3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

1992 4Runner 3.4 Swap Running Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 4Runner 3.4 Swap Running Thread

This is my first post on this forum. So let me get my introduction out of the way. My name is Tyler, married, 29, 3 kids and I live in Yukon, Ok (OKC suburb). I play a ton of Halo MCC and Destiny on Xbox One, feel free to join me (Blaine1034). I found this forum by doing 3.4 swap research and needless to say yotatech provides the most helpful information of anywhere.

My reason for running this thread is 2 fold. I want others to be able to use my experience on this project to help them in the future and I would love to have input when you all see me doing something wrong or have a better idea. I take constructive criticism well so just bring any thoughts, ideas, or concerns to the discussion.

I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to upload all of this amazing information. Without it, this task would be a lot more complicated. Alright now on to the meat and potatoes.

My awesome vehicle (recipient):
1992 SR5 4Runner
Automatic 4x4
3.0 with 158,xxx mi

My no good vehicle (donor)
2002 Limited 4Runner
Automatic 4x2
3.4 with 130,xxx mi
**BTW this is a full truck and I am selling off everything but the engine. If you need something please let me know. I have everything but the steering wheel (i broke it off), front bumper, and headlights/foglights.

Now to get the show on the road

My friend Matt and I are working this project together as he was kind enough to lend his time. This will not be a quick swap as I have a job, 3 kids, do woodworking on the side, and I am in no rush. We already started, having the engine in the donor ready to be pulled out. We are now waiting on our cherry picker to get here tomorrow.

Here are the start pictures. Beautiful (Matt not so much)

Getting the engine ready to be pulled was not too bad. A lot of zip lock bags for labeling/containing hardware and duct tape to keep it with its corresponding part. We started driver side top and worked down and across. I would say the only part that took some time was removing the dash to get the ECU and wiring harness out and free. Overall we spent 8hrs and 2 pizzas getting to this point. It can be done much quicker, however I like to move slow and just enjoy the work. Like I said I am not in a hurry. I did not take many pictures through this part as it is pretty self explanatory and simple.

We are removing the front end and going to attempt to remove the engine with the tranny attached. Any thoughts on that?? We disconnected the drive shaft (4 bolts and pull out) and it seems like it will be easy enough.

Steps we did:
-removed hood
-removed dash
-removed drive shaft
-unbolted tranny cross member
-took out engine mount bolts
-removed front end
-removed radiator and all coolant lines
-took off intake manifold (made getting a few hoses off easier with more pulling room but NOT necessary)
-removed ac dryer, high pressure lines, disconnected low pressure lines
-pulled wiring harness through firewall
-disconnected all vacuum lines
-removed evap box
-disconnected engine fuse box
-disconnected main fuel line

There is more im sure im forgetting to list and I will try to add to this when I get around the truck again.

I pulled every single repair manual pdf and wiring diagram TIStech had to offer for both the 92' and the 02'. I am going to try and do the wiring myself which does not seem to be too hard. I plan on using my current transmission that is in my 92' so I am going to get the T100 4x4 ECU to alleviate the tranny sensor issues that come with using a 4runner ECU. I will do the exhaust cross-pipe myself and of course evap box mount and battery relocation. My next update should be sometime this weekend and should have more pictures. Yay. Until then..................

Last edited by 00Tyler10; 01-21-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:51 PM

Awesome!! Im just getting all the pieces together to do my own swap on my 93runner. Going to Washington on the 6th of next month to pickup everything I need from a complete donor. Ill keep an eye on this and good luck!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:51 AM

So this weekend I didnt get to touch the truck. Ran into some other obligations. However my cherry picker, engine hoist, and engine stand all got here. I have to finish up a few carpentry projects today and tomorrow, bible study wed night, and then Thursday I should be back at it.....until then gents........
Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by wolfrunner
Awesome!! Im just getting all the pieces together to do my own swap on my 93runner. Going to Washington on the 6th of next month to pickup everything I need from a complete donor. Ill keep an eye on this and good luck!!!
Good luck on your swap bud
Old 01-29-2016, 12:53 PM

So last night my brother, Matt, and I got the 3.4 out of the 2002. We chose to pull it with the transmission and I am glad that we did. To be honest it seemed to be easier than taking off the exhaust crosspipe, starter, undoing flywheel bolts, and taking out bell housing bolts. What we did have to do:
-unbolt driveshaft which was 4 bolts and pull out
-take the 4 12mm bolts out of transmission mount (we had a jack under the transmission)
-disconnect the shift actuator from driver side of transmission
-unbolt the exhaust manifold from the exhaust running to the back of truck, it was 3 bolts above the front axle on passenger side.
-disconnect the 2 lines running from the tranny to the radiator. After disconnecting from the tranny there are 2 mounts running along the bottom of the engine for them that you have to unbolt also. The lines run on the passenger side. I dont believe it was necessary at all to remove them but it was quite easy and just less to worry about getting hung up while pulling it all out.
-Unbolt the motor mounts. These were cake. Both the pass side can be done from the top, the front driver side can be done from the front and top and the back driver side bolt from the wheel well.
-Make sure you get the power-steering lines disconnected.

