3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  001a-7.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  356.0 KB

Last edited by DeathCougar; 08-23-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Finally!
Here's the entire wiring harness for the 3.4 as well as the engine harness for the 3.0. In less than an hour this entire package will be on its way to Cliff at Toyonly Swaps in Oregon. In three weeks I will get back a plug and play harness. If I were 40 years old, I would do this myself, but being 63, I'd rather have it done and go camping!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You have too many IMG codes in there. All you need is [IMG] and [/IMG] and the link in between the codes.

In fact, Photobucket makes it simple by giving you a share/copy menu on your picture. The 4th option is "IMG Code" Just copy and paste that whole code, and viola!

Btw, I hope you cut the pipe open before you welded lol

Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM

And by the way, thanks RMA for getting me on board with the pics stuff.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Staff

She looks right at home

Name:  003a-3.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  406.1 KB
Old 08-23-2011, 03:06 PM

are you going to have a custom fab hood scoop? that would look prety dang cool, as long as its not over the top. if not i saw a few guys use skateboard bearings to shim up the back of the hood. not the best looking in my op. but to each his own
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM

I'll have a hood scoop made while I'm waiting on the wiring. The mechanical stuff was completed today: the alternator did hit the steering box and we fixed that problem by modifying the swing bracket and getting a shorter belt. It's still close, but the belt is tight and there is at least 3/8 inch of travel left. The power steering hard lines had to be swapped and the ends changed out--small stuff. I used the 3.0 radiator and fan. Perfect fit, but I do have to find the hoses; if I can't find, I'll have them made--one set plus a backup should get me to the end! Tomorrow I'll finish the exhaust system, then I'm just waiting on the harness. I'm about 90% sure that I'll add the supercharger, but I definitely want to try the thing out with this basic engine before I do that. I think I can tow a small boat with this rig if I have the sc!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM

Toyota Sunrader Motorhome 3.0 upgrades

Howdy,
New Member with a 1989 Sunrader Motorhome. My 3.0 is OK but a bit week, I need some steps to add a bit more power.
Any help out there on this project
Thanks
Boy
Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by Sunrader Boy
Howdy,
New Member with a 1989 Sunrader Motorhome. My 3.0 is OK but a bit week, I need some steps to add a bit more power.
Any help out there on this project
Thanks
Boy
1. Remove your engine
2. ?????????
3. Profit!!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 PM

1989 Toyota Sunrader 3.0

it's a dually, so the engine swap may be a bit to do.
I'm hoping for some basic mods or add ons that may help this 3.0 engine breath better?. A newbie looking for some workable knowledge.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Staff

You posted in a thread where a guy is doing a conversion on a motorhome.

Read the thread, and follow along. That ought to give you some ideas. We also have a rather extensive 3.4L swap section which will answer any and all questions you have.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Sunrader
If you need more power, and who doesn't, swapping the 3.4 is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. Here's what I've learned over the past month:
1) Get a T100 donor (2wd, automatic) and buy the entire vehicle--if you think you might EVER want a super charger, get a '97 or '98, so that you won't have problems with the ECU (computer).
2) Stay with your original transmission; it WILL talk to the T100 ECU.
3) Leave your battery tray in the original position (most of the blogs say to move it to the other side, but there is plenty of room on the passenger side if you use a K&N air filter; and you won't have to rewire or move the fuse box--it's just a lot less work!
4) You will have to modify the alternator bracket (not a big deal) and get a shorter belt.
5) Use the AC compressor from the T100 and swap out the top plate, that way you won't have to change any hoses or connections.
6) Route your exhaust to the original location by cutting and modifying the crossover on the T100.
7) If you can read a wiring diagram and have the time and patience you can modify your own harnesses. I sent my to "toyonly.com"
8) The hood will have to be modified. I decided to build my own scoop since I'll be waiting about 3 weeks to get the wiring harness back.

