1UZFE swap 92 X-tra cab R151 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome work. I bet its fun to drive.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motoriderbc
Thanks for all the comments, it's been a year since the swap was finished and I still love it!

Using the stock ECM wouldn't be any more work as long as you have the Lexus harness to start with.

I'd have to check on the template to see if it's around still. I've moved since the swap, it might have been lost.

I did not retain my A/C. I'm sure it's possible to do, but it would take alot of engineering. Besides the engine sounds so good you want to drive with the window open all the time
Well I am interested in doing the swap, my only real concern is the bell housing and flywheel. Its much cheaper to start with the 1UZ over the 5vz and I have a fairly good background in fab and wiring so I'm sure its not to far beyond my skill.

Great job again!!! Must sounds awesome!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 AM

How has the loss of ground clearance been? And I live in AZ so I need to figure out how to make the a/c work. 115 degrees doesn't bother me to much cause I work outside all day but not many girls would want to drive around with me lol.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by motoriderbc

II tomorrow.
What did you do for the fuel pump? I know from the donor cars 1uz's originally have a 2 speed fuel pump what did you do to cover that?

How did you have any difficulty getting the tach and speedo to work?

Also other than what you took in the picture above was there anything else involved in connecting the 1uz to the 5 speed? Dont you have to custom mount a slave cylinder and do something with the clutch fork too? or something along those lines or was that all you had to do to bolt it all up

also would anything change if i had a r150f instead?

thanks

By the way very very nice write up very helpful!!!!!

Last edited by RoBatt; 03-24-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrddk92
How has the loss of ground clearance been? And I live in AZ so I need to figure out how to make the a/c work. 115 degrees doesn't bother me to much cause I work outside all day but not many girls would want to drive around with me lol.
Ground clearance hasn't been an issue so far. I guess in the right situation you might want the extra 1" of the original crossmember.

If I lived in Az I would have for sure tried to retain the A/C. Gotta keep the chicks happy
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by RoBatt
What did you do for the fuel pump? I know from the donor cars 1uz's originally have a 2 speed fuel pump what did you do to cover that?

How did you have any difficulty getting the tach and speedo to work?

Also other than what you took in the picture above was there anything else involved in connecting the 1uz to the 5 speed? Dont you have to custom mount a slave cylinder and do something with the clutch fork too? or something along those lines or was that all you had to do to bolt it all up

also would anything change if i had a r150f instead?

thanks

By the way very very nice write up very helpful!!!!!
I used my stock fuel pump and lines, it has worked perfectly fine. Never had a lean out under WOT.

The stock electronic speedo works without any mods. The speed sensor signal is converted in the the speedo head itself. In other words the ECM can be removed entirely and the speedo will still work.

Since I converted the 1UZFE ignition over to Ford EDIS (distributorless) a convertor box had to be made. Basically you connect the stock V6 tach to 3 of the 4 EDIS coils, which gives an accurate signal. The convertor box is easily made up with a few diodes. It's purpose is to keep the the coils isolated from each other.

If your using the stock ignition the job should be easier. The 1UZFE basically uses 2 seperate 4 cylinder igniton systems. Replace your V6 tach with a 4cyl tach. Then hook your tach wire on the truck harness to the tach output on the Lexus harness.( Only 1 coil has a tach output on the Lexus harness)
In theory that should work, but maybe someone else can chime in who has actually done it.

Besides the adapter plate for the bellhousing and milling 3/8" off the bellhousing the only thing I had to do was shim the clutch fork pivot out about 3/16". It's easy to do, just add a couple washers under the pivot stud. That gave the proper spacing between the fork and the slave cylinder.
The slave bolts up normally, you just need to make a new hose bracket and a new hardline from hose to slave cyl.

I don't think there would be and difference with a R150.

Thanks for reading the wall of text...lol
Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the response
just a couple more questions haha
one thing i noticed about your swap that is different is that you made an adapter plate that lets you retain the stock bell housing which i like alot other adapter plates make you use the 1uz bell housing which means custom mounting a slave cylinder and a howe bearing (if i understand correctly) which is more complicated and expensive
would it be expensive for a machine shop to make me an adapter? are they even capable of making one?
also is that hole in the bell housing you made for the starter clearance a problem waiting to happen? Do you mud whatever you dropped the engine into?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions but i must learn
Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 PM

I'm sure any machine shop could make an adapter, might be expensive since it's labor intensive.

The starter clearence hole isn't an issue for me, it's a high and dry location. I don't run deep mud tho. You could easily fabricate a sheet metal cover if you were concerned about it.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM

so to do this with no bodylift i am going to have ro get a custom oilpan made? and what about the manifols, would i have to do anything spesial for them to work?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM

This is pretty cool. What did you use for the pilot bearing? Is the ring gear from the MR2 the same diameter? Was it as simple as having the bolt hole circle filled and redrilled?

Cheers
Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

i'm looking for more power(who isn't? lol) but i would also like to be above 20mpg with 5.29's and 35s
Old 04-14-2012, 02:16 AM

MY GOD!

This swap is absolutely amazing! I'm bookmarking this in case I never need to use it in the future Rofl.