All the bolts were fairly easy to get to and didnt require too terribly much work to break free. We used a 4 ton cherry picker and had one person jacking the engine up and pulling it forward while 2 of us were underneath pushing the transmission down to clear the firewall. It all came out nicely in one piece and now I have all the room in the world to get the tranny off of it. For those of you who want to just remove the engine without the tranny here is an excellent link: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...e-removal.html Beware though, the exhaust crosspipe bolts.........SUCKKKKKKKKK

Here she is free and clear and for the record I have no idea what i was doing down there during the picture. Somehow Matt keeps making it front and center in the pics.

I will be pulling the 3.0 from my 92' tomorrow and will update again on Sunday. Until then..............
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 AM

So I need advise gentlemen. I have run into quite the situation. So here is what is going on:

We are working on getting the 3.0 out of the 92 4runner. It is a 3.0 with the A340H transmission 4x4. From my research this is the transmission where all of it is one piece (the transfer case, bell housing, and transmission) so there is no swapping bell housings or removing transfer case etc.... So my dilemma is this, while taking out all the bell housing bolts i noticed that the starter only had 1 bolt and i thought some idiot forgot to put it back in at some point..........well went to pull starter and it wouldnt come out. After further inspection i noticed the bolt was broke off inside the bell housing leaving the starter stuck on, which also means I would have to pull the transmission with the engine. Well that wouldnt be a problem if the transfer case could be seperated and from what i have read it cannot. So my question is this, can I pull all of it (engine, tranny+transfer case) out at once? I have the intake manifold, valve covers, heads, and exhaust crossover/manifolds, fan, and all engine accessories off. I can quickly drop the front sway bar and tranny/transfer case cross member and axles. Is this possible or do I need to find another alternative? Ive considered breaking the starter to pieces and cutting wheel off the starter then try drilling the bolt out but thats going to be tough with very limited room.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The starter should only be held on by those 2 bolts between it and the bellhousing; if I remember correctly, the bolts are mounted in opposite directions, with one threading into the bellhousing and the other threading into the starter (or maybe I have it mixed up with the 3.4 starter).

I would think, that if you removed one bolt and the other bolt broke off (the bolt head is gone leaving just the shank of the bolt keeping things lined up but not held together) you should be able to move the starter forward away from the bellhousing (you may need to removed the A/C compressor for more room) to remove the starter.

I'm personally squeamish of the idea of lifting the motor + transmission + transfer case just because of how high everything needs to be lifted to clear the radiator support and firewall.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:44 AM

Oh good lord! You are right....it was even in my manual. You saying that made me recall it and i went back to the RM and sure enough they alternate directions just as the 3.4 does....you sir win post of the day. thank you.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Guys I am new to the site and I am trying to locate specifics on 3.0 M/T bolted to the 3.4 I am swapping. I've read somewhere about needing a different pilot bearing, can anyone point me in the right direction?
97 4 runner 3.4 A/T donor.
92 4wd pickup 3.0 M/T recipient
Thanks
Old 03-26-2016, 10:02 AM

3.4 M/T Pilot bearing is need for the 3.4 motor, i'm just finishing my swap and this is what i used. I used a 3.0 throw out bearing for the 3.0 M/T and everything seems to be working fine.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, the same bearing is used as a pilot bearing for all 22R(E)'s, 3.0's, 3.4's, and a bunch of other applications.

Yes, 3.0 throwout bearing must be used with the 3.0's R150F (the R150F was used in both the 3.0 and 3.4 but had different length input shafts/bellhousings/throwout bearings).

For all other clutch parts (flywheel, disk, pressure plate), I would get the 3.4 parts, they're slightly larger to handle the extra power from the 3.4, though they are a little more expensive. I've read that the 3.0 clutch parts all work fine, so that could be an option if you wanted.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:53 PM

Following Closely!!

This could not be more timely.. I have recently bought my son a real clean 92 4x4 4runner with a nasty engine knock (only paid $800) and was lucky enough to find a crashed 98 with the 3.4 that was rebuilt 3500 miles ago, with brand new BFGA's guy has receipts for over $5K invested (Stole it for $1000) So I am in the process of doing my swap now. I Will be checking in often!!!

Thanks for taking the time to document everything. I am my own mechanic but have not done anything this big since high school but it is an awesome project for my son and I to work on together and I can be rest assured that he has an awesome vehicle that will be reliable for years to come.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TOMBUGG

This is definitely a great project to do with you son. I did the same (93 4Runner/97 3.4) thing with my son when he was 15 and he loved it. He daily drove it for over 2.5 yrs. until it was totally in an accident. We then did another one which he drove for another year or so.
I am just getting ready to start my third swap with my youngest son who needs a 4x4 for college up in Minn.