With all this said, I have not yet received the wiring harness to complete the job. So there is still the possibility of everything going south--But I feel pretty confident that the rest of this will go smoothly. As engine swaps go, this was very easy: when the engine drops right in with no mods to the mounts and it fits up to the transmission, then you're off to a good start.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Captainjack
Sunrader
If you need more power, and who doesn't, swapping the 3.4 is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. Here's what I've learned over the past month:
1) Get a T100 donor (2wd, automatic) and buy the entire vehicle--if you think you might EVER want a super charger, get a '97 or '98, so that you won't have problems with the ECU (computer).
2) Stay with your original transmission; it WILL talk to the T100 ECU.
3) Leave your battery tray in the original position (most of the blogs say to move it to the other side, but there is plenty of room on the passenger side if you use a K&N air filter; and you won't have to rewire or move the fuse box--it's just a lot less work!
Some people live in California and have to use the stock airbox to pass at the referee, but if not... this is a great option!
4) You will have to modify the alternator bracket (not a big deal) and get a shorter belt.
5) Use the AC compressor from the T100 and swap out the top plate, that way you won't have to change any hoses or connections.
6) Route your exhaust to the original location by cutting and modifying the crossover on the T100.
7) If you can read a wiring diagram and have the time and patience you can modify your own harnesses. I sent my to "toyonly.com"
8) The hood will have to be modified. I decided to build my own scoop since I'll be waiting about 3 weeks to get the wiring harness back.
They say 3 weeks... but be prepared to have it back in about 2! Thats how it went for mine... but I fear I may have to send it back, I think they missed something, because no voltage to speedo, water temp sensor/gauge, and tach.

With all this said, I have not yet received the wiring harness to complete the job. So there is still the possibility of everything going south--But I feel pretty confident that the rest of this will go smoothly. As engine swaps go, this was very easy: when the engine drops right in with no mods to the mounts and it fits up to the transmission, then you're off to a good start.
Looks like your project is headed north to me! You'll be camping before you know it!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 PM

3.0 Swap

Yep, I have a Toyota Motorhome as well. Thanks Captainjack for posting this. It gives us a bit of hope, I was told no such swap is possible, so I was looking for help with the 3.0. NOW i'm up to speed and a swap may be just what we need.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Staff

Its very possible for sure! In fact, its relatively easy in 3.0 equipped trucks. I would LOVE to have a motorhome with a 3.4 and a supercharger. Talk about styling!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 AM

capin.. any progress been a while i figured you would be campin again by now
Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Still waiting for the harness. It was completed last week; unfortunately, the toyonly guys and I didn't talk before it was sent otherwise I would have had it the next day! Now it is in the clutches of the US Post Office--Please Help Us! Maybe I'll get it this week. Toyonly guys: Please NEVER use the post office again! At any rate, I've made a few changes while waiting for the harness: I decided to move the battery to the driver side after all--mostly because it looks a lot better, not so crowded on the passenger side. I got the hood almost done sheetmetal-wise. I'll get it painted in the next couple of weeks. I made a battery tray from stainless steel--it looks pretty good. I also found a couple of radiator hoses that are "perfect" fits for using the stock 3.0 radiator with this swap. I'll post the part numbers next week along with some new pics. If the harness plugs in like I expect I should be on the road for the weekend. I've pretty much decided to buy a small boat (17'). I'll try pulling it with the stock 3.4 and if that doesn't do well, then I'll put the SC on this thing real soon.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM

glad to hear it i was gettin worried i thaught maybe the rv fell off the lift or your computer died or somthin els really terrible happened but im anxious to see how the hood and other custom mods went cant wait too see em. i doubt youll have much trouble pulin a 17'er round but a sc never hurt anyone & too bad about usps
Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM

I've added a few pics of the new battery tray and one of the hood scoop which I will finish today with more pics tomorrow. Still don't have the harness and the PO only updates their website whenever there's nothing else to do! According to their last update (9/17) the harness is in Tucson somewhere. Maybe I should offer to go pick it up! I should calm down. http://photobucket.com/motorhomeengineswap

Last edited by Captainjack; 09-20-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM

lookin good capin

Quick Reply: Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap