3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Toyota Red Coolant OK with Copper/Brass Radiator and Heater Core?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
Toyota Red Coolant OK with Copper/Brass Radiator and Heater Core?

Had my mind made up to get some Toyota red coolant for my 3.4 swap.

Now I see an article saying the Toyota red is designed to be used in an ALL aluminum system. Well, besides the iron block.

My 99 4Runner donor had all aluminum in the cooling and heating system. My 88 still has a 3 Row Copper/Brass rad and heater core.

What should I run?

Last edited by aztoyman; 07-07-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 PM

I have been reading a TON of threads about Red VS. Green coolant. Only found a couple mentions of the Copper/Brass radiator compatibility.

I read NO, the Toyota red will NOT protect Copper/Brass rads.

I also read that Toyota Red (Long Life) WILL but, Toyota Pink (Super Long Life?) will NOT.

Nobody?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 PM

I just copied this from one site I have looked at. Seems very informative but, I have found a lot of conflicting information. I would like to get some feedback from YotaTech 3.4 Swappers. What are you guys that have Copper/Brass rads running?

Organic Acid Technology (OAT)

OAT includes such ingredients as sebacate (Toyota & Honda), 2-ethylhexanoic acid (2-EHA) and other organic acids, but no silicates or phosphates (except in the case of Toyota's pink extended-life coolant, which adds a dose of phosphate to its extended-life OAT-based antifreeze).
Organic inhibitors do not deplete as quickly as the inorganic inhibitors used in conventional coolants.

OAT is recommended in engines with aluminum components (heads or radiators) because Borates can be bad for them.
OAT coolants also have extended lives, up to 150,000 mi. OAT corrosion inhibitors provide excellent long-term protection for aluminum and cast iron, but may not be the best choice for older cooling systems that have copper/brass radiators and heater cores, especially the lead solder used in them. It depends on the formula.

One very important thing to keep in mind here is that universal coolants and extended-life coolants are NOT lifetime coolants. The corrosion inhibiters in all types of coolant eventually wear out and must be replenished by changing the coolant. After 5 years of service, most coolants still need to be changed. Leave the old coolant in too long and the cooling system will experience corrosion problems.

The new universal coolants use unique OAT-based corrosion packages with proprietary organic acids (such as carboxylate) to provide broad spectrum protection.

Last edited by aztoyman; 07-05-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 PM

Well maybe I answered my own question. I may just go with traditional GREEN antifreeze.

Protects ALL my metals BUT.......needs to be changed at least every 3 years or 30,000 mile to remain effective.

Plus, if I have an emergency need for some coolant, it's cheaper and easier to find. Many people carry it off road.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For what it is worth both my 3.4 engines run the 3 row copper brass radiators.

As of yet I see no ill effects .

Then also I am not going to run any coolant more then a few years at most.

I just changed radiator hoses and installed new Toyota Red on the one.