Keep up the good work guys (this is meant for EVERYONE that contributes and makes is easier for everyone else).
Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 PM

Great post, I am excited for you. I have the same set up, but am still trying to hash out the tranny. I want to keep my auto trans in my 92 but still not clear on what I need from the t100 the whole trans or just the ecu? Will be following closely.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:25 AM

So obviously I have not been posting. I have not stopped the project. I got laid off in February and got my new job in May. I have been on the road since then. I have now started the self wiring of the harness. I will post pictures as I go.

I did buy the ECU from a T100 that works with the A340H transmission. It was $60 on carparts or whatever that used car part website is. The ECU came in excellent condition. I am using

http://66.95.100.204/test/3.4%20Swap...g%20Theory.pdf

for reference along with the EWDs from TIS website. If you have not been to TIS and downloaded your repair manuals, EWDs and service manuals I highly recommend it. It is only $15 for 48 hour access and you can pull all the information off of it you want in that time.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flippz
Great post, I am excited for you. I have the same set up, but am still trying to hash out the tranny. I want to keep my auto trans in my 92 but still not clear on what I need from the t100 the whole trans or just the ecu? Will be following closely.
You just need the ECU but God bless the wiring. I am quickly getting irritated with this. My ENTIRE hold up at this point is my inability to figure the wiring out and I am too cheap/prideful to pay $725 for the ORS wiring harness.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 00Tyler10
So obviously I have not been posting. I have not stopped the project. I got laid off in February and got my new job in May. I have been on the road since then. I have now started the self wiring of the harness. I will post pictures as I go.

I did buy the ECU from a T100 that works with the A340H transmission. It was $60 on carparts or whatever that used car part website is. The ECU came in excellent condition. I am using

for reference along with the EWDs from TIS website. If you have not been to TIS and downloaded your repair manuals, EWDs and service manuals I highly recommend it. It is only $15 for 48 hour access and you can pull all the information off of it you want in that time.
I have no pictures to post because I suck at this part. I would like to reiterate how much I am hating trying to figure this out. I wish someone had done the swap with the re-use of the A340H transmission.

Last edited by 00Tyler10; 12-01-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 AM

So I have a wiring question for anyone who might have answers. I got the ECU for a 1997 4x4 T100 with a 3.4. Part number 89661-0w030. Does the engine harness from the 3.0 Plug directly into this? I took the E9 and E10 plug and it does not seem to fit in any of the ECU slots. Maybe I am missing something here?
Old 12-05-2016, 07:46 AM

So what it looks like:

My donor was a 99-00 4Runner 4x2 and the ECU plugs are E9(A), E10(B), E11(C), E12(D) and E14(E)

I bought a 1997 T100 4x4 ECU (I am using my A340H transmission with the swap which is why I chose to get the T100 ECU). This ECU only has 4 plugs that are obviously different from my 99-00 ECU plugs.

My problem. I did NOT take out the body harness of the donor 99-00 4runner(big mistake I know). SOOOOOOO how do I connect my 92 body harness, 99-00 Engine harness and the 97 T100 ECU all together. Are there part numbers for plugs I can order etc? I have not found anyone who has done a similar swap.

My vehicle
1992 4Runner 3.0vze, 4x4, A/T

My donor
1999-2000 4Runner 3.4 5vz, 4x2, A/T

My ECU
1997 T100 3.4 5vz, 4x4, A/T (Part number 89661-0w030)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:14 AM

So I talked with Cliff at ToyOnlySwaps and here is what I learned that I want to share with anyone who is doing a similar swap.

If you have have an auto and are keeping the A340 A/T 2nd gen transmission then you MUST use:
T100 ECU (I knew this part)
Corresponding T100 Engine wiring harness (This is the part I did NOT know)

You will find that the 3.4 A/T 4 Runners had 5 ECU plugs (E9,E10,E11,E12,E14) and the T100 only has 4. Not only does the T100 run 1 less plug/connector, they are different shapes/sizes. This means an engine harness off a different application 3.4 WILL NOT WORK. So to save yourself time/money/heartache, IF you want to run the auto A340 2nd gen transmission THEN get a T100 complete donor. It is just easier that way. If you cannot find one then piecing together WILL work it just takes more time and I feel, more money in the end. The good news is I got a T100 engine harness for $175 on car-parts and ToyOnlySwaps has donor plugs (for dash harness plugs) for $75. However they will not just sell you the plugs, you must have them build your harness (which i now am doing) so tack on another $600. You can save this money however by just getting the T100 from the get go. I learned this lesson the hard way and wanted to share to help someone else in the future. ToyOnlySwaps will give you $100 credit for your 3.4 harness though so that is nice that my 4runner 3.4 harness is not wasted and does help a little bit on the cost.

Quick Reply: 1992 4Runner 3.4 Swap Running Thread