3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 Swap 101

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the info.... For a second i was going to give up my swap lol but i saw this thread and it answered all my questions. Thanks again!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:51 PM

this is awesome, very very usefull. Many people give up on manual tranny swaps or they get shut down by other members telling them its to much work and discouraging. After reading this, there should be no excuse ! great info sir!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 AM

I have a 95 4runner with a 3.0 and auto trans, will a 3.4 motor match up with my trans?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn4runner
I have a 95 4runner with a 3.0 and auto trans, will a 3.4 motor match up with my trans?
Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by mtn4runner
It appears you have lots of reading to do before asking questions. This is covered in many of the stickies on the 3.4 swaps.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:02 AM

Wow

Great info, awesome explainations!
This is a must visit for any swappers!

Thanks for taking the time and sharing!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:35 AM

Any chance of getting the pics back up?
Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM

wish i could find pics

i realize this is a super old thread but im just finishing up this swap and these are the things id love to see pics of ,seems every where i look the pics are now gone .anyone point me in the direction ofswap thread with pics of engine bay.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry guys. Comcast dropped web hosting as a service apparently and all my pics on every thread I have was on it. Therefore all the pics are gone.

I may be able to one day link them again but I dont know when that will be

What a pain in the butt.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 AM

Well thanks for the heads up but that really blows... I found the repin portion of your write up on another site. Pics r there!!!
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/180875-repinning-auto-harness-use-manual-ecm.html
Old 12-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Here's a recapture of that page in May:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150527...p-101-a-239002

Anyone that needs them can now copy the pics and store them. I use imgur now (a free image server), after I had a build thread get most of the links to pictures broken in a similar incident.

Last edited by Cadin; 12-16-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:48 PM

I've been out of the Yota game (sold my crawler years ago) and I know this thread is really old but I need some help. Just bought my son an 89 Toyota pickup and it has the 3.4 swap done on it. Unfortunately, I have NO idea if it was done right or not.

The owner obviously had it started up and warmed up before we got to his house because it fired right up. Today, when I went out to start it after it sat all night, it took FOREVER to start it. I called him and he told me to look under the dash where he installed some type of a fuel switch. I flipped that switch and it eventually started. I was not aware of this when I bought it. He claims he didn't do the swap and that it was like that when he bought it. he also claims this was a 3.0 to 3.4 swap but I don't think that's right because the grill doesn't have the V-6 emblem on it but I don't know if it's a stock grill or if the 89 had the v-6 emblem or not. I'm feeling like this was probably a 22RE truck but not sure how to confirm this.

In looking at 3.4 swap pics on line, the one obvious thing that I do not see is the Evap Box. Not sure how much that the Evap Box is required but I imagine if I'm seeing in EVERY single picture of a 3.4 swap that it should probably be in the truck.

Would the lack of the Evap box cause these long, delayed starts?

What else will the missing Evap box cause the truck to do?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM

You need to start a new thread rather than replying to this one. Then you'll get the help you seek.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Good call, my bad. New thread started.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by FatA$$ Toyota
I've been out of the Yota game (sold my crawler years ago) and I know this thread is really old but I need some help. Just bought my son an 89 Toyota pickup and it has the 3.4 swap done on it. Unfortunately, I have NO idea if it was done right or not.

The owner obviously had it started up and warmed up before we got to his house because it fired right up. Today, when I went out to start it after it sat all night, it took FOREVER to start it. I called him and he told me to look under the dash where he installed some type of a fuel switch. I flipped that switch and it eventually started. I was not aware of this when I bought it. He claims he didn't do the swap and that it was like that when he bought it. he also claims this was a 3.0 to 3.4 swap but I don't think that's right because the grill doesn't have the V-6 emblem on it but I don't know if it's a stock grill or if the 89 had the v-6 emblem or not. I'm feeling like this was probably a 22RE truck but not sure how to confirm this.

In looking at 3.4 swap pics on line, the one obvious thing that I do not see is the Evap Box. Not sure how much that the Evap Box is required but I imagine if I'm seeing in EVERY single picture of a 3.4 swap that it should probably be in the truck.

Would the lack of the Evap box cause these long, delayed starts?

What else will the missing Evap box cause the truck to do?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!
Look to see if the charcole canister is hooked up to some of the evap switches and hoses. If so no evap box needed. Look at this thread there's a diagram of the evap system using stock canister... irab88 adds another liter: 22R-EC to 5VZ-FE

Last edited by Chevota5.0; 03-20-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by FatA$$ Toyota
Good call, my bad. New thread started.
Could you link the new thread? I couldn't find it.

Here's my $0.02 on your situation;

I have a 3.4 swap that came with no evap box, and I am currently collecting the parts. Really the evap box assembly is pretty complete, but I don't think it should start the cold starts you are seeing unless they used a oil pressure gauge to be an emergency shut-off for the fuel pump (E.g. GM fuel pump set-up).

In my rig, (I have been correcting another fellows install), my fuel pump is connected to switched key input; (I need to hook up a shut-off). But, I have no hesitation upon start-up. However, since the EVAP is not installed, I get a gigantaur "WOOOSH!!!", when I fuel up on a low tank.

One of my biggest problems was clearing the engine codes once I had hooked up the W wire from the ECU to the check engine light. The previous owner had not installed it in his "clean" install...

As far as the 22re thing you could run the VIN, is this a manual or auto rig?

(P.S. Be sure to include a link to your new thread!)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:34 AM

I'll be repining my harness sometime this week. However mine is only for manual swap. Currently I have the check engine light on because the auto ecu is tricked. I have a 97 4runner.

Quick question, I don't have the clutch pedal wired in or the clutch cancel start button. Will the truck still start if property repined ?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by kolelt
I'll be repining my harness sometime this week. However mine is only for manual swap. Currently I have the check engine light on because the auto ecu is tricked. I have a 97 4runner.

Quick question, I don't have the clutch pedal wired in or the clutch cancel start button. Will the truck still start if property repined ?
Please start a new thread rather than replying to an off topic thread. You'll get more help :-)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Please start a new thread rather than replying to an off topic thread. You'll get more help :-)
Sorry. I just figured since I have a 97 and I am repining the harness, I figured it belong in this thread.

Quick Reply: 3.4 Swap 101