3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Which oil pan to use in your 3.4L swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm missing something here...please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 3.4 from a 96 4wd Tacoma sitting in my 89 IFS 4wd 4runner. I currently have the 3.4 baffle trimmed to fit the 3.0 pan and pickup tube. Couldn't a guy fill the pan with a quart shy of required oil and scribe on the dipstick as the low or fill point where the oil shows?....then add the last quart and scribe on the stick as full or high mark? As long as the oil registers on the stick and you make the required marks for full and a quart low....why would this method not work? Also, should I be running the 4.8 qts recommended for the 4runner or the 5.5 for the Tacoma? Thanks for input guys. I'm a body man and this is my first in depth mechanical project....been a loooong, learning process.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:53 AM

When i did my 3.4L swap i used the original 3.0L pan, pickup tube and baffle i believe.

Had to buy a different dipstick tube and dipstick, but i haven't had a problem in 50K+ miles.
Might have to swap pans though because i have a feeling this dana 60 will smash the pan on up travel.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is more confusing than ever!

ok i have a 93 4runner, MT 4X4. It looks like ill be swapping in a 3.4 soon. So do I just use the oil pan/ baffle and pickup from my 3.slow?

or does it all depend on what the donor engine is from? What should the donor be?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:45 PM

Most 3.4L engines are equipped with an oil pan that is not compatible w/ most recipient vehicles. If the 3.4L donor application is a Tacoma, 4Runner, or Tundra, a different pan is needed to fit the suspension and steering in older Toyotas and other recipient vehicles. The oil sump on the above applications is in the front of the engine, where the steering and differential will interfere. The proper oil pan parts are from a 5VZ-FE T100 application. 4×4 T100 oil pan parts work w/ Truck/4Runner 4×4 IFS suspension applications, while 4×2 T100 oil pan parts work w/ Truck/4Runner 2WD and ‘solid axle’ (SAS) applications. Other oil pan-related parts, such as the oil sump and dipstick parts, are also required when converting the oil pan. The oil pan found on the 3.0L 3VZ-E engine can be used on the 3.4L 5VZ-FE during this conversion. However, the remaining oil pan conversion parts are still needed from a 5VZ-FE T100 application.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaay
This thread is more confusing than ever!

ok i have a 93 4runner, MT 4X4. It looks like ill be swapping in a 3.4 soon. So do I just use the oil pan/ baffle and pickup from my 3.slow?

or does it all depend on what the donor engine is from? What should the donor be?
You will use the oil pan from your current 3.0 motor. You will use the baffle from the 3.4 motor. Pickup tube can go two ways; 1. Reuse your current pickup tube, which requires modifying the baffle a bit (drill a hole in the center and trim the edge down a bit). 2. Buy the pickup tube from a 95-98 T100 3.4, which will eliminate the need to modify the 3.4 baffle.

Take the 3.0 baffle and 3.4 oil pan and wing them out into the scrap pile.

Does that clear it up?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 PM

Thanks for clearing this question up. Trying to round up all the parts I'll need to do this swap here in about a month and you just saved me $130 plus shipping from ORS for the pickup tube they claim you need.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Just FWI, I used the regular IFS 3.0 pan in my runner.

-dana 60 front
-Ruf pack
-High steer
-perches drilled to move the axle forward 2" extra

Everything fit and flexed great. No binding. lots of clearance
No need for a fancy 2wd oil pan. Not even close
Old 07-26-2015, 06:57 PM

Where did you get your dipstick and dipstick tube?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 93toyoguy
I'm still working on getting the motor in the truck, but I pulled the block plug from the 3.4 & popped in the dipstick guide bushing I guess you'd call it, then modified the bracket from my 3.0 dipstick to mount on the 3.4. I also machined a plug for the hole that's left in the oil pump housing.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by 93toyoguy
Get them from Toyota, you'll want one from a T100 for proper length and so you can properly check your oil level.

While I appreciate the guys who DIY, there isn't any real way to verify the oil level you're checking is accurate when you start interchanging parts.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Get them from Toyota, you'll want one from a T100 for proper length and so you can properly check your oil level.

