All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

3RZ Info please

Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3RZ Info please

I am planning my engine swap for my 94 Xcab.

I am between building up a 22RE and a somewhat stock 3RZ.

There is more than enough info out there on the 22RE however I am not finding much on swapping in a 3RZ. Most direct me to the Marlin Crawler site but even that is very limited.

Anyone with help on the following, please chime in.

Does anyone make 3RZ motor mounts? Ive found some custom builds but it appears that no one sales them.

Any reason I should settle for a 2RZ? I understand they are just a little less powerful but more plentful to find.

Will the 3RZ bolt to my bell housing? I understand it will for the 3.0 setup and the 22RET, but cannot find an actual answer for the standard 22RE 5speed setup.

(may have more Q's in the near future)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 2RZ upper mounts will bolt to the 22R lower mounts with minor reaming of the bolt holes. It's been done a few times with the Celica guys. A 3RZ might also.

The 3RZ will bolt to an R series with the right bellhousing. I think that W series bellhousing also exist but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hello Sportsmanphil,

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
I am between building up a 22RE and a somewhat stock 3RZ.
This is like the difference between using a 14.4 kbps modem and a fiber optics connection. There are so many reasons why the 3RZ is superior to the 22R-E it is crazy. The 3RZ makes more torque at 1,500 RPM than the 22R-E does at its peak! It makes better gas mileage, burns cleaner, can be OBD-II scanned, has fewer external parts, etcetera.

....I am not finding much on swapping in a 3RZ. Most direct me to the Marlin Crawler site but even that is very limited.
Have you seen our 20+ page long Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread located at http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19275.0 ? The first page alone has enough information to answer all of these questions.

Does anyone make 3RZ motor mounts?
Commercially? Not that I know of.

Any reason I should settle for a 2RZ? I understand they are just a little less powerful but more plentful to find.
Absolutely not. If you are going to go through the work of doing an engine conversion, quite frankly you would be foolish to settle for the 2RZ. The 2RZ is just a cleaner burning 22R-E with the same lack of power. If you are considering this conversion for a vast increase in power, then I promise you will be disappointed with the 2RZ.

Will the 3RZ bolt to my bell housing
The 2RZ and 3RZ will bolt directly to any W- or G-series 5-speed transmission using the 1995+ T100/Tacoma W59 bellhousing. You'll use the 3RZ starter, flywheel, clutch, clutch fork assembly and clutch slave cylinder setup. Everything is a bolt on ordeal.

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
The 3RZ will bolt to an R series with the right bellhousing.
There are two bellhousings for this. The first is the Marlin Crawler 3RZ R-series bellhousing, and the second is a 2005+ Toyota 2TR-FE bellhousing. When the 2TR came out, Toyota finally equipped it with a R-series transmission (like they should have with the 3RZ). Surprisingly, the TR-block has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the RZ. Once we discovered this we decided the only logical thing to do with our bellhousing was to unfortunately discontinue it. Therefore, the only option at this time is to locate a 2TR bellhousing in order to place a R-series transmission behind a 2RZ or 3RZ.

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
If I remember correctly, the 2RZ upper mounts will bolt to the 22R lower mounts with minor reaming of the bolt holes.
I've done the conversion 4 times and never needed any reaming of the bolt holes. The easiest method is to use modified RZ-style upper brackets with stock R-style lower brackets, and then it becomes a bolt-in swap with zero frame modifications. Please look at the details of Bevin's 3RZ swap located here: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=13826.0

You owe it to your curiosity and consideration (for such a large project as an engine swap) to invest at least a half hour into our Official 3RZ Knowledge thread. After that I'd be happy to answer any more questions you're sure to come up with!

3RZ-powered since 2004

The 3RZ runs great at 10,000+ ft elevation:

With 37" MTRs and 5.29:1 gears, I'll make 21 MPG cruising at 65 MPH or 18 MPG cruising at 80 MPH. I LOVE THE 3RZ!

Regards,
BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 02-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn that looks easy.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want a 3rz in my '95 !!!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one more thing sports man just a note. Offroadsolutions even thoe the website say they are closed. I recently e-mailed them about the product line. I was told they are slowly coming back and he said they are carrying the harness to plug your 22re truck into the 3rz-fe so you wont half to go hacking your harness. I would just assume do it yourself for the price of $700 but the option is thier if you need it.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap parts

Here are a couple places to get swap parts to help out.
Chilkat Designs has swap motor mounts.
Toy Only Swaps sells wiring setups for conversions.
Tell them Rory the shifter guy sent you.
Mike,
Seriously how much different is there between the 2RZ and 3RZ, data shows way more power than a 22RE and only minimal difference between them. One of my buddies has one swapped in his and he can just walk away from me in low low range and he's running 4.10's ,5 speed 4.7's and I have 4.88's auto, dual 2.28's. There are 2RZ's everywhere around here but no 3RZ's or 5VZ's.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
Seriously how much different is there between the 2RZ and 3RZ, data shows way more power than a 22RE and only minimal difference between them. One of my buddies has one swapped in his and he can just walk away from me in low low range and he's running 4.10's ,5 speed 4.7's and I have 4.88's auto, dual 2.28's. There are 2RZ's everywhere around here but no 3RZ's or 5VZ's.
Torque curve is different. That chart is on the marlin board.
Other then that the engines are basically the same, the 3RZ is just bored out more.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM

so i want to do a motor swap in my 94 toyota so what are your guys opinions on the 21r vs the 4bt like power and reliability vs cost
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 PM

would it be easier to get custom gauges and what not than to mess with the harness? custom dash as well...but that's me...lol. More money less problems?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM

I don't have any experience with the 2RZ, but we do have a local customer here who swapped his 22-RE for a 2RZ in a rig running 40s, and he said on road driving is only a slight improvement in power. He did say he was getting better gas mileage. I'd think it has to be noticeably better but he didn't seem too enthused...

