Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

HELP! 1G IFS Front Diff Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 1G IFS Front Diff Question (vid of problem)

On my 86 4Runner SR5, i recently noticed a binding/grinding noise espically when turning when driving. At first it appeared to be coming from the rear but after further inspection i found out the problem is with the front diff. the noise is not consistent. it does not occur all the time, but more noticable when turning...

the truck is not lifted. Stock tires. Manual locking diff. transfer case and front diff fluid was recently changed.

The problem is the axle on the passenger side that attached to the diff has a least 1.5" of up/down play. The driver side is fine. I can literally grab the axle and move it up and down.

A few questions...

1. What is wrong?
2. Is it safe to drive?
3. What is the worst damage that can be done if i continue to drive it.

My friend has another 1st gen with IFS. He is willing to sell me the entire truck for $300. Can i just swap the front diff? I was told by a friend that the gearing might be different, thus a big no-no in 4X4.

Thanks for your time and any advice is apprecited.

Simon

Last edited by kwando; 06-23-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:01 PM

Is the inner CV boot torn ?
If not, could this possibly be your lower A-arm rubbing against the steering stops as you turn and the front end flexes over some uneven terrain ??
Irregardless, I'd buy the friends ride...always good to have spares.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-20-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM

When you say the axle can be moved, I'm assuming you're talking the half shaft that goes between the spindle (wheel) and axle. Sounds to me like you've got a bad CV joint. The CV will make that crunchy binding sound when turning at slow speeds - espeically in reverse when you back out of a parking space if it's damaged or broken. A new half shaft with CV's on both ends is usually less than $150

Now about that friends of yours and the $300 truck....... Sounds like a good excuse to build a trail rig!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:15 PM

let me clarify this a little... i'm not too technically inclined so i will try my best...

the CV boot is fine. it's the part that goes into the front diff... it's like an entire bearing is missing, because i can literally move it up/down... i will try to take some pics this week and post them
Old 06-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well if your talking about a loud creeking noise when you turn and go over a bump, thats pretty normal with old Toy IFS's.

I dontk now about that play though in the half shaft. Id imagine that your CV is just shot and will need to replace that, which for the most part isint that bad.

If you have manual hubs then it shouldnt be turning when driving in 2wd.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Well if your talking about a loud creeking noise when you turn and go over a bump, thats pretty normal with old Toy IFS's.

I dontk now about that play though in the half shaft. Id imagine that your CV is just shot and will need to replace that, which for the most part isint that bad.

If you have manual hubs then it shouldnt be turning when driving in 2wd.

i know what the creaking noise sounds like and i know where the source of that is.

The noise i am referring to only occurs when i am moving (usually more then 25mph) and winding a turn in the road. at first i though it was one of my mud flaps dragging when turning.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it making the noise even in 2WD with the hubs unlocked? I would think a bad or broken CV joint wouldn't make any noise in 2WD with the hubs unlocked, but would make a lot of noise in 4WD. The CV axle shafts shouldn't have much or any up and down play.

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-21-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Is it making the noise even in 2WD with the hubs unlocked? I would think a bad or broken CV joint wouldn't make any noise in 2WD with the hubs unlocked, but would make a lot of noise in 4WD. The CV axle shafts shouldn't much or any up and down play.
If the axle were broken (I'm speculating, so hear it out), it could make noise all the time. Unlocking the hubs keeps it from turning, but the axle still moves as the wheel travels over bumps. So if it the tulip was broken or the diff itself has a problem, it is possible that it would make noises, even in 2WD + unlocked hubs. From the description, it does sound odd that he could move the inner CV joint up and down. Maybe the nuts are loose at the diff flange and the axle is just banging around on the studs.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by kwando
let me clarify this a little... i'm not too technically inclined so i will try my best...

the CV boot is fine. it's the part that goes into the front diff... it's like an entire bearing is missing, because i can literally move it up/down... i will try to take some pics this week and post them
So if it's the axle stub coming from the diff where the halfshaft bolts on, there may indeed be something broken inside the axle. It's been a real long time since I've had one apart, but I would bet a broken axle stub shaft. I don't think you're going to break anything in the carrier that easily. You may have to crack open the diff to see what's going on in there.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
If the axle were broken (I'm speculating, so hear it out), it could make noise all the time. Unlocking the hubs keeps it from turning, but the axle still moves as the wheel travels over bumps. So if it the tulip was broken or the diff itself has a problem, it is possible that it would make noises, even in 2WD + unlocked hubs. From the description, it does sound odd that he could move the inner CV joint up and down. Maybe the nuts are loose at the diff flange and the axle is just banging around on the studs.
Good point, I could see that happening as you hit bumps.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:04 PM

thanks for all the help... i am going to get some pics this weekend of the problem and i will post them.

the hubs are unlocked and the truck is in 2wd. The noise is more noticable when turning left. It rarely happens when just traveling straight... thus i am thinking that the u joints are bad/going out and causing the axle to rotate when i turn...

do the axles have zerk fittings for me to grease them up?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kwando
thanks for all the help... i am going to get some pics this weekend of the problem and i will post them.

the hubs are unlocked and the truck is in 2wd. The noise is more noticable when turning left. It rarely happens when just traveling straight... thus i am thinking that the u joints are bad/going out and causing the axle to rotate when i turn...

do the axles have zerk fittings for me to grease them up?
Axles no, drive shafts yes. Have you tried putting it in 4WD? If so what happened?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:15 AM

haven't tried 4WD yet... but i did check it out for a little bit yesterday to see if any of the bolts are loose/missing and they are all there and tight... it is the shaft that the axle bolts to is loose or moving.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:11 PM

i took some crappy vids of the problem with my camera phone.

i could have swore there was more play the last time my buddy and i checked it out. It does seem like the CV joint is messed up, so i might just replace that first before looking to replace the diff.

here are a few videos... what does it look like? Is that amount of play normal?

Vid 1 - Right click and save as
Vid 2 - Right click and save as
Vid 3 - Right click and save as
Old 06-27-2005, 05:29 PM

had a little time to look at it today. the diff is definatley messed up. with the hubs unlocked and the truck not in 4WD, when i turn the axle, i heard what sounds like sand inside grinding. at the same time when i am wiggling the axle shaft, oil comes dribbling down out of the diff.