3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap in the style of Breknraj

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.4 swap in the style of Breknraj

Started on my way to this swap when I noticed I had a blown head gasket on #1 cyl on my 3.0. Found an engine, in the taco still, for $1,000 with all sensors and he actually even requested I take the 5spd attached to it because he didn't want a bunch of crap laying around that he'll never use. Anyone want a 5spd from a 2000 Tacoma?

107,000 miles on it, no leaks, heard it run, I'm stoked.
Notice the snow...
Now I await my ORS kit and $ to buy a Marlin clutch and headers!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal on the engine! Did it come with the ECU, as well?

As to doing it in my style (a debatable topic in itself!), are you referring to no garage, in the winter,with snow? If that is the case (judging by your pics), Then the First Up canopy and walls for it are pretty reasonable at Wally World. That, plus a cylinder top propane infra-red heater made the project a LOT easier to tolerate! Just don't let snow accumulate on the canopy!

Good luck, and post lots of pics!

BTW - get in touch with Mike at ORS like YESTERDAY! He's closing shop at the end of the week, and I have no idea if he's taking orders for stuff not already on the shelves anymore.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:09 AM

Yeah, already ordered the kit, but thanks... I do still need to send in some connections he needed for the harness. I think only the start of the project will be in your style, the snow doesn't usually stick around very long at a whopping 500 ft elev. Good tip on the snow accumulation anyhow, I saw read what happened to yours.

Yeah, got the ecu, harness, he even let me cut the exhaust behind the second O2 sensor and take the cat, too. Since it was working well and not throwing codes on the Taco, I'll reuse!
So far it looks like I'll be out $3,000 or so for the swap, then less the sale of the tranny and I think I'll fix the head gasket on the 3.0 and sell it, too. Will do on the pics, last time I had the 3.0 apart to rebuild the top end I said I was gonna take lots of pics, then ended up taking 4. Gotta do better'n that!
Thanks for the encouragement, btw.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 AM

Congrats man. That is a good deal. Let hope the snow does stick in Lone Pine bit that it keeps coming because I wanna see how deep I can get my yota
Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 PM

Actually, I don't have a clue how much snow is down in Lone Pine...that's where my Forest Service fire job is. I'm laid off for the winter, so I'm in Portland, OR now. It would be kinda fun to drive in the snow there, I bet it wouldn't be as wet and slushy as the snow here with only 1 mt range between us and the coast.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Made about all the progress I can til I receive the ORS kit or money for the clutch and headers.
As it sits now:

Engine/Tranny separated, exhaust manifolds and crossover removed, ready for the 3.0 motor mounts, and wrapped against the snow and people who think they deserve it more than me.
The worst news so far is that the kid who owned the Taco never changed the clutch...so there's blueing and a couple cracks on the flywheel. Whatever, another $100 to Marlin.
Anybody have any ideas what a good 5spd and transfer case should go for?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Hey where in portland are you? I'm gettin ready to do the 3.4 swap and live in Gresham...

Keep the pics comin, cant wait to see it done.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Beaverton/Aloha. When are you gonna start it? I notice you have a 22re, so I can't be of much help on a few things, but I will try to keep up on the pictures.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Oh gotcha.

Well actually I just got a '92 with a 3VZ/A340 in it-thats the one I'm doing the swap in, so it should be identical.

I already have the R150F with the MC gear drive TC adapter to go behind the 5VZ, just no 5VZ yet. Also I got the pedal assembly swapped in and the clutch master installed.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Flywheel resurfaced courtesy of my favorite machine shop. These guys are great, I walk in with the flywheel and they say "Toyota?"
Also, ordered the Marlin 3.4 clutch, anyone have experience with this in their swaps? Haven't heard anything bad about any Marlin products yet, just thought I'd ask. More progress when I receive the ORS kit. Til then, thanks for the encouragement folks!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Probably one of the last kits they'll send out! At least until they offer their products through their next venue.

As I'm posting this and ignoring my girlfriend she's calling me a nerd and saying she created a monster by financing my Toy in the first place.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:14 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Hey good luck on the swap. I'm starting my own on a 92 3.0 5spd. However i'm not going the route of ors. They were a bit pricy for me. So i'm going to do everything myself.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Thanks vital, I'll need a lil bit of luck here an there. Good luck yourself!
Engine out

Motor mount installed to engine

Motor mount and new dipstick installed

Engine bay cleaned up(forgot my camera today so the pic was from the other day, not cleaned up)

Realized about a week ago that I didn't receive the new clutch hose bracket I was s'posed to from ORS. Anybody else who's done the swap with Downey headers and a 5spd, what'd you do to secure the clutch lines away from engine/header?
Can't seem to get ahold of Mike at ORS, not sure if I should either, seeing as how he's out of business now.
Anyhow, got the 3.4 within an inch or so of bolted in to the tranny an motor mounts, gave up since it was getting dark, try again tomorrow, with my camera!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Jonny, I have the Downey headers and 3.4 swap and honestly cant recall having to modify my clutch lines at all. However I just used the headers and had a custom exhaust installed. You got any pics of the problems?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM

Well, best as I can tell by looking at Breknraj's swap, there isn't one. It sure looks like he used the stock clutch hose bracket.
https://www.yotatech.com/1031017-post91.html
The pic on the left, towards the left side of the exhaust manifold, you can see a bracket that holds the clutch line. It looks like it lines up with the heads on the 3.4.
I didn't have my camera today, so I can't show you my setup. Aside from the fact that I don't have the headers yet. I haven't had to mess with my clutch hydraulics yet, my hose looks good so I don't think I will, if I can help it.
I thought this was the reason ORS asked if using headers or stock manifolds, since it lists a clutch bracket in the standard kit I got.
I'll post a pic tomorrow, whether the stock works or not.
Thanks Thomas!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Are you talking about the braided line in the middle of this picture.
I do remember having to modify it. Downey provided the hardware it should be provided in the kit.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 PM

That's the hose I was talking about.
Thanks, that helps a lot!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
i'm about to do the swap, can i reuse my dipstick tube and dipstick from my 3.0? the donor is a 97 4runner 4x4 5spd. mine is a 92 3.0 4x4 5spd.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Some people have, and the differences I saw between the new one from ORS I received(a T100 dipstick and tube) and the one that is on the 3.0 were very minor. Like, the bracket towards the top only had 1 bolt hole instead of 2 on the T100 tube. That kind of minor.

The dipstick location I had to drill through you should only have a plug to knock out, since you have a '97 engine. Use the adapter from the 3.0 block along with the tube and stick in the same spot as on the 3.0, just behind the oil filter.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:18 PM

nevermind...my internet was being screwy.

Quick Reply: 3.4 swap in the style of Breknraj