Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Chrome Polish and Stock Wheel Cleaner

Old 08-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Polish and Stock Wheel Cleaner

I am looking for a good chrome polish (liquid or wipes) that would sort of bring back the extreme shine the bumpers and mirrors and stuff used to have...any ideas on that?

And also, what is the best wheel cleaner you all have found for the stock Yota Rims???

Thanks guys!

Old 08-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could try claying your bumpers. It will get all the sediment off them. I use regular car wax on them and it seems to do a good job.

