All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Can't wait for BOOST! egesledder's 7mgte swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by egesledder
Yea, I think it's still just spinning the motor too fast on the interstate to get decent mileage with 4.56 and 33's. The turbo is pretty much constantly spooled at 75mph, which is around 3500 rpm with my setup. Power is NOT an issue, you really can just feather the throttle. I probably could have gone with 4.10's and have been fine with some 4.7's for the low range. Oh well, I guess it just means I NEED bigger tires, haha.

I think these gears should hold up fine, they're super quiet right now. My Yukon gears made a decent bit of noise even when new and set up correctly. One thing I did notice was that the Supra diff runs larger carrier bearings. I ran one of the stock supra bearings and one truck bearing when I swapped all the LSD stuff in, although with the full float setup, these bearings won't see nearly the load they would have.

I'm running the stock W56 transmission right now. It was rebuilt around 45,000 miles ago and worked excellent before I did the motor swap. It now makes bearing noise in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, so all the gears on the intermediate shaft. I'm just going to baby it for a few months and only drive it when I need it. To do it right, I'm figuring I'll need to spend around $1300 to swap in a Tacoma R150 with the Supra bellhousing/clutch, Marlin adaptor to my transfer case, new cross member, lengthen/shorten driveshafts, etc. After that's all done, this drivetrain should be super stout, ready for some more fun!
Sounds like fun and I can't wait!

I can't believe you could be having tranny problems already! BTW, I don't think the R150 w/ R154 bellhousing will mount right up because the tranny input shaft is too long. You will either need to cut and weld the bellhousing to fit or take the R154 input shaft and use it with the R150f which will also retain the R154's first gear. I haven't looked at it in awhile but I think that was the lowdown.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by kalmah
Sounds like fun and I can't wait!

I can't believe you could be having tranny problems already! BTW, I don't think the R150 w/ R154 bellhousing will mount right up because the tranny input shaft is too long. You will either need to cut and weld the bellhousing to fit or take the R154 input shaft and use it with the R150f which will also retain the R154's first gear. I haven't looked at it in awhile but I think that was the lowdown.
I've researched and measured everything pretty thoroughly, and I think I can make it work. The '96+ Tacoma R150 has a .25" longer input shaft. The spline length is the same and all other diameter dimensions are the same, so the throwout bearing should work fine. I'm fairly confident that it just needs a .25" spacer between the transmission and bellhousing to make everything line up.

You can't swap input shafts because the counter gears on the counter shaft are different between the R154 and both the old and new R150.

I found a bunch of useful information here:

http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/vi...&sd=a&start=60

Its mostly for 1uz swaps into cars, but the diagrams and info for the R154 is the good stuff.

If none of that works, I'll just fixture and weld a bellhousing.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM

I've researched and measured everything pretty thoroughly, and I think I can make it work. The '96+ Tacoma R150 has a .25" longer input shaft. The spline length is the same and all other diameter dimensions are the same, so the throwout bearing should work fine. I'm fairly confident that it just needs a .25" spacer between the transmission and bellhousing to make everything line up.

You can't swap input shafts because the counter gears on the counter shaft are different between the R154 and both the old and new R150.

I found a bunch of useful information here:

http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/vi...&sd=a&start=60

Its mostly for 1uz swaps into cars, but the diagrams and info for the R154 is the good stuff.

If none of that works, I'll just fixture and weld a bellhousing.

I just looked it up again as a refresher. The input shaft length is too long to correctly mate up. What alot of people are doing though is pulling the R154 front section and mating it with the R150f's output section all in the R150f's transmission housing. So it sounds like to go this route you get stuck with the cars gearing which may not be ideal for some people.

Check out this thread.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-possible.html
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 AM

I just looked it up again as a refresher. The input shaft length is too long to correctly mate up. What alot of people are doing though is pulling the R154 front section and mating it with the R150f's output section all in the R150f's transmission housing. So it sounds like to go this route you get stuck with the cars gearing which may not be ideal for some people.

Check out this thread.

Right, what I'm saying is that the input shaft length of the R154 is 7.25", the length of the pre-'96 R150 is 6.5", and the length of the post-'96 R150 is 7.5". Running the Tacoma ('96+) R150 with a .25" spacer between the transmission and supra bellhousing would take care of that difference.

The front bearing retainer (with shaft collar that the throw-out bearing rides on) can be switched between the two, although I think they have the same diameter and might be interchangeable. The spline length and pilot bearing diameters are identical. I'm also fairly certain the spline count is the same as well, although I haven't confirmed that yet. Even if they're different, you could just run a truck friction plate.

