Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

"fluttering" noise from engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"fluttering" noise from engine compartment

My stepdad's 94 4x4 3.0 v6 has been doing this for awhile now, and my 99 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 just started it recently. They may be completely different issues.

On the 94, the sound is more of a sucking noise, seemingly coming from the intake box. From the cab it sounds kinda fluttery, but when you open the hood, it sounds like a sucking noise. When you pop the airbox open, you can hear it even better. It sounds like it's coming from the MAF to me, but I'm not sure. The CEL is NOT on however. But you can reach up inside the lid of the airbox and mess around with the little flapper valve up inside by the MAF and get it to stop, but then the engine wants to die. Anyone have any idea on this one?

Now, onto the 99. The noise just started recently. Sitting in the cab of the truck, you can hear the noise. It sounds like it's coming from the dash or under the hood. The best way I can think of to describe the noise is that it almost sounds like a pigeon kindof "cooing". It's a fluttering kindof noise. It won't do it at idle and you can't hear it when you pop the hood. It only does it when the truck is in gear and moving. It's very odd.

So if anyone has the slightest idea of what may be causing this on either truck, please let me know. I'd sure appreciate it.

Josh
Old 05-23-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve adjustment

Hello,

I also had this problem with my 1989 Pickup 4x4 22re. So I took it to one of my friends houses whose dad is a mechanic. He looked at it and heard the noises coming from the intake box and the tapping coming from the engine and concluded that the distance between some of the rocker arms and the valve heads were off on the intake side of valves. So we popped the valve cover off and got some little feelers to measure the gap in between the rocker arm and the valve head. SUre enough, some of them were desperately off. We adjusted them and put everything back together....the tapping was gone along with the flutter in the intake box and everything runs great. So u might consider taking it into a shop or trying to fix it yourself with a chilton manual or something depending on how mechanical you are.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff