3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

98 3.4 into 84 22R

Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 98 3.4 into 84 22R

That title bar should say "98 3.4 into 84 22R" but I dunno how to fix it... but it looks like someone fixed it; thanks!!

Hey folks, some may know me from the other Toyota boards; my main build thread is on Marlin: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62610.0 and I recently picked up a 3.4 to replace the dead 22R in my 84. I have been researching a TON, making lists like crazy and just trying to get a plan of attack. I'm still looking for the "How To Make an Auto ECU Work in a Manual Trans Truck" write-up... no dice yet and I'm not sure what year my engine is.

What I DO know:
I need a MAF, intake piping (gonna do cold air), fuel pump, fuel lines, hole in hood, heater lines, and a HD radiator.

Can anyone send some highlights for this swap? I have my lists, web pages saved, files saved to desktop and all that but there is always something I miss.

What am I missing?
>>Dan

Last edited by wakkjobb; 02-19-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 PM

I've got a 3.0 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate if you want it. Don't they work?

Just tried cranking mine over tonight! Hopefully running by tomorrow, need some new plugs though.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 PM

you need the 3.4 evap system and vsv's
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Why don't you list what you have. And we can fill in the rest.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Sorry, I completely forgot the details:

My POS: 84 reg cab manual trans single stock t-case

Donor: 98/99 (??) 3.4, was auto trans, has uncut engine wiring.

Stamp pad on driver's side:

Future dipstick tube location?

When it came home:

Crap in coolant outlet:

Questionable-looking oil:

I opened the oil filter, no metal/bearing material inside; just looks super-old. The water pump has signs of leaking and the rear main is leaky too. I was told it was running when pulled but "got hot quick" and wasn't run into the over-temp range. For the trans I'm looking at a 96 R150 locally for cheap and a gear-drive case adaptor. I have given up on trying to get this done before the end of summer, so it'll be a season-long project. Sucks not to be wheeling, but it's for the best.

>>Dan
Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm still looking for the "How To Make an Auto ECU Work in a Manual Trans Truck" write-up... no dice yet and I'm not sure what year my engine is.

Some guys have jumped the neutral safety circuit to achieve what you are looking for with great success. For me, I opted to change the ECM to a manual flavor and do it properly, at least to me. ECM's are cheap ($50-$100) and then its just a matter of grabbing manual plugs and swapping your auto harness pins into the manual plugs, all in the correct spots of course.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 PM

that is some crappy lookin oil man. I would definitely look at one of the rod bearings to make sure they are fine. I can't believe that isn't water mixed with the oil. And why so rusty in the thermostat housing? A new water pump will take care of most of that, but still. Honestly I hope you got that motor for a good deal...
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Some guys have jumped the neutral safety circuit to achieve what you are looking for with great success. For me, I opted to change the ECM to a manual flavor and do it properly, at least to me. ECM's are cheap ($50-$100) and then its just a matter of grabbing manual plugs and swapping your auto harness pins into the manual plugs, all in the correct spots of course.
Yeah, that last part is above my confidence level; I can do some wiring but I'll just jump whatever I have to. I've got to figure out what year and my friend can print out full wiring diagrams at his work quick-n-easy; yay.

that is some crappy lookin oil man. I would definitely look at one of the rod bearings to make sure they are fine. I can't believe that isn't water mixed with the oil. And why so rusty in the thermostat housing? A new water pump will take care of most of that, but still. Honestly I hope you got that motor for a good deal...
Yeah, I'm not super happy with the nasty oil but for FREE I'm not complaining. I should have it on a stand next week and at least open up the oil pan. It's on hold while another project is in the way too.

>>Dan
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since it was free and you do not seem to be in a rush, I might tear that baby apart and rebuild it. Do not know your budget though.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM

ya since you probably have to switch the oil pan out. I still think you should look at a few bearings to see what kind of shape they are in. But ya free is a good price!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Dan. Glad to see you made it over here.... Now we can PM each other on 3 boards? Oh wait you were on ObservedTrials.Net too, right? 4 boards? Lol..

I wanted to come by and check out the new engine the weekend you got it since I was in the Springs too. But we didn't end up having the time... Sorry. I'll come by soon. Have you stripped this thing down yet, or have you been too busy with that rotting 4runner?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Wow, OTN... haven't been there in a dog's age! Yep, I am a forum whore, plain and simple. I'm on pirate too but am too afraid to post anything ever. I think I've been on there since 2004 or 2005 and don't have more than 50 posts still. Those pirates are mean... hahaha

The engine is still complete, waiting for an engine stand to find its way out of my friend's garage this week (I hope). I was hacking on the 4Runner, yes. It's not a total lost cause but it sure hurts to be that stock! After that puppy is gone I'm not going to do any more projects like that... going to concentrate on the Mustang and rebuild the 3.4 for next season. I'm thinking "supercharger".

Forgot to say I have hi-steer and have moved the axle forward about 2" and the sering box is stuffed in the radiator support. This was done when I had plans for a 22R/RE/hybrid. There's also a 2" home-brew body lift; I was going to toss it but it looks like most people have BLs to clear the intake... maybe it'll stay; unless I can source a diesel hood scoop from overseas.

I took a few pics of the ECU-end wiring today in hopes of finding out what year this puppy is; here's hoping something turns up.

