All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

7MGTE into '86 2wd!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7MGTE into '86 2wd!

So I've been reading and reading and reading and reading and I've finally made up my mind that I'm dropping a 7MGTE into my '86 single cab long bed. I think I have my game plan nailed down. I haven't been able to find any other 22r to 7mgte swaps in a 2wd but I think that might make things a little more simple for me since I don't have a front diff to clear or a transfer case to worry about. I want to use the Supra tranny which if I'm understanding correctly I'll just need to do some hacking on the tranny well? and I'll need a shorter driveline?

I'm on the hunt for an entire running car, I'm not into dragging things out for months on end trying to hunt down all the small odds and ends. I have a good friend that is at the wholesale auctions at least once a week so I got him on the lookout. Also I'm in California so my 1st goal is to get it to pass inspection and smog. After it's legal I'll go back and do the small amount of mods I have planned. I don't currently have AC or power steering so I may add that stuff in sometime down the road since I'll have the parts to do it but all I'm really shooting for here is to make my little beater dirt bike hauler a little more fun to drive.

And here's my questions:

I can't find anything on whether or not my gauges are going to work? I don't have a problem with adding aftermarket gauges since my cluster doesn't even include a tach. But like I said I really just want to get it bar'd and than I'll worry about that kind of stuff. I'm going to be leaving the engine stock at first anyway so I have no need for the 37 gauges I see in other trucks.

I do however want to run the LSD from the Supra considering I get the 1 wheel spin without even hammering it with the 90 H.P. I have now... I've read a couple things saying that it'll drop straight into my rear end and than I read other things saying it won't? What Toyota rear end does the LSD drop in to?

Oil pan... Anybody know if the Supra pan will work for me? or am I going to be hunting down a cressida pan as well? I could always build my own pan like I've seen other guys do, I have the tools and have been in metal work my whole life but honestly that small delicate stuff like that drives me bonkers. I'd much rather just buy a pan drill the new dipstick hole and bolt it up.

Other than that I'm pretty sure all I need to shop around for is some 5m motor mounts, an inline fuel pump, and an electric pusher fan setup?

Unless of course I've completely missed something and can't find any swaps in a 2nd gen 2wd because it's just completely impossible?

Last edited by 2SiX; 03-04-2015 at 10:31 PM.