SlightlyWhat: Connecting the gauges in my opinion is the easy part of an engine conversion, and one of the most rewarding because you get to see everything finally coming to life. All you need to connect are one wire for the tach (for distributor models), one wire for oil pressure, and one wire for coolant pressure. So you've got 3 wires to solder for the gauges and that's it! Then just solder in the two speed sensor wires, charge lamp, check engine lamp, what else... ignition switch and you're ready to start her up for the first time! I think it would be more work to switch to an aftermarket gauge cluster.

Here is a video of me beating a 22R-E powered Formula Toy, and I was fully loaded with all my camping and recovery gear!

Last edited by BigMike; 01-02-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BigMike
I don't have any experience with the 2RZ, but we do have a local customer here who swapped his 22-RE for a 2RZ in a rig running 40s, and he said on road driving is only a slight improvement in power. He did say he was getting better gas mileage. I'd think it has to be noticeably better but he didn't seem too enthused...

SlightlyWhat: Connecting the gauges in my opinion is the easy part of an engine conversion, and one of the most rewarding because you get to see everything finally coming to life. All you need to connect are one wire for the tach (for distributor models), one wire for oil pressure, and one wire for coolant pressure. So you've got 3 wires to solder for the gauges and that's it! Then just solder in the two speed sensor wires, charge lamp, check engine lamp, what else... ignition switch and you're ready to start her up for the first time! I think it would be more work to switch to an aftermarket gauge cluster.

Here is a video of me beating a 22R-E powered Formula Toy, and I was fully loaded with all my camping and recovery gear!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUHZBh7PFYQ

Where's the like button in this business?! lol.
That's awesome. I had thought's of just finding a T100 with a 3rz? and working with that. I have a single cab 93 pickup partial pre-runned.
I want more space in the cab...I feels too cramped.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM

2rz

I run a 2RZ in my '82, I have the whole swap documented here, 2RZ Swap Chilkat Designs sells swap engine mounts, bolts right up.
Definitely more power than my 22R/Weber/header motor, and it revs to the max, awesome stuff. I'm currently rebuilding the 2RZ with a header and performance cams, can't wait (350,000mi on motor).
I used the entire 96 Taco harness and gauge cluster. It's all in the build thread.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 PM

Heard that if I am going to putting money I might as well go 2.7.
Quick question...how long would/likely will a w56 hold up in a 3rz?
I was wondering if I would need to find the supra or turbo trans?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyWhat
Quick question...how long would/likely will a w56 hold up in a 3rz?
Toyota designed the 3RZ to use the W-series transmission (the W59), so the answer would be how long do 4cyl Tacoma's last? 250k miles? 300k? Toyota also offered a Supercharger for the 3RZ that did not require any modifications to the transmission yet it did not void the drivetrain warranty. So Toyota is fully confident that the W-series transmission is at least able to handle 45% more torque than the 3RZ engine.

For the purpose of this topic, the W59 is no different than the W56 in strength.

Keep in mind that the W-series has been used in full size cars such as the Supra with a 2.8-liter inline 6-cylinder, the Soarer with a twin turbo 2-liter inline 6, and even the Lexus IS300 behind a 2JZ 3-liter inline 6. I run a W56 behind my 3RZ and have never doubted its ability.

Originally Posted by SlightlyWhat
I was wondering if I would need to find the supra or turbo trans?
Because this option is available, if you can fit it into your budget, then I would do it (I'd go with the hard to find and more expensive 1986-87 R151F Turbo). But this certainly is not a requirement of a 3RZ conversion. It's merely added insurance.

Regards,
BigMike
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BigMike
Toyota designed the 3RZ to use the W-series transmission (the W59), so the answer would be how long do 4cyl Tacoma's last? 250k miles? 300k? Toyota also offered a Supercharger for the 3RZ that did not require any modifications to the transmission yet it did not void the drivetrain warranty. So Toyota is fully confident that the W-series transmission is at least able to handle 45% more torque than the 3RZ engine.

For the purpose of this topic, the W59 is no different than the W56 in strength.

Keep in mind that the W-series has been used in full size cars such as the Supra with a 2.8-liter inline 6-cylinder, the Soarer with a twin turbo 2-liter inline 6, and even the Lexus IS300 behind a 2JZ 3-liter inline 6. I run a W56 behind my 3RZ and have never doubted its ability.

Because this option is available, if you can fit it into your budget, then I would do it (I'd go with the hard to find and more expensive 1986-87 R151F Turbo). But this certainly is not a requirement of a 3RZ conversion. It's merely added insurance.

Regards,
BigMike
Awesome.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Soooo much wiring...

How bout I drive my truck to Cali and drop it off at your shop for a month Big Mike? I'll trade you a decent 22re for the labor
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Might have to toss in a freshly brewed ice tea to sweeten the deal a bit
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Us southerners can do tea :grin:

I hope I get another hundred or so thousand miles out of my 22RE so I don't have to deal with the wiring of a swap anytime soon. But I do miss the pep of the 3rz I had in my '95 tacoma.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM

What's the problem with 3RZ wiring anyway? Here I am working on Bevin's 3RZ conversion back in 2005

Oh man that looks like so much fun I just wish I could that every day. Said no one ever.

BigMike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3RZ Info please