3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma A/T vs M/T ECU pinouts

Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma A/T vs M/T ECU pinouts

I've received a lot of help from folks over the years, and this is my way of giving something back.

I'm converting my 2002 DC PreRunner from A/T to M/T and 2wd to 4wd. The mechanical part of these conversions has been pretty well documented, but the ECU connections for converting A/T to M/T aren't. As I read up on that conversion I became frustrated that I couldn't find a clear comparison of the A/T vs. M/T ECU pinouts. The FSM isn't a lot of help in this regard: the data is there -- each connection is identified by connector and pin -- but as anyone who has read the FSM wiring guide knows, it isn't organized by ECU connector + pin. Instead, the data is jumbled together, with the ECU wiring organized by the connections that were easiest to draw next to each other, not by wires that shared common ECU connectors. Great if you only care about a single pin, but not helpful if you want to see everything at a glance.

What I really wanted was a table that went through the ECU connections pin-by-pin, and for my model year compared the same pin in the A/T ECU with its counterpart in the M/T ECU. This way, I could see at a glance which pins I'd need to move, and which pins I could ignore.

I decided that since this table didn't already exist I'd make my own. I push data around for a living, so the task was part database design, part data entry. It took me a couple of hours to build the structure, enter the data, and format the output for the 2002 5VZ-FE A/T and M/T pinouts. Once I finished the table for my own conversion, I realized that I had a pretty decent template, and that I could extend the solution to include all the early Tacoma ECUs if I a) had the data, and b) was willing to take the time to enter it.

I started a thread on TTORA asking for wiring diagrams, and thanks to a few very helpful posters there I soon had all the 3RZ and 5VZ ECU and ECT wiring diagrams for 1995.5 - 2004 model year Tacoma 4x4s and PreRunners. So I had the data.

Over the course of a few weeks I entered this data and crunched it, this is the result:

Current version:

Early Tacoma A/T vs M/T ECU Pinout Comparisons, v2
2.7MB, 140 pages. Free.

Enjoy

Jeff

PS: All the normal caveats about getting what you pay for apply here: it's free, use it at your own risk, etc. If you find mistakes, please send me the error and the correction via PM. Since all the data was entered by hand, it's very possible I fat-fingered something. Also, I am not (and do not claim to be) an expert on ECU conversions, and I don't want to troubleshoot yours. I'm just a guy who wanted to see his data a certain way, and was willing to share his work when he was done.

PPS: I've also cross-posted this to TTORA, CustomTacos, and Pirate because I think it's pretty useful data, and hey, it's free and I'm not trying to sell anything. It's not my intent to spam YotaTech, so if a mod feels I've stepped on toes with this post please feel free to delete it or move it.

PPPS (2/25/2011): Tacoma and 4Runner ECU connections are often different! Some of you know this all too well, but in case you didn't I think it needs to be stated clearly. My initial document was focused on Tacomas. If you have a 4Runner (or if your donor ECU came from a 4Runner), do not assume that the ECU wiring for the same year Tacoma is going to be the same. The pins might have the same function but the wires may be different colors. Sometimes one or two pins will be in different places in the harness, too. It would be cool at some point in the future, when I have a lot of free time, to produce a companion document for 4Runners. I don't think I have the time to do that now, but for the sake of completeness it would be nice to circle back and do the 4Runner version of this document, too.

Previous versions:

Early Tacoma A/T vs M/T ECU Pinout Comparisons

Last edited by mosk; 02-25-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added warning about Tacoma and 4Runner ECU wiring being different
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for posting that over here Jeff. Your hard and tedious work will be appreciated by many.

If this doesn't become a sticky, I don't know what constitutes one.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM

HOLY CRAP!!! You should throw a donate button up on your post. Because this is pure gold. This will help SOOOO many ppl!!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks -- that was my reaction upon completing this. I thought there'd be a bit more enthusiasm for this because it's really useful to see this data arranged this way -- this is essentially a guide and reference for all the first generation Tacoma ECU wiring, 5VZE and 3RZ, and it's organized in a way that's much more accessible than the FSM. This will tell you at a glance which functions are supported by each Tacoma ECU (by year, motor and trans type), as well as the respective ECU connector, pin, and wiring color for that function, for both manual and automatic trans, and it not only does all that but also compares auto and manual values values for each year/motor combo side by side and indicates if they are different. It should be a huge time saver for anyone who needs to dive into the ECU wiring, and a real companion to the FSM. And, y'know, it's also free.

Like I said, I made this initially because I wanted this sort of data for my own project, and I extended it to the other Tacoma models because once I had the templates it was mainly a matter of data entry. I think more people will appreciate it as they find the need to examine their ECU pinouts.

