3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

No Start-NOT THE STARTER OR BATTERY!!

Old 11-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Start-NOT THE STARTER OR BATTERY!!

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted here. The 3.4 is still strong, no real issues other than this one. Quite a while back, I started having issues starting the truck, I wasn't too worried as it's not a daily driver. I could here a click, and the sound of it spinning. I has a new battery, so I know that wasn't a problem. Funds are always tight, so I just put it off. I could bang on the starter to the point it would engage and start, or just let it roll-jump (stick shift). Eventually, it got to the point that it wouldn't start after banging on it, so I rebuilt it. Then I took it to a shop to have it re-rebuilt because it didn't fix the issue. The shop is highly rated, and very knowledgeable, I've work done there before for other projects. Re-install the starter and the condition persists.

Now, over the past 2 months, I started a side project with replacing the broken fuse box under the hood (box hasn't been mounted to anything in the 8 years I've owned the truck). Before starting this, I disconnected the battery, and noticed some corrosion on the cables.

Could there have been enough corrosion to allow the starter to kick, but not start? If that was the problem, why did beating on the starter seem to work for a while? If it were a loose connection, wouldn't that have been resolved by the reinstall?

I have new 1 ga. cable with shrink wrapped terminals to go in as soon as I find time, but I'm still concerned that it won't fix the problem. Any advice, pointers, or thoughts?

Oh, FYI, I'm running the 3.0 starter, flywheel, and R151 trans. on this swap. 3.0 fuse box under the hood too.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I would think it is possible to have had two issues simultaneously, you might have fixed the classic starter issue with the rebuild the but corrosion was still there. See what happens with the new cable. If that doesnt fix it, sounds like its time to start checking connections and see what isnt getting power when it should. I would try to work backwards from the starter.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silly question but did you remember to attach the smaller cable to the starter? The one that gets clipped on behind the power cable.

Search this Thread