>>Dan

At least it's not hacked.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 PM

The other day it dawned on me to get an auto trans for this build since the wiring/ECU was from an auto vehicle. Duh. I was later informed T100 trans run right-side drop t-cases so that would save $ if I used the stock chain drive t-case. Sounds good to me... anyhow I'm still trying to line up an engine stand for this puppy and figure out what year it is. From what I've read, there is a difference between the 4Runner/truck wiring from year to year between 97-01 or thereabouts. Awesome... ugh.
I may start actually working on this thing in late summer; I have to get other crap done first to have floor space for the rebuild... then IT'S ON!

>>Dan

edit: I checked the part number from the top pic and got this: http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...21213D401.html

so this 3.4 was from a 97-99 4Runner with any trans/trim level. Does that sound right?

Last edited by wakkjobb; 05-13-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 AM

...5 months later...

Today a 95 5-speed trans popped up on craigslist for $60 so I'm going to check it out; cheaper than buying one from a junkyard. My current concern is the crank: it looks like the crank doesn't have a spot for a pilot bearing... would Toyota do such a thing? I mean, make the cranks auto or manual trans specific? Of course I didn't take a pic but I'll get one today.

Last week I picked up a few more parts for the 3.4; throttle body, second intake, mounts, oil pan... still a long way from running yet. Aince I'm keeping the 84 I have to hunt down another set of fenders/doors/hood/seats since someone jumped the gun at parting it out. Duh... me.

>>Dan
Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM

you have to move the motor mounts forward on the frame, which causes the trani mount to cross member to have a gap because the trani has to be moved forward also on the 22r....
Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 PM

What?

That $60 trans was froma 4cyl so forget about that.

Today I did manage to get a trans/case for $100 from a 98 Taco... oughta bolt right up, eh?

I know it will, I'm just messing around. Next on the list is to ditch the chain drive lefty t-case, stuff the trans behind the engine and see what lines up where. I figure I'll have to make engine mounts... no big deal; I have LOTS of JB Weld.

>>Dan

I have the shifters; they were removed 'cause it wouldn't fit in my Civic... at first.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM

As I was driving home tonight a thought came to me:

Do I need NEED need to have an OBD2 port for my swap? I haven't seen anything specific posted about this; maybe 'cause a lot of you have swapped 3.0 to 3.4 in OBD1 and 2 vehicles. Cheaters!

My 84 kinda doesn't have any OBD except my eyes and ears.

>>Dan
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wakkjobb
As I was driving home tonight a thought came to me:

Do I need NEED need to have an OBD2 port for my swap? I haven't seen anything specific posted about this; maybe 'cause a lot of you have swapped 3.0 to 3.4 in OBD1 and 2 vehicles. Cheaters!

My 84 kinda doesn't have any OBD except my eyes and ears.

>>Dan
You don't have to have one but if you want to scan for trouble codes you need one.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 AM

Well, not much has happened (obviously) but I have been gathering more and more parts to get this thing going:

fenders
hood
doors
grille/markers
shift boot
wiring diagrams
York compressor (big ol' two-piston mammajamma)
bigger OBA tank, 10 gallon?
Ford rear tank w/sender/pump/wiring
Ford shock towers "in case"
Nissan Altima fans (free)
'87 F250 radiator (if needed behind cab)
misc 3.4 parts:
coil packs (thanks QuickDraw!)
MAF "
more engine mounts "
clutch fan "
intake (thanks Ryan!)
oil pan "
throttle body "
random lights
and just ordered a magical 2WD T100 oil pan from partshotlines.com; after searching on car-part.com forever and having never heard back from any salvage yard, it was time to find another route. It's coming from a place in MO and cost me $49.22 with shipping. The local yards are cheaper but 2wd trucks aren't common here in Colorado... go figure. Last time I saw one, it was in Pueblo and they wanted about $40 IIRC. I'm pretty thrifty, so driving an hour for a $40 oil pan was not ideal.

Also did a top-shift conversion a few weeks back; looks pretty cool. I followed directions from a few PBB threads; they were similar but one had better pictures... and y'know I love pics!

Onward! My newest plan is:
do engine PM while it's out of the truck (easier/I'm lazy)
-t-belt
-thermostat
-any/all gaskets
-etc...
firmly mount engine in truck w/new clutch
plumb fuel lines
do exhaust x-over flip/mod/whatzit
add R150
get R150 to R1FA adpt (probably go with Advance; cheaper and in-stock)
stab on 1st case
fart out $$ for dual adpt (from who, dunno yet... whoever has one in stock)
stick on dual case
measure for drivelines

and that's about it... there's still everything else but getting the heart transplant done is my goal for the end of April. After that, it's all gravy.

>>Dan
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Welllllll.... that project died a while back. However, I have a new project along the same lines; but going into an 85 4Runner.

This time I picked up a wrecked (frame hit) 98 Tacoma for a donor truck. Everything's there; no searching for anything. I still have the 2wd T100 oil pan too.

I'm aiming to have THIS swap done by the end of March 2015.

Some pics for the hell of it:

Last project's final ride:

New project:
Name:  IMAG1192_zps90d8b31d.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  63.7 KB

Wheeling instead of working:
Name:  rampark120152_zpsd47d68c6.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  38.0 KB

Wheeler Lake in October '14:
Name:  Wheeler1012201426_zpsca01e785.jpg