All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

3.slow to 22re???? yes? no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.slow to 22re???? yes? no?

whoever designed the idea of using the 3.slow in this engine compartment should be shot or locked in a padded cell. Either that or he had VERY tiny hands among brain cells.
I changed my valve cover gaskets last evening, you don't wanna know the words I had involved in doing this task.
As we all no there is NO room in the eng. compartment and you CANNOT reach all the vacuum lines without some abrasion or blood on the hands unless you decide to lift the motor (I opted out of pulling the hood and tires to get a lift on engine, prolly shoulda tho). I stopped counting vacuum lines as I would have needed to go to college to count so high (lmao...you get my idea here). A pain in the A** around the fuel management and injector harnesses.
So I was wondering, would anyone care to comment on my thinking of removing my 230k 3.slow and replacing it with a 22re, maybe turbocharged at some time.
Does the 5spd. trans. interchange?
an idea of what would be neccessary to change is what I am looking for. will I have to go as far as changing out a bunch of driveline or would it be a fairly simple swap?
No I do not have another 22r runner or truck for parts, this will be a shoot from the hip project.
I mean I know I can get very similar power from the 4 banger as I could the whopping 150h/180tq the 3 vze claims to have.

So I changed the Valve cover gaskets to alleviate a fairly sizable drip problem, only to find it is still present (though I have stopped the wetness at the v. cover to head seam). I have, upon further investigation, come to the conclusion that it is seeping, no, leaking, from the oil hole cover plate which in itself looks like a real B**** to get to itself.
What I am getting at is I dont want to aGAIN put a size 12 foot in a size 10 shoe. Anyone done this swap for convenience before? or is it going to be a complete pain and have to exchange a bunch of parts beside motor and poss. tran.?
I AM REALLY HATING THE DESIGNERS OF THE 2ND GEN. ENGINE COMPARTMENT DECISIONS!!!.
Thanks fellas.
yes cussing the designers! (as I stroked the dash and cooed at my baby)..lmao

Last edited by DIRT CLOD; 02-21-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a hard swap involving relocating the motor mount perches on the frame as well as all the usual wiring/ECU swap stuff. Plus the bell housings are different so the tranny won't bolt up. Much easier to swap a 3.4. BTW you will have more room in the engine bay with the 3.4 too, less extra crap with the newer 3.4 engine (like EGR and that huge birds nest of vac lines the 3.0 has).
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

so the 3.4 has the same bell housing? I would welcome the room for sure. Though wont I still need to replace the ECU and wiring harness? the mounts are the same loc.? sweet if so.... I dont mind welding some mounts in for the 2.4 but I could get much more out of the 3.4.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, yes and yes.

More here:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f159/
Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you could do a 22re and it would bolt into the tranny if you could find a turbo bellhousing from an r151, your tranny to 22re!! and fab some motor mounts, on the other hand those are like a needle in a haystack and i would go with a 3.4, if you really want a 4cyl go with the 2.7 out of a taco and find a bell, 2.7 has about same output as 3vze
Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

well, I found a 7mge ...no t..lol... even plausible to swap?... I can pick it up for a cpl undred bucks to build/
Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM

so say i have a 22r and the trans/tcase to match it, with the motor mounts, will it just swap into my 89 ex cab?

1) what else will i need? cross member? all cabling fit together? its a carbed 22r. things like gas lines or gas tank?

2) will the power steering pump swap over if i get the 22r PS pump bracket?

3) how about the AC pump?

4) will it matter if the trans and tcase are from a shortbed pickup?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

from what i understand the chassis are the same as mine and everything said above would apply to yours as well... I believe the only differance in as far as the whole shortbed thing is just drive shaft length.
I dont know which way to go myself... I found cam nois now in the right bank, or pass. side. Then I have noise that sounds like it is coming from the fuel rail on the drivers side bank. paid unholy amounts of cash for a new fuel pressure regulator and does not seem to made a diff... freakin 120 bucks for a regulator diaghram....uggghhh....

Messed up part id none of this was happening before I cahnged the valve cover gaskets... i had to remove the upper intake (you all know) ??/ I am DAMNED sure everything went back appropriately 9maybe a vac. prob though now????) arrgghh
Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

230k...is it over now...