While I appreciate the guys who DIY, there isn't any real way to verify the oil level you're checking is accurate when you start interchanging parts.
So I have the 3.0 oil pan do I still want the t100 dipstick? Even for the hole I drilled for the dipstick?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:30 PM

I'm using my IFS oil pan as well, with a modified baffle from the 3.4 and the pickup from the 3.0. I was lucky I guess that my 3.4 block had the hole already there & I took the plug out, used the plug that was in the 3.0, and the dipstick is pretty darn close to where it needs to be.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:01 PM

I bought a 91 pickup that already had a working 3.4 swap installed, and i noticed right away that the dipstick doesn't seat all the way in the tube, but it seats far enough that the o-ring seals the tube.

I don't even know if it's from a toyota or wtf. I picked up a factory 3.4 dipstick, and surprise! it doesn't fit, and the o-ring does not seal the tube. How do I figure out what oil pan I have, and what I need to do to get a dipstick/tube combo that will allow me to actually confirm that i have the correct amount of oil in the engine? if anything I would guess that the current dipstick would put me a little bit over full, but hopefully less than a quart, but that's the sort of thing it seems like you had damn well better be sure about.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
I don't think I ever answered this question.

The T100 Pickup tube you use is from a 4WD, when bolting the 3.4 into a 4WD application. They are not different sumps, since the 95+ T100 3.4 and 88-95 3.0 use the exact same pan. The difference is in the Pickup tube, and the baffle.

I have also done many more of these swaps, and found it is much easier to cut a hole in the 3.4 baffle and use the 3.0 4WD pickup tube, instead of paying the $75 for the T100 pickup tube which is routed around the baffle instead of through it.

Doesn't that mean if I got a 3.4 out a T100 that I could throw it in my 93 pickup (SAS) without modifying the oil pickup, pan, ect?
Old 01-18-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once the dipstick is relocated and the new oil pan etc installed, what's the best solution for sealing the original hole in the front from the previous dipstick guide?

Please dont say "JB Weld"....
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alabamatoy
Once the dipstick is relocated and the new oil pan etc installed, what's the best solution for sealing the original hole in the front from the previous dipstick guide?

Please dont say "JB Weld"....
Drill and tap, then install a bolt with RTV:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post50681839
Old 04-07-2016, 08:52 AM

This is one of those threads that needs the first post to have all the info in it becuase the more you read the worse it gets. Now on to my question. I have used the 3.0 pan/oil pickup out of my 92 4runner 4wd and the baffle out of the 3.4. Can I use the dipstick and dipstick tube out of the 92 4runner as well? It seems logical that I should since its the same pan. If not can someone explain why I would need a different one.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by sphealy
This is one of those threads that needs the first post to have all the info in it becuase the more you read the worse it gets. Now on to my question. I have used the 3.0 pan/oil pickup out of my 92 4runner 4wd and the baffle out of the 3.4. Can I use the dipstick and dipstick tube out of the 92 4runner as well? It seems logical that I should since its the same pan. If not can someone explain why I would need a different one.

Thanks
The 3.0 dipstick has no way to mount to the head without making a custom bracket. And that's assuming the bottom of the dipstick tube is the same diameter, which I cannot confirm. The reason the 3.0 oil pan works is that pan was used on the T100, which has the same front diff as the early trucks, but has a 3.4 in it.

Basically the fact the t100 was ever built it what makes swapping the 3.4 such a simple task.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 AM

Good answer, thanks for quick reply. Guess I need to order the T100 parts then.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude...the 3.0 tube and stick work fine. No "special" bracketry, nada. It reads damn near the same. Put in 4.5 qts. and run the engine to fill the filter. Pull the stick after the oil settles and check the level. There's your "quart low" and scribe a line if need be. Put in the last quart....repeat. You have a reference.
Bend the tab of your tube a little. Notch it out the side and mount it on an exhaust manifold stud. Cut a hole through the heat shield and route it through the hole and through the engine mount pedestal and shove it in the dipstick tube bushing.
Looks factory and works fine. It's a lot easier than many folks made it out to be here.
Good luck.
These are the images of the rough cut holes before I finished them. You'll get the idea

Quick Reply: Which oil pan to use in your 3.4L swap