Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Dropped Drive Axle doing 70!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dropped Drive Axle doing 70!!

The most exciting part was that it was the front universal that went out, so my truck used my axle as a freakin pole vault! I was able to keep control and pulled off the road. Now I have it back home, but now what!?

The Hanes manual gives instructions on removal and installation, but what if the thing is half removed already? It keeps telling me to mark the flanges so I know where to line it up to, but if it has been free spinning a bit, how do I know what wen where?

Also what do I need to replace? I know I will have to replace the front Universal, but what about the Drive shaft itself? Do I have it checked and balanced? Replace it?

Any ideas on this will help, guys. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TRunner; 04-26-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would bring it to a driveshaft shop and at least have it inspected. Would probably replace it myself if it did "pole vault"
Old 04-26-2005, 08:24 AM

I would just find one at a junk yard and pull the whole thing off and put it in yours. I am in the process of replacing the all the u-joints in mine, so with the added expense of taking it to a shop, you could probably pick one up for just as much and not have to do anything but bolt it on.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:45 AM

Aahahahha, i was just watching a show called mythbusters where they did the exact same experiment!
They were going pretty slow (40-50k) and it really messed up the car, i would check everything for the alignment of your rearend/frame and suspension, ot see it it's still straight (if the truck did indeed pole vault).
Oh, new driveshaft for sure.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Roger's site will help you a lot with the phasing and other details: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml
Old 04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

All great comments so far guys. I like the idea of the junk yard, but how do I know if it is good? I still may do that though. I have a local drive shaft shop that I could call, but I am sure that is going to start to cost a bit. Money no object in getting it done, but I still don't want to have to fork out what I don't have to. I will get the alignment done, regardless.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:08 AM

if you pole vaulted off your front drive shaft, make sure you T-case isn't damaged and that the flange is still tight..
Old 04-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

I think the transfer case was not effected, but I will double check. The scary thing is it almost took out my catalytic converter that I just had replaced by warrenty last Friday! The heat shield is a bit banged up, though. I will get some pictures posted a little later...

Keep the informative replies coming!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:02 AM

It seams very suspicious that you had the catalytic converter just replaced by warranty last Friday and now your front drive shaft falls off… They may have taken it off for more room to work and forgot to tighten the bolts back up. Just a thought…
I would think your drive shaft is most likely junk now. Also look closely at the t-case flange and seal, is it leaking any oil?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

I found a rear drive axle assembly for $150 at a local yard. I think I may snag that one and check the angles when I install this one.

I will double check the transfer case as I recall there was no real damage to it, but it was a bit oily.

As for the the installation of the catalytic converter, I was under the car with him when he did it. It wasn't anything he did.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by aferg
It seams very suspicious that you had the catalytic converter just replaced by warranty last Friday and now your front drive shaft falls off… They may have taken it off for more room to work and forgot to tighten the bolts back up. Just a thought…
I would think your drive shaft is most likely junk now. Also look closely at the t-case flange and seal, is it leaking any oil?
I would say your on the money with this not being a coincidence. A friend of mine is a full-time mechanic at Rahal Racing, and owns his own shop on the side called Deceptive Machines, and he admitted to me a awhile ago that he just finished working on a wrangler and had it picked up by the owner. The only problem was my mechanic friend forgot to tighten the driveshaft bolts. Luckily he remembered and straightened out the situation but he said this kind of stuff happens all the time in his business. This is precisely why if I dont know how to fix it myself, I find a friend, or farmer who can...because I don't trust mechanics.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by TRunner
As for the the installation of the catalytic converter, I was under the car with him when he did it. It wasn't anything he did.
He was under the truck when the cat was replaced
Old 04-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRunner
I will double check the transfer case as I recall there was no real damage to it, but it was a bit oily.

It should be bone dry. If there is oil on it (not road grime) then you have a problem. Hopefully its just a worn seal or loose pinion nut.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Was it the front driveshaft or the rear driveshaft? We are parting out a 90 runner with auto, rear drive shaft $50 (plus shipping from Seattle). Not sure if yours is the same.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rngrchad
because I don't trust mechanics.
I don't either which is why I was under the vehicle when the catalytic converter was cut out and welded in. He never even touched my drive axle let alone picked up a wrench. Plus, the U-Joint is down right shattered, and I had to remove all the bolts to take out the old driveshaft and they were all very snug. This was probably due to the fact it has 200,000 miles on it. I'm just surprised that there wasn't more of a warning. Those things usually squek and cause some good vibrations. I had a bit of vibrations, but nothing that raised a red flag for me, of course the red flag is a little more fine tuned this next time around.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam F
It should be bone dry. If there is oil on it (not road grime) then you have a problem. Hopefully its just a worn seal or loose pinion nut.
It is in good shape and actually could not have been hit by my drive axle, as it would not reach. The oil looking stuff was from the U-Joint that exploded, so all should be well.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How often did you grease your u-joints? Maybe the bearings seized up.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yoda
Was it the front driveshaft or the rear driveshaft? We are parting out a 90 runner with auto, rear drive shaft $50 (plus shipping from Seattle). Not sure if yours is the same.
Thanks, but I got the drive axle already...
Old 04-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Banned

Update

I got the used axle for $150 here locally and bolted it in. It worked perfect. The only problem that still remains is a weep that started from the oil seal in the front of the differential. I left my truck at home today and barrowed a car for the day. I will pick up the seal and put it in tonight, but I thin all is well beside that. It didn't even feel to be out of alignment, but I will probably be getting that done anyways.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mt_goat
How often did you grease your u-joints? Maybe the bearings seized up.
It was supposed to have been done often by the old place that I used to take it to get my oil changed. That place turned out bad for more then one reason, but it seems this is just another problem they caused me. I also think they probably caused my engine to die. None the less, there is no place out there I will ever trust to do my maintenance ever again unsupervised. I would rather get my hand dirty anyways...

Quick Reply: Dropped Drive Axle doing 70!!