Jeff

Last edited by mosk; 07-09-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 PM

dude why isn't there a donate button on your post yet I would gladly have given you the 15 bucks than give it to toyota. And hey I get your awesomeness forever now! not just 2 days!!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM

I am in the middle of doing my wiring for my 3.4 swap and found this to be a huge help. I am using a auto harness with a manual ecu and trans. I knew the pinnouts were the same but this helped me figure out which wires from the harness that I didnt need at all. Thanks for your effort and help!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
sticky much needed, this has to be the #1 swapped engine on YT

Nice work!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
thanks for all the work-->stickified
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great job!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 PM

Question

Sorry for reviving a dead thread... I have a stupid question. I'm converting my 2004 DCSB 3.4L Auto 4x4 to a Manual 4x4. I'm going to track down an ECU from a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab, just to make things simple as I have throttle-by-wire. My dumb question is, by looking at the PDF submitted by "Mosk", I only have to re-pin ONE wire??? This seems almost TOO easy! Am I looking at this correctly? I see there are a bunch of wires that are N/A, which, from what I understand, are not in use. But, I only have to relocate one wire to a new pin?

Thanks for the help! And especially to you, Mosk!!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:53 PM

H Jrakki,

Yep, you need to re-pin one wire (at least according to the FSM diagrams I compiled when I put my wiring guide together five years ago). There are a bunch of wires you should probably disconnect -- all the ones labelled "N/A" -- but you should only need to move one wire. But -- BUT!!! -- you should do a spot check and make sure the wires in each connector have the same colors and the same pin position as the diagrams you are trusting! It will be time well spent to verify what I pulled together, as I don't own and haven't worked on a 2004, so all of the data compilation for these was done from diagrams in the FSMs. And FWIW I discovered at least three mistakes in the FSM diagrams when I did my 2002 (wires that were in different positions and in one case a different connector), so these wiring diagrams are only as good as the source material.

In general, the wiring got a lot saner and more consistent as the Tacoma became more mature, so it stands to reason that your 2004 should be pretty similar between the two trans types. The early Tacoma wiring diagrams changed significantly between auto and manual -- look at the 1996 diagrams in my guide to see the most extreme examples of this, as it's crazy. By 2004 they had a better grasp of how to make the wiring consistent between A/T and manual, and this is especially apparent after you've looked at a bunch of these.

> Thanks for the help! And especially to you, Mosk!!

Hey, you're welcome! Glad to know someone is making use of this stuff.

Cheers,

mosk

Last edited by mosk; 06-30-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM

Question

Originally Posted by mosk
H Jrakki,

Yep, you need to re-pin one wire (at least according to the FSM diagrams I compiled when I put my wiring guide together five years ago). There are a bunch of wires you should probably disconnect -- all the ones labelled "N/A" -- but you should only need to move one wire. But -- BUT!!! -- you should do a spot check and make sure the wires in each connector have the same colors and the same pin position as the diagrams you are trusting! It will be time well spent to verify what I pulled together, as I don't own and haven't worked on a 2004, so all of the data compilation for these was done from diagrams in the FSMs. And FWIW I discovered at least three mistakes in the FSM diagrams when I did my 2002 (wires that were in different positions and in one case a different connector), so these wiring diagrams are only as good as the source material.

In general, the wiring got a lot saner and more consistent as the Tacoma became more mature, so it stands to reason that your 2004 should be pretty similar between the two trans types. The early Tacoma wiring diagrams changed significantly between auto and manual -- look at the 1996 diagrams in my guide to see the most extreme examples of this, as it's crazy. By 2004 they had a better grasp of how to make the wiring consistent between A/T and manual, and this is especially apparent after you've looked at a bunch of these.

Cheers,

mosk

I was expecting the throttle-by-wire setup to be a lot more of a headache as far as swapping goes. I'm purchasing a 98 Tacoma Ext Cab V6 4WD and using the trans from it to do my swap (Entire truck for $500!! (minus the rear e-locker, it's gone ).
Do any of you happen to know the part # for the ECU to fit an 04 Tacoma V6 Manual 4WD TRD? I'm having a hard time tracking down the info and I KNOW if I go to the dealership I'll just leave there mad at the world, simply because they don't know jack of here. Had one of the guys even argue with me, saying that a 92 Pickup didn't come with a 22RE.... I've also got a TRD 7TH injector kit and supercharger to add to the wiring mayhem, but I assume that has nothing to do with the trans, and should be an easy re-plug and play ordeal. EVERY WIRE on the TRD 7th injector piggyback computer is RED... lol
Anyway, if somebody could help me out on the Ecu Part #, or some more insight on the 7th injector computer that would help me a ton!!! Also wondering if it would be a better idea for me to swap the harness from the 98 and eliminate the throttle-by-wire??? Thoughts on that?
Sorry for all the questions... I'm more into the pre-tacoma pickups
Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 PM

Uh...unless you love mysterious wiring issues and random CELs you really don't want to backwards convert your 2004 to a '98. For starters, your 2004 has much more advanced circuitry -- not just TBW but also a different emissions system. These parts won't mate up, and wiring the 98 computer into a 2004 Tacoma is a huge task with a lot of opportunities to introduce mistakes. The path to convert your existing setup from A/T to manual is straightforward. Don't make this a bigger project than it needs to be.

As for part numbers, I am not an expert on these AT ALL. I did about 5 minutes of digging and it looks like this is the correct* part number: 89661-04830 (2004 Tacoma 4x4, V6, manual trans).

*Correct based on a 5 minute search, so PLEASE CONFIRM THIS INDEPENDENTLY!

