All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Bigtrucknwheels' 90 Pickup 7M-GE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I know, its been a long time... Let me just say this; my personal life has been full of turbulence since around November.

But alas, this is Yotatech, so I will spare you my sorrows and go on with the all important updates

I have gathered most all the parts I need to put this thing together; pretty sure I just need a t-stat, a dipstick, and some hoses and such. The motor is cleaned and ready to reassemble. The last of the dirty parts went through the parts washer tonight and the final batch of parts to paint will be taken care of this weekend. This motor was extremely dirty and rusty, but I'm pretty pleased with what a little elbow grease has yielded me.

I forgot to snap pics of the cleaned parts and painted block, but I promise I'll do that in the next few days

Where did we leave off? Since I've last posted, I pulled out the 22RE and cleaned the engine bay in prep for the 7M. I also tracked down an oil pan for 75 shipped (not too shabby). I have also successfully tapped the crankshaft out, took my time and was damn careful doing it; got the results I expected To make sure it was a success, I bought a brand new crank bolt and put the pulley on, tightened it as much as I could with my 1/2" drive and made sure it didn't strip or any of that other funny business.

And not too much else... I'll let the pics do the talking

I was sitting at home one day, when suddenly, a wild oil pan appeared...
Name:  IMAG0050.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  49.4 KB

It appeared to be of the frontsumpus cressidas variety
Name:  IMAG0051.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0054.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  77.7 KB

And now that there's not a 22RE in the way, the engine bay looks a lot bigger
Name:  IMAG0062.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0063.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  47.6 KB

one point to whoever can ID the movie on the dash
Name:  IMAG0064.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  56.6 KB

engine bay was looking pretty crumby, so I thought I'd clean it
Name:  IMAG0083.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  65.3 KB

Might as well get the frame rails and front diff while I'm at it haha
Name:  IMAG0084.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0085.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  50.1 KB

All clean! If I dare say, it looks incredibly better!
Name:  IMAG0090.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0091.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0092.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  57.9 KB

I'm excited to see the frame rail paint is still so well intact. In person, its actually glossy!
Name:  IMAG0093.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0094.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  55.7 KB

and to show you just how much crap I've had to clean
Name:  IMAG0111.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0112.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  45.3 KB

That's it for this update. Sorry to keep you guys waiting so long... I hope to keep working on this truck as I get a few hours here and there, and perhaps by summer, it will be done Thanks for reading!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Work! subscribed
Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Forrest Gump.

Great build, man!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:51 AM

Though I haven't run it with the pump, but after some head-scratching, I actually used the stock truck pressure line, with some gentle bending (old pulleys make great dies) and bit of twisting...it sticks up a bit, but it clears everything and, with no AC, I just made a tab off the steering box to hold it from vibrating too much. I mounted the reservoir just behind and down from the truck fuse box, and used some fittings to give me the directions I need. No cooler yet, probably do one up later. It may not be recommended, but that's what I've done...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mr Duke
Forrest Gump.

Great build, man!
Epic! Thanks for making my day. Its one of my favorite movies

Originally Posted by motorhead
Though I haven't run it with the pump, but after some head-scratching, I actually used the stock truck pressure line, with some gentle bending (old pulleys make great dies) and bit of twisting...it sticks up a bit, but it clears everything and, with no AC, I just made a tab off the steering box to hold it from vibrating too much. I mounted the reservoir just behind and down from the truck fuse box, and used some fittings to give me the directions I need. No cooler yet, probably do one up later. It may not be recommended, but that's what I've done...
Hmm, good idea. I will certainly keep this in mind when I decide what I want to do. Though I haven't posted it, for now, I am just going to link the 22RE reservoir directly to the gear box and go manual steering until I decide what I want to do.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 AM

Bump! Finish this thing!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hachigo87
Bump! Finish this thing!
I'm ashamed to admit that this truck is just languishing in my garage right now, engine still on the stand and disassembled. I did manage to get the oil pan and existing pickup tube modified and working well together, but that's as far as I got......
Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels

I'm ashamed to admit that this truck is just languishing in my garage right now, engine still on the stand and disassembled. I did manage to get the oil pan and existing pickup tube modified and working well together, but that's as far as I got......
Bring it down to me, I'll give it a good home.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cyberman
Bring it down to me, I'll give it a good home.
hehehe you wish, though I would trust that you actually would - much more so than many guys on the forums. Always loved your work and your truck

The trouble is, I bought a Cummins pickup in the summer of 2012, so a lot of my 'play' money and time has been spent on that thing. It is getting some major mechanical work this spring + a new paint job, and then I'm done with it for a while.

In other words, when this last round of improvements on the Cummins is done, no new projects will be permitted for that truck until this little red Toyota is done
Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Then get it done! Any wiring info? I'm interested in this or a gte swap (NA most likely, I can't afford the transmission I'd need for 300rwhp daily) for my truck, so it'd be interesting to know. Also, will you be repinning or soldering? I know repinning is not the "in" thing to do, but using toyota connectors, it seems like it could work and be a spotless install that way.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 87blackbeauty
Then get it done! Any wiring info? I'm interested in this or a gte swap (NA most likely, I can't afford the transmission I'd need for 300rwhp daily) for my truck, so it'd be interesting to know. Also, will you be repinning or soldering? I know repinning is not the "in" thing to do, but using toyota connectors, it seems like it could work and be a spotless install that way.
I do have some wiring info somewhere - I saved it from a site a few years back for all combos of motors and trucks they had available.

Regarding the engine plug, I will definitely be repinning - I can't think of a good reason not to. Solder joints are one more point of failure and make the connection bigger around (bulky). Plus, who wouldn't love the look of a factory fresh harness that plugs in like the motor came in the truck to begin with.

Now, acquiring the pins, that's a whole other adventure. The local parts counter guy is stupid as could be, and also very lazy - he said that Toyota doesn't sell pins. BS!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM

If anyone who has successfully completed a 22RE-7MGE swap could help me out with some wiring I would greatly appreciate it! I really don't know how to use or navigate this forum very well so if anyone could Email me at Diamond2382prelude@yahoo.com that'd be great. I put a 1986.5 supra 7mge into my 1994 pickup 22re and have it really but am lacking something in the wiring department.

I have searched and searched but noone simplifies the wiring in exact terms and also the harness from the supra engine is unlike the ones I have been able to find build threads on. I assume this is because it's an 86.5 which was the changeover year for supra body styles.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Subscribed !! Found a 7mge/trans/ accessories/harness/ ecu for 100$. Gonna grab it while I can even if I don't end up using it.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by crazytexan
Subscribed !! Found a 7mge/trans/ accessories/harness/ ecu for 100$. Gonna grab it while I can even if I don't end up using it.
Some guys have all the luck.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 PM

So it has been forever since I have been on, but I am finally getting to my install. I’m looking for updates from you guys!
Old 01-18-2024, 09:23 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
7 year thread resurrection I know. Did you end up ever getting this all going? I currently have a 7m at the machine Shop and am attempting the same build. Otherwise, if you have the header or other parts, DM me for sale of said items.