Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Do-It-Yourself Bedliners

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do-It-Yourself Bedliners

My roommate wants to use a roll-on bedliner inside his show/go 4Runner. It's his weekend warrior that doesn't see a lot of foot-traffic. He's really interested in getting something durable, and most importantly, something that won't fade. It'll be inside the vehicle, which spends over half it's life in the garage.

Any tips, or advise on types you've used? Types to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 AM

I used duplicolor on my bed. It was inexpensive compared to LineX and Rhino liner which was quoted around $400.
It was easy to do and inexpensive but none of the DIY bedliners compare to the quality of the proffesional spray in jobs. Also, I have yet to see any bedliner that didnt fade. Although you freind keeps the truck in the garage and the bedliner will be in the interior it should slow down the fading process. Check out Durabak. It looks like it might be better than the stuff you get at the stores.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:42 PM

Can they spray the inside of a vehicle?
Old 10-02-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TurboSE
Can they spray the inside of a vehicle?
Yes they can....it's just alot of taping stuff off. Eventually I'd like to get a Jeep Rubicon as a weekend vehicle....the first thing I'm doing is getting the interior Line-X'd. I know, I know.....a jeep's not a toyota, but I used to have one and they are pretty good vehicles when they don't rust. I think the price to line-x the interior of a jeep is around $600.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM

my friend got the interiot of his jeep sprayed for around 600 bucks so that sounds about right. Although i hear it really ways your vehicle down.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yep, I've had a couple of friends spray line they jeeps also...it seemed to work really well. I've checked on this because I plan on lining my 4runner and I think I'm going to try the herculiner. I've heard pretty good things about it.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:07 PM

I did a Herculiner bedliner in the back of my pickup and I'm very happy with it.

For a 6 foot bed they recommend 1 gallon. I did this plus an extra quart in the high wear areas. The quality of your prep work will determine how well it comes out. I used a wire brush on the end of a corded power drill and really scuffed the paint up. My total expense was under $150 (including the jeans I ruined with the second coat). Since I did this I've had people I know and strangers ask me about it. All agree it looks really good.

Herculiner is polyurethane with rubber chunks just like the commercial liners. Do a web search and you'll find lots of how to sites.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 AM

I recently had my bed Line-X'd. I used the DupliColor stuff on the front-most part, of the front clip. Kinda like where a bug-deflector would go, and then some down the sides to match. I travel a lot and chips were getting to me from everywhere. I like it. Came out really nice. It was a little less...abbrasive then I expected. But, it came out nice. Easy job. The hard part was masking. My bed doesn't see a whole ton of use, but after the front end, I decided I'd rather have the professional stuff in the back.

--Adam
Old 11-27-2004, 08:12 PM

professional? you can get bedliner in the interior of your rig professionally? i always thought that was something you did yourself. what kind of shop would put bedliner all over the interior of your truck?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Banned

all the shops that spray on liners will spray them on whenever you want them... its really not an issue, other than labor cost and materials
Old 11-30-2004, 07:52 PM

will they even spray them like... all over the interior??? my interior is thrased and i'm thinking about just covering it in bed liner so it will at least look half way decent and more importantly will be much more durable and easier to clean when i take the top off my runner and go mud bogging with no roof. can they make it look nice too? i mean, i wouldn't want them to just spray it over all the fabric. would they remove all the fabric and carpet etc and spray it on and make it look nice? and where might i find a shop such as this? thanks man you rule!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Banned

any of them do it... i would personally gut your truck befroe you take it in though.... or else you will be paying a lot mroe for them to do it
Old 12-01-2004, 06:49 AM

Herculiner can be sprayed by an individual. I sprayed my Ford F-250. There are directions on the Herculiner website on how to spray using a "undercoating spray gun".
The finish ended up with a texture line LineX, but the feel of a Rhino liner.

Last edited by Fenderrookie; 12-01-2004 at 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to bring up an old thread but im about to do some bed liner on some parts on the 4runner... but for the parts on the exterior (bumpers etc...) does anyone know how to keep them from fading? if theres even a way. or when they fade is there any way to bring the original color back?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 AM

My buddy has rhino liner in the bed of his dodge. He said that the shop that did his bed sells a restorer that makes it look brand new. I think they even had a little demonstration peice in the shop.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 AM

RHINO LINERS SUCK - that's why they sell a "restorer" coating that must be sprayed on every couple years. They chalk up (turn grey/ white in areas).

I'd stay away from Herculiner too unless you don't mind it's appearance in a year. A new friend of mine did his Scout interior w/ this crap & claimed he did tons of prep - 80 grit & cleaned w/ Lacquer thinner - & it still flaked off in some areas. It's too brittle & if the sheet metal beneath the liner flexes or gets dented it'll flake off instantly.