I would strongly suggest looking for an ECU using http://car-part.com. They have about a dozen of the 89661-04830 ECUs listed with different wreckers, and the price seems to be $150 - $300. Be prepared to make some phone calls and do some talking -- always verify parts numbers, etc. There is also one on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/READ-2004-Toyota-Tacoma-3-4L-4X4-5-Speed-Engine-Control-Module-OEM-89661-04830-/221744268242?hash=item33a0fd03d2&vxp=mtr).

My suggestion would be to get it running OK with the MT, then pursue the S/C and 7th injector. Otherwise you are just asking to make this a never-ending project.

Good luck!

Last edited by mosk; 07-01-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 PM

Uh...unless you love mysterious wiring issues and random CELs you really don't want to backwards convert your 2004 to a '98. For starters, your 2004 has much more advanced circuitry -- not just TBW but also a different emissions system. These parts won't mate up, and wiring the 98 computer into a 2004 Tacoma is a huge task with a lot of opportunities to introduce mistakes. The path to convert your existing setup from A/T to manual is straightforward. Don't make this a bigger project than it needs to be.

As for part numbers, I am not an expert on these AT ALL. I did about 5 minutes of digging and it looks like this is the correct* part number: 89661-04830 (2004 Tacoma 4x4, V6, manual trans).

*Correct based on a 5 minute search, so PLEASE CONFIRM THIS INDEPENDENTLY!

I would strongly suggest looking for an ECU using http://car-part.com. They have about a dozen of the 89661-04830 ECUs listed with different wreckers, and the price seems to be $150 - $300. Be prepared to make some phone calls and do some talking -- always verify parts numbers, etc. There is also one on eBay (here).

My suggestion would be to get it running OK with the MT, then pursue the S/C and 7th injector. Otherwise you are just asking to make this a never-ending project.

Good luck!

Weird... I checked ebay all night last night and kept getting 4cyl ECU's, left and right. I even copied and pasted your part # and got zero hits, until clicking on your link, and of course they don't ship to Canada... There's a local scrap yard that got all of the frame recall pickups, so they're probably my best bet, especially now that I have the part # as a reference (thanks).
The S/C and 7th injector kit is already running, and installed on my pickup right now. I'd rather leave it there, over pulling the S/C, getting the gaskets, and using the 98 manifold (I assume they're the same as I don't have the original intake manifold), and then going backwards from there with gaskets, and a re-install of the S/C.

Last edited by Jrakk; 07-01-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 PM

H Jrakki,

Cheers,

mosk
I'm doing a manual swap on my 96 2.7 4wd Tacoma, and I have a manual Ecu and was just wondering if you knew if it'll just plug in and work normally? Heard over on tacomaworld that it's just a letter of removing wires you don't need but could you just leave them there in case you ever need the auto again? Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2016, 02:04 AM

No, not on a '96 - the 1996 A/T and M/T ECU connections are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. For one thing, they have a different number of connectors:

1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma A/T vs M/T ECU pinouts-9kqgiva.png

But even more importantly, the wires move all over the place between the two versions. You will be moving (re-pinning) 90% of the wires in the harness to do this right.

Please read the guide I put together. The link is in the first post in this thread. It does all the heavy lifting on this, all you have to do is read it. The above image is from the guide, and it's followed by a list that shows exactly which wires you'll need to move to do this swap on a 1996.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:31 PM

Mosk, have you had any luck with the later model 99+ A/T security system bypass? I have a 2002 motor/auto going into an 88 4runner. But, we scrapped the 02' 4runner not realizing we needed the ignition switch with key.

So, with the ECU not sensing the signal from the switch, we have no fuel. Is there a bypass for this without the switch?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM

Sorry, my 2002 A/T didn't have the factory security system, so I didn't have to deal with that. I am sure there is a bypass, as to my knowledge that's a secondary system and was not shown on the ECU wiring diagrams I used to build my charts. You may need to remove the OEM system, or re-wire it, but I can't help with that. Again, sorry.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:55 PM

Sorry, my 2002 A/T didn't have the factory security system, so I didn't have to deal with that. I am sure there is a bypass, as to my knowledge that's a secondary system and was not shown on the ECU wiring diagrams I used to build my charts. You may need to remove the OEM system, or re-wire it, but I can't help with that. Again, sorry.
What year make model and vin of 2002 he used? Then we might be able to find an ECU without a security system. Based on the searching I have done over the past few days I couldn't seem to find one. But based on your vin we might be able to find what we need. You can PM me if need be.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
What year make model and vin of 2002 he used?
Huh?

Make: Toyota
Year: 2002
Model donor ECU taken from: 2002 Tacoma A/T V6
2002 Tacoma V6 M/T 4x4 Donor Vehicle ECU part number: 89666-04010

Sorry, but I'm not comfortable sending my VIN number; the above part number of the correct ECU I used for my 2002 conversion should be sufficient. In the research I did five years ago, I did not see any mention of the vehicle security running through the ECU. The security system may run through a different computer -- IIRC there's a separate "body" computer as well as as the ECU, but to the best of my knowledge the engine computer does not include the security computer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma A/T vs M/T ECU pinouts