3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Federal and Cali ECU Identification

Old 08-16-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Federal and Cali ECU Identification

Hey guys, I need a little help. I'm not in a rush or anything though.

So here in Wyoming, there's literally no smog, which saved me a little money on my 3.4 swap. I went with the, "buy a rebuilt motor and gather parts from various sources", route.

The rebuilt motor is supposedly from a 1998 T100 and I bought the rest of the parts finishing it as a 98 t100 FED spec motor (no EGR or two CATS). The ECU is also from a 1998 T100 M/T

The thing is, I have no idea how to identify this ECU as a CA spec or Fed Spec. since I just bought it off ebay. It was cheap and it worked, nothing else mattered.

The reason I'm asking, is because I want to move back to my hometown in CA, but I'm dreading what the smog refs would do to me if I tried to keep my truck. I've read that a federal spec vehicle, registered outside of CA will be smogged as a federal spec in CA. But since I swapped motors, it's kind of up in the air. I bought the truck in South Dakota.

Anyways, I'd rather not have my two years here be for naught, and at least give it a try if I do move back. So is there anybody on here know how to identify between a CA spec ECU and a Fed Spec ECU?

I've even tried my OBD-2 reader (My phone w/ bluetooth scanner) with no luck and toyodiy.com wasn't much help.

Attachment 119129

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 01-08-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:39 PM

First off, with a little Googling, that's an ECU from a '98 4Runner, not a T100.

Here's a list of the ECU part numbers for a '98 4Runner with a M/T:
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_199...MGKA_8404.html
You'll notice that only 89661-3D590 has "California Spec" in the description, which leads me to believe that your ECU is a Federal spec.

Now, as for bringing your truck into CA and getting it SMOGed, you will need to ensure that it is set up and equipped as if it were a '98 4Runner with all the stock intake, vacuum lines, EVAP system, and exhaust (O2 sensors and cat(s)). If you have an aftermarket intake, you'll need the SMOG sticker from the manufacturer that shows the EO (executive order) number, and that number must match up to a '98 4Runner 3.4. The catalytic converter(s) must also have an EO number stamped into them (from the manufacturer) that matches up with a '98 4Runner 3.4. They're OK with the exhaust being routed down the driver's side just as long as the O2s and cat(s) are in same relative position as they were when a '98 4Runner rolled off the factory floor.

As far as bringing a Fed ECU into CA, I have no idea. I seem to remember the ref telling me that if a CA spec ECU was available that I would have to use it over the Fed spec, but that was with me, a current CA resident performing the engine change (not swap...by the CARB definition "swap" means exchanging the motor with the same type of motor, while "change" means installing a motor that wasn't a factory option), and I have no idea what sorts of challenges you would have bringing a completed swap into the state.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:54 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write bud. I didn't know about the exhaust stuff. Good to know about the ECU, thanks for that.

I've been back and forth thinking about if it would be better to sell the truck. I don't know what I'm gonna do yet.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:47 AM

Just so that people know, I was told by a California Ref that if the vehicle is Fed spec then the ECU can be Fed or Cali. If the vehicle is Cali spec then the ECU has to be Cali spec also. You should be able to tell if your vehicle is Fed or Cali spec either by the emissions sticker under the hood or the vin label in the door jamb. If either of them reference Cali then it is more than likely Cali spec else it's just Fed spec.