Does that make sense? Like I said, I'm fairly certain this should work.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Right, what I'm saying is that the input shaft length of the R154 is 7.25", the length of the pre-'96 R150 is 6.5", and the length of the post-'96 R150 is 7.5". Running the Tacoma ('96+) R150 with a .25" spacer between the transmission and supra bellhousing would take care of that difference.

The front bearing retainer (with shaft collar that the throw-out bearing rides on) can be switched between the two, although I think they have the same diameter and might be interchangeable. The spline length and pilot bearing diameters are identical. I'm also fairly certain the spline count is the same as well, although I haven't confirmed that yet. Even if they're different, you could just run a truck friction plate.

Does that make sense? Like I said, I'm fairly certain this should work.
Well either way let me know, I have a feeling I'll be looking at this problem in the future.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM

any video yet?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this thread.

I Successfully Hybrided my R154 with an R150F. I used the R154 Gears , input shaft and counter shaft and pressed the R154 gears on the R150F output shaft, then Supra Bellhousing! Also added MC Parts to spice it up. Only downside is I am stuck with the Chain case for now.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Doitzel_Kaiser
I Successfully Hybrided my R154 with an R150F. I used the R154 Gears , input shaft and counter shaft and pressed the R154 gears on the R150F output shaft, then Supra Bellhousing! Also added MC Parts to spice it up. Only downside is I am stuck with the Chain case for now.
That's excellent! I have a R154 sitting in my garage so it might be time to start looking for a R150f. Its going to be EXPENSIVE to convert my cases to 23 spline, 4.7 rear, new ouputs, and tranny adapter!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM

why don't you guys just fab up an adapter out of 1/4" steel plate? From what I've gathered from all the reading and research is that all it needs is a spacer to adapt the 96+ R150F to a 7m using the r154 bellhousing, right?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by schwyter
why don't you guys just fab up an adapter out of 1/4" steel plate? From what I've gathered from all the reading and research is that all it needs is a spacer to adapt the 96+ R150F to a 7m using the r154 bellhousing, right?
That is precisely what my plan is, as soon as I get the time. The truck is sitting at the moment because the transmission has got pretty bad and I'm planning on going with a 3-link front end here soon,
Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM

I'm slowly reading and learning about mk3 supras, as i would like to purchase one eventually, and you still have the most well-documented engine rebuild of the 7m that I've found. not sure if that's saying something bad about supra owners, or the level of meticulousness of truck owners.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Yea, it does seem that most supra owners seem to be the honda civic/ricer type and bought them just because they were cheap (and bro, it has a TURBO!!!), and then had no money to actually build them correctly.

If you do buy one, pay good money for one in excellent shape. They are built very well, but 20 years of negligent owners and expensive parts can make it a huge, expensive project fast.

Project update:

I just picked up a Tacoma transmission today and all the clutch parts/transfer case adapter parts are on their way. I'll take some pictures as I'm getting it together.

I'll be going with a 4WU 3-link setup as well here in the next couple months as well, check it out if you haven't seen it yet. Its got to be one of the nicest kits out there:

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/3-L...leSystems.html
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM

yea man I know all about it. after I posted that I found a bunch of nice supra builds, but I already know I don't want to "learn as I go" like I have been with my 22re.

and that's a legit link setup, have seen them before but not in a while. I guess it's not much talked about because it isn't Trail Gear haha
Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM

For anyone out there interested in doing this swap, I'm selling all the stuff to run your stock W56 transmission behind a 7m. I'm going to an R-series setup, so I don't need it anymore. I had 5000 miles on this setup before my transmission started making noises and I decided to upgrade rather than just replace it. This is a good way to go to cut some of the cost out of the initial swap, all the adapters/turbo clutch/parts can get expensive with the R-series setup very quickly, ask me how I know.

I'll take $150 for all of it if anyone is interested. I've got close to 300 total in all of this, so its a decent deal. PM me if you're interested.

-Clutch- Exedy, excellent shape, was new when I first did the swap
-Flywheel- Resurfaced at time of the swap
-Release bearing/hub- Nachi bearing, also new
-Release fork- complete with new clips
-W58 Bell housing
-Engine/transmission brackets for this setup
-Clutch slave cylinder- not pictured but it works and was recently rebuilt

Name:  DSC_2601.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  103.0 KB
Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM

any progress on the r150/154? i know you are waiting to get the link setup too, but have you tried hooking this sucker up?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM

I've had some decent progress on it, although I've been working more on getting ready for the 3-link parts to come in and lots of other small things. I still haven't ordered all the necessary clutch stuff needed to officially mount the transmission up there.