The only liners I've seen that don't fade are Line X & Speedliner - I personally spray Speedliner part time @ my Dad's shop & we have black liners that are going on 7-8 years w/ no fading & they sit in the weather 365 days/year....

As for spraying interior floors it can be done - takes alot of time to prep & mask. Is sort of a PITA to remove the mask too. As for door panels/ interior panels I've never done them yet, but I've done 4 wheeler plastic with awesome results. This guy I've done this for runs in the GNCC events here in the Midwest & his parts look good as new after a good power wash after each race! Speedliner has a special primer that is applied to "etch" into the surface....

We also do custom color matching like no other company does that I know of. Recently did a Prowler Orange pearl & a Closeon Blue (vette blue) pearl w/ killer results. These were show only trucks & the owners were amazed at the results.

Ok, I'll step off my soap box now.... haha....
Old 03-31-2005, 10:43 AM

And if you guys still insist on doing it yourself w/ Herculiner or Duplicolor (hey I understand $$ can be tight sometimes) use MEK or Methal Ethel Ketone to clean the surface instead of lacquer thinner...it works much, much better....
Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fnrunner
RHINO LINERS SUCK - that's why they sell a "restorer" coating that must be sprayed on every couple years. They chalk up (turn grey/ white in areas).
Sounds like you might be a Line-X dealer or something. Let's dispel some myths that you've so eloquently "presented" to the rest of the class.

First of all, Rhino is the originator of the sprayed on liner. So, they know a thing or two about the process. Second, they use a patented mixture which is far more flexible than the Line-X material (truck beds flex and expand and contract with changing temperatures). Third, the claim that they "chalk up" and "turn white in areas" all has to do with how the liner is treated. Just like a Mercedes paint job, if you thrash it and never wash it, it will fade - no matter how good the initial application is. Fourth, this "restorer coating" that you are talking about is a non-skid spray/shine, used to bring the luster back in an abused bed; not to restore this "chalk" and "grey/white" color change that you presented with no supporting evidence. Fifth, Rhino Lining provides the owner with a warranty for as long as they own the vehicle. That would include non-abuse related defects in the material such as "chalking" or turning white - which I have never seen unless someone spilled paint on their liner. Sixth, I have personally scraped about 15 Line-X liners out of trucks so they could get Rhino put in. Not fun. In fact, we would charge almost $600 to scrape and spray a truck.

Now for parts such as bumpers and rocker panels, I like Line-X. Reason being is that it is a thin application and the texture is fine. Oh, and they are cheaper.

Regarding interiors
Yes, you can spray the inside of a vehicle. Not plastic panels or anything, but painted or bare metal with the proper prep work. We did a number of interiors on Jeeps and LC's with Rhino. Even some truck cabs and old military vehicles. Those ran about $350 back in 98, and that was if the vehicle was pre-prepped and clean.

*Disclaimer* I no longer work for Rhino, nor do I have any reason to defend them. However, I can't stand when people blast a well-established organization with no solid evidence of stated failures in the process.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Sounds like you might be a Line-X dealer or something. Let's dispel some myths that you've so eloquently "presented" to the rest of the class.
Uhh, if you'd have read a little more carefully you'd see I spray SpeedLiner, not Line X.

FIRST, I didn't come in here to start something. SECOND, don't get your panties all in a bunch...we're all entitled to opinions here. THIRD, who cares if Rhino was the originator -alot of products have been superseded by their predecessors. It's a fact of life....

The chaulking I've seen was only on black rhino liners & although it wasn't an epidemic kind of thing, I only saw 2. & after they went back & got the "restorer" sprayed they looked all shiny & new again. Maybe it was the installer & not the product- how the hell would I know??!! All I know is what I saw & that's all the evidence I need. PERIOD. These guys came to us looking for a new liner & before I started grinding out the Rhino, I told them to go back to the installer to try & resolve the issue first. If that didn't work out, then we'd have gone from there.

All in all, my initial reason for posting to this thread was to help support "professionally" installed liners (whatever the brand) since they are far superior to the d.i.y. kind - just trying to help fellow truck enthusiasts make well informed decisions before spending their hard earned dough.

And again about plastic - it can be SPEEDLINED......

Old 03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

I wear boxer briefs ...anyway, go back and read the first line of your post again. "RHINO LINERS SUCK" - I was just waiting for the punch line or some sort of supporting evidence...something. But I got nothing. And now you tell me that you saw 2 in that condition? I just don't see the point of making a hasty generalization of this nature unless there is something in it for you - like increased "Speedliner" business maybe

How about talking more about the positives of "your" product instead of bashing Rhino for no reason? I have never heard of spraying plastic, so why don't you start there or give me a link. I really want to see how it works.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-31-2005 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Do-It-Yourself Bedliners