All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Kalmah's 7M-GTE Swap into 93 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liveoffroad
good find! wish i had known that, i'm on my 3rd autozone 4runner radiator with 4 fans and it still gets hot at altitude. i'm interested to see if that thing keeps yours cool.
I can't make jambo this year, got a wedding to go to on the western slope.
That sucks, I was interested in checking out your swap.

You might want to check out the Toyota V6 3.slow radiator, those things are cooling 4.3 and 5.0 swaps. Might be a tight fit with the 7M but it works.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kalmah
That sucks, I was interested in checking out your swap.
yea yours too, i wanna hear that turbo spool up! i'm not thrilled about missing jambo, i'm finally getting to know some of the folks on these forums and i always seem to miss the big events.
You might want to check out the Toyota V6 3.slow radiator, those things are cooling 4.3 and 5.0 swaps. Might be a tight fit with the 7M but it works.
right now i have the aluminum-plastic replacement radiator for a 3.slow. it actually fits really well but its not very much bigger than a 22re radiator. i think my main issue is that i'm not pushing enough air. i have 4 cheap e-bay fans but there still doesn't seem to be near enough air movement in my engine bay. i really wish i could get a mechanical fan in there but i think the taurus fan would make a huge difference.

Last edited by liveoffroad; 07-11-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 AM

yea yours too, i wanna hear that turbo spool up! i'm not thrilled about missing jambo, i'm finally getting to know some of the folks on these forums and i always seem to miss the big events.
right now i have the aluminum-plastic replacement radiator for a 3.slow. it actually fits really well but its not very much bigger than a 22re radiator. i think my main issue is that i'm not pushing enough air. i have 4 cheap e-bay fans but there still doesn't seem to be near enough air movement in my engine bay. i really wish i could get a mechanical fan in there but i think the taurus fan would make a huge difference.
I'm trying to get a puller fan in there so I can get a bolt on trailgear bumper and a winch to fit. The other benefit is that puller fans are much more efficient than pushers, especially if you can keep the shroud. The Taurus/Volvo fan can move about 4000-5000 cfm which is impressive considering most aftermarket fans only move 3000 tops.

I also think I'm going to run without an intercooler initially until I can get something figured out (also in the way of the winch). I'll probably try to find a VW TDI/1.8T/GTI intercooler because they are small enough to mount in the engine bay and have good inlet/outlet positioning.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM

I got the radiator today, it's much smaller than I expected so we'll see how it holds up. We're going to have to do some additional hacking to get it to fit. It's hard to see but I've got the fan propped up behind it for size comparison. The shroud is still going to be much too deep so I'm going to have to hack it up. The crank pulley gives you next to no additional room.

Here's the fan by itself.

And here is the radiator held up in front of the truck.

Some additional progress has been completed including mounting the turbo and manifold, spark plugs, ignitor, injectors, oil pressure gauge, coolant temp gauge.

The upper intake manifold should go on tomorrow. My mechanic dented the hell out of the brake booster to get some clearance to get it on.

Still have some wiring to do, battery mounting, turbo plumbing, cooling, fuel lines, etc. Sounds like a lot but it's getting pretty close. I'm going to give him a hand for a few days next week to try to get it on the road by Thursday. He's a busy dude.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great build, i cant wait to see the finished product. makes me want to go to some driving in my 7mge runner lol keep up the good work!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 AM

lookin good!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM

I'm going to try to dedicate the next two days getting this done so hopefully I can get a startup video this week.

In the meantime my new Trail Gear bumper came in today.

Got her all painted up and fairlead mounted. I had to mount it upside down because of the shape of it, but it works...

Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 AM

I'd like to see how well a winch fits on that Trail Gear bumper with an intercooler right there. When I look at time, it looks like I won't be able to mount the intercooler high enough, but I'm also running an A/C condenser. I've got the same Trail Gear winch plate, but the tubing was done by Addicted Offroad.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14 AM

how's the radiator install coming, you ready for jambo? got my new radiator installed last night, gonna be wheeling at altitude this weekend so hopefully i can finally keep this thing cool!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Well, it looks like the wiring harness I got with the motor may have some issues so I might have to track down a new one. Turns out the ECU and harness are from a Toyota Soarer and for some reason is missing the AFM plugs and has some other problems like missing wires from the ECU connection. It doesn't look like my truck will be making it to the jambo this year...I still plan on going with the dude who bought DirtCo's old 4Runner.

Anyways, the clutch, fuel, and brake lines are all good to go. We are in the process of getting the alternator and power steering installed. Did some test fitting of the intercooler piping and also found out one of the intake pipes I got with an Apexi short ram might not work so I'll have to try to score an accordian pipe. There's a new shop up the street from my mechanic that has all sorts of intercooler and intake silicon piping so that has been a good resource so far.

Slave Cylinder all done.

Trail Gear battery box mounted up.

Throttle body and 3000 pipe mounted up.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM

The swap is coming along nicely! I will be doing one soon too, except it'll be a 7mge. If i like it good enough i may go gte.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM

how's the radiator install coming, you ready for jambo? got my new radiator installed last night, gonna be wheeling at altitude this weekend so hopefully i can finally keep this thing cool!
Radiator is one of the next things to get worked out. Are you wheeling local or are you gonna make it to the jambo?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 AM

didn't make it to jambo, had to go to a wedding in montrose. i got the truck out for a day in ouray tho. wish i coulda made jambo but there's always next year. the swap is lookin great!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM

Great build thread! Update?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM

looking good. reminds me of something.....
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM

I haven't updated in awhile but its still in progress and getting close. I suspect it will be up and running in a week or two.

Here are some progress pics.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:29 PM

lookin good! always takes longer than you think. let me know if you ever need a hand
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 AM

I haven't updated in awhile but its still in progress and getting close. I suspect it will be up and running in a week or two.
Is it running yet???
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Did the Rad Fit?
I got a used volvo rad like yours but it did not work. I am going to order a celica rad like egesledder did.

My upperrad hose was too close to my alt. Maybe I will just hack the Rad Craddle.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 PM

If you want puller fans, which I would recommend, you will definitely need to cut the radiator support. There just isn't enough room otherwise.

For what its worth, I haven't had any cooling issues of any kind yet with my setup. The outside temp as been fairly cool, but I've got a 2000' climb to go up every day and no over heating yet, even with a liberal amount of boost applied

kalmah, get this thing running!!!

Quick Reply: Kalmah's 7M-GTE Swap into 93 Pickup