I'm actually leaning toward NO spacer between the bellhousing and transmission. When comparing the Tacoma R150 w/ R154 bellhousing to the W56 w/W58 bellhousing I just removed (see above), there is only about 3-4mm difference in the location of the input shaft relative to the block mating surface. Also, I'm measuring about 26mm from the bellhousing/engine surface to the end of the pilot bearing surface (as shown below). On the motor itself, I measured that same distance to be right around 25.5mm, but the pilot bearing can be pressed further into the crank if needed. Basically, it should all mount up just fine to the motor with no spacers necessary.

Name:  Screenshot2013-03-28at102452AM.png
Views: 620
Size:  15.1 KB

The clutch is a different story, although I'm fairly certain its workable. I haven't found out for certain yet, but I think I need to get the R154 front bearing retainer. It has the collar that the release bearing slides on. The reason its needed is that the collar diameter is different between the R150 and R154. Again, I'm still not 100% on that yet, but Driftmotion sells a new one for $81, so I'll just order it when I order the rest of the clutch stuff. If anyone has a R154 sitting around, see if the collar diameter is ~35mm or so, that's what the truck one is.

In other news, I just rebuilt my transfer case and got the inchworm adapter ready to go to put it behind the Tacoma tranny. I had to switch to the 23 spline input for the adapter, so I decided to throw in some new bearings and seals while it was apart. After 350k miles, it was probably not a bad idea, although the bearings I pulled out all seemed to be in decent shape. I almost went for the Marlin 30 spline outputs too, but I figured I'd wait until I break the ones I've got first, which probably won't happen.

Name:  DSC_2633.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  104.1 KB
Always fun, new parts!!
Name:  DSC_2635.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  115.3 KB
Mmmm... More BEEF:
Name:  DSC_2636.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  109.0 KB
Name:  DSC_2637.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  78.7 KB
Name:  DSC_2638.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  90.9 KB
Name:  DSC_2639.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  96.2 KB
Name:  DSC_2932.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  89.4 KB
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM

So I got all the clutch stuff in. Thanks to Mary at Driftmotion for some awesome prices! Its always fun getting a bunch of factory Toyota parts in the mail:

Name:  DSC_2954.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  104.8 KB

The supra clutch stuff is SUPER beefy compared to the pickup stuff. There are just so many heavy cast iron parts, it just makes you feel good inside. This is definitely a huge upgrade over the clutch setup I had before. For that matter, its better than most clutch setups I've seen.

Name:  DSC_2963.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  95.4 KB
Name:  DSC_2962.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  66.3 KB

Anyways, the release bearing fits just fine on the Tacoma front bearing retainer and has enough length to make it work. The transmission bolts up just fine, the longer input shaft just pushes the pilot bearing a bit deeper into its cavity.

REPEAT: Tacoma R150f transmission with the Supra bellhousing bolts up and functions correctly

I obviously haven't been able to take it for a drive yet, but the clutch functions as it should and the transmission spins when it should. I see no reason why it won't work.

Name:  DSC_2969.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  79.3 KB
Name:  DSC_2968.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  55.8 KB
Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Work
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM

So I haven't updated anything in a while, mostly because I've been waiting on suspension parts to come in. I have most of the stuff in now and I've been cranking away at it.

The most relevant thing for this thread would be the tunnel modifications for the new transmission. The supra bellhousing is quite about an inch or so longer than anything that came in these trucks, so that combined with a different transmission made the shifter move back around 1.25". I also now have an adapter plate in between the transmission and transfer case, so now the 2 shifters are a bit further apart. I wanted it all to look fairly stock still so instead of just cutting a bigger hole, I decided to move the transmission hole and all center console mounting brackets back 1.25". It was time for new carpet anyway, so I went ahead and did that too.

Name:  DSC_3634.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  DSC_3639.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  88.2 KB
Name:  DSC_3642.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  73.3 KB

In other news... I made a short shifter for the new Tacoma transmission. I lengthened the shaft below the fulcrum by around an inch and then made a spacer for the whole assembly. It works great! The throw is around 4.5 inches, stock was around 7 inches. I haven't cleaned it all up yet because it was more of an experiment at first, but now I know it will work. The best thing is that I have no money in it:

Name:  DSC_3693.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  59.6 KB
Name:  DSC_3690.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  105.7 KB
Name:  DSC_3687.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  78.3 KB

Also... the 3-link is coming along nicely, although its not really engine swap related:

Name:  DSC_3674.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  77.4 KB

Last edited by egesledder; 01-25-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM

WOW, awesome build! Your fabricator skills are pretty sweet!

Quick Reply: Can't wait for BOOST! egesledder's 7mgte swap