All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

86 and 94 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 and 94 engine swap

so this is what ive got and looking for some info. right now im rocking a 86 2wd with a 84 22r running a heddman header and a 32/36 (if i remember ) webber carb. the truck has zero egr anything on it , and the only vacuum llines i have on it are to the brake booster and the pcv . ive got it set perfectly .. simple.. and about a week ago i got a deal on a 94 ext cab 4x4 but the deal is tht it had "just" a blown head gasket. well being a decent toyota mechanic i took the head off to find the cylinder walls were destroyed and the deck and head were warped. now this engine is going on the work bench to get rebuilt. and in the mean time i need the 94 up and running cuz the 86 is needing work and im having issues getting parts and i need a reliable vehicle. i know the 94 spedo is electric not cable driven so my main question is can i remove the ecu and still have my spedo work? or does tht sensor run through the ecu? cuz i plan to pull the tranny wires out of the wire harness so i dont have a mass of wires in my engine bay until the re is finished and my other question is will the newer coil and ignitor work without the ecu and be compatible with my older engine? i know i know everyone is going to say stick with efi.. right now its not practical to due to the money involved to get my 22re engine back up and going. plus i dont want to go through the hassle of swapping over every sensor and wire and hose onto the 22r long block so can i just pull the 22re out swap in my 22r throw in the 86 gas tank hook up the distributor and alternator and fuel and run it? AND I DONT NEED ANYONES OPINION ON EFI VS CARB..THIS IS WHAT I NEED INFO ON cuz its gonna happen so if we could stick to tht and not diss my objective to get a reliable vehicle running ? i appreciate any info.. not carb slander.... i get

Last edited by vtmtnsoldier; 09-16-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to run the carb'd 22r in the 94 that's your business, but I don't think I'd hack up 94 the harness for the sake of getting the 22r to run until you get the 22re rebuilt. If you really don't need a 4x4 why not drop the engine and transmission into the 94 and run it as a 2wd until you rebuild the 94 engine. You only need a start and charge circuit and ignition circuit to make it run. You could swap in a non Sr5 pre speed sensor combination meter (90 or 92) for your idiot lights and speedometer or forget about a speedometer and use a gps and stick some aftermarket gauges in to monitor your engine. If you don't touch the 94 harness then when you get the engine rebuilt it's a drop in with no hassles with trying to put the wiring harness back to stock.
Just another option!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM

well i appreciate the insight.. give me another option i hadnt thought of... ill ponder my options
Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM

so all it took was cutting the e tape holding the harness together and pulling out the wiring to the tranny and cutting 5 wires tht went into the harness not related to the tranny. and my speedo works. now all im gonna go is put in the coil out of the 86 and run a hot wire to it off the ign switch and plug it all in... and if i throw the re back in i have to splice 5 wires .. no big.. and then plug the harness back in.. easy .. way to easy