Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Strange noise from engine...water pump? T-belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise from engine...water pump? T-belt?

Hey all, pretty new here and lovin this site. Hoping for some help with an issue that has just arisen. I have a '97 4R with the 3.4 engine and 128k miles. In the past week or so, I've noticed a very strange noise coming from the front end of engine...very hard to explain but sort of a low, grinding, reciprocal type noise that is out of sync with the motor. Started out it was much worse in the morning and not quite as bad after it to warmed up, however it seemed to come and go in severity. Very strange. At first I though it might be one of the shafts/pulleys for the belts or something like that...It's definitely not a belt though as the noise is much lower pitched and I've tried belt dressing with no luck as a last ditch guess. So I take it to my mechanic, who is also my neighbor and very well trusted. It is pretty loud and clearly noticeable at this point. He uses a stethascope to listen down around the front lower end of the engine. His best guess is either a water pump or perhaps the t-belt rubbing against the water pump (misaligned, something not torqued properly in the past, etc) I do not have any history on the truck as I bought it from a small dealer a couple months ago. He suggest taking off the belts first and then opening up the engine to check pump and belt if noise persists. Well, I'm pretty tapped out right now so decide to press on and see what happens (I hate doing that) until I get paid in a couple weeks . Low and behold, the noise is now completedly gone! I don't know if I should be releived or really worried? My number one priority is always reliability (which is why I bought this truck in the 1st place and wasn't too concerned about the mileage). It's the not knowing part that worries me most. Should I be proactive and have him open it up and see, or subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory? He said if it is the water pump it would likely start leaking first? Hoping someone else has had a similar issue and might give some advice here...thanks all!!

"bound to cover just a little more ground"
MDB
Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 AM

if it's the water pump you should be able to see some discoloration/wetness by the weep hole on the pump.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM

I have a 22R-E, but this does sound like something my engine has been doing for the past year or so. It is definitely metallic and not belts in my case, too. I'm also pretty sure my water pump is OK, it's about 40K old and genuine Toyota. No weeping on mine. Anyway, using the cheap-o 'scope I'm pretty sure mine is either the alternator or the PS pump. It's quite obvious at idle, but harder to hear at speed. Well, in any case all I'm really adding is that it could certainly be one of the accessories, like worn out bearings for example.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:13 PM

Its probably the water pump, many mechanics recommend its replacement at 90,000 miles.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:46 PM

on the 22RE, i would also check the power steering idler pulley bearing...they have a tendency to wear out and make a horrible noise...toyota wants like $100+ for a new assembly, but you can get just the bearing for about $9. takes about 20 minutes to replace the bearing.

here is a thread on 4x4wire about it.

not sure if the the 3.4 has a similar thing or not...

i'd suggest taking off the power steering belt and running the engine and see if the noise goes away.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:43 AM

WEll, It's baaaackkkk...I knew as soon as I posted it would return and sure enough...what's strange is that sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's really loud. I don't know if I 'd call it a grinding or a clanking or what....Assuming it is likely the water pump (and it isn't leaking btw) any guess on how long I've got...week, month, year, etc...I'm really worried cuz i got a big weekend coming up with family in town and driving all over the place. dang....
Old 06-30-2005, 06:46 PM

probly just a t-belt.