out to the rubber engine mount.

Aussie passenger side, most of yours drivers side.

The front sump just clears the steering link with a 2" bodylift installed. A 1" bodylift would probably provide enough clearance to get away without modifying the sump.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:48 AM

Some brackets had to be made to fit the steering dampner up. The engineer wouldn't pass it without this fitted.

The finished engine bay....looks like it came this way from the factory.

I then got the cam covers colour coded while getting some respray done on the runner.

Looks heaps better.

Made a bashplate to protect the steering dampner...

Old 01-19-2006, 02:54 AM

Finally a phew action shots...The V8 swap was definetly the best thing I have ever done to my 4runner....It's just so nice to drive now, and has more than enough power and torque....It tows my zook great, and I'd highly recomend this conversion to anyone.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:37 AM

Bitchin! I take it you don't use your snorkel anymore?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 AM

That is a very clean operation you have there. Your runner looks great!
The engine looks like it has always been there. You have done a great job on the whole
project. While I wouldn't feel comfortable trying something like that, your pictures
and writeup make it sound very do able.

Looks good thanks for the pictures and info.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave - Thanks for posting your swap here. Maybe a little inspiration for me to get mine done...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:54 AM

That's a nice ride.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:38 AM

Nice, nice, the exact swap I wanted for my '01 3rd gen. If my v6 didnt have only 50k on it, I would definately be doing this. If you don't mind me asking, you can PM if you want, how much was the total price, for all the work, parts, etc... I would really appreciate it, I do plan on doing this when the time comes for a new engine. Thanks,
Jason
Old 01-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet! I love you ride, so nice!

Do tell, can we use the aussie kits in US cars (wiring etc.)?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:10 AM

Wow, that is truly awesome. Nice pics and writeup. You have several interesting vehicles in your pics, all yours?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

i'm not surprised to hear that you've been getting lots of questions and remarks -- the first time i saw your v8 conversion i was impressed, too. it really looks awesome.
NICE!!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

very nice...too bad about the snorkel. I like the coil over steering dampner. Looks like the swap came out great, Congrats!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 AM

My wife has an LS400 that I sorta leer at occassionaly...maybe if I swap my 3.slow for her motor she won't notice?

Wes
Old 01-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you make it look sooo easy...haha but i know its not everytime i go and look at the good old reliable terd in my engine bay
Old 01-19-2006, 02:45 PM

The pictures look great.... but I want to hear a sound/video clip of your ride with the v8 in it!!! Can you hook us up ! Probally sounds great!!! Good job! What is your gas mileage?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by FireMan
Bitchin! I take it you don't use your snorkel anymore?
Nah, I was going to try and plumb it up to the other side, but I think it would just look stupid and wreck how nice and clean the engine bay is now, which is another great bonus of the V8. The layout is just so neat..no vacum hoses, leads, wires everywhere. All the leads and distribuators are sealed under plastic covers.

Originally Posted by Cebby
Dave - Thanks for posting your swap here. Maybe a little inspiration for me to get mine done...
No worries Cebby....How is yours swap going?...I am looking forward to seeing it completed.

Originally Posted by JHupp
Nice, nice, the exact swap I wanted for my '01 3rd gen. If my v6 didnt have only 50k on it, I would definately be doing this. If you don't mind me asking, you can PM if you want, how much was the total price, for all the work, parts, etc... I would really appreciate it, I do plan on doing this when the time comes for a new engine. Thanks,
Jason
Jason, the total cost for my conversion was just over $6000au. I did all the fiddly bits myself (wiring, fuel lines etc) but my cost blew out for the mounting of the engine. I was quoted $500-$800, but it ended up being $2000. With what I know now, I could easily pull this conversion off for around $4000au.

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Sweet! I love you ride, so nice! Do tell, can we use the aussie kits in US cars (wiring etc.)?
I can't see why not, they will post out the bellhousing and clutch kits to you guys, and the looms would be the same, and are available from Venom. The looms are done on an exchange basis, so you would have to send Scott your loom first. You can email Scott from Venom on bigdoca@hotmail.com Say Dave with the V8 4Runner refered you....

Originally Posted by calg3
Wow, that is truly awesome. Nice pics and writeup. You have several interesting vehicles in your pics, all yours?
Kinda.....Obvisouly the 4runner is mine.....and had the lowered orange hilux on 18's for a while, and sold it to get my red zook. The Grey Nissan Patrol is a mates.....and yep, he still gives me ˟˟˟˟˟ about towin the Toyota around....but atleast I'm way up on him in the horsepower stakes now.

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
you make it look sooo easy...haha but i know its not everytime i go and look at the good old reliable terd in my engine bay
It actually was a very easy conversion....after spending about 3 months on the net and collecting all the parts...the actualy conversion only took 3 weeks from start to finish....

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
The pictures look great.... but I want to hear a sound/video clip of your ride with the v8 in it!!! Can you hook us up ! Probally sounds great!!! Good job! What is your gas mileage?
I'm working on getting some vids up....One of them is from a Hill CLimb I was competing in....It stated by dropping into a creek with a short steep climb out, then a 2nd gear low range flat out climb to the top of the hill. I blew the front diff on the first bit of the climb, but kept into it and still managed to get 1st place in the V8 class by more than 2 seconds....stoked!!!

I'll be sure to post the vids up as soon as I can, its deffinetly one of the sweetest, smoothest, crispest V8's I've heard......I'm running twin 2.5" into twin 3" cats, then into single 3" mandrel bent with a 3" straight through muffler. Which is a little big for the motor, but the sounds is worth it.

Mileage, you's might have to convert this to Mile per gallon...but its
Highway 13.6l/100km
Around town/Offroad 18.2l/100km
Which ends up pretty much the same as what I was getting with the 3.0l V6.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:54 PM

A pic from just before the front diff went bang!!

The rest of the climb to the top.

The same 4WD Park, but in the climb out of the mud run in 2WD
Old 01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

THat thing totally Rocks! Nice job. Very professional looking. The front dif was my first thought when I started to read this thread. Would a Solid front axle work with your swapped engine?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I should have backed off when I lifted the wheel....but its hard when your racing......

A SAS would work with the engine, but would probably require a rear or mid sump motor to clear the cross over steering....or a custom sump....

Quick Reply: My Lexus V8 into 2nd Gen 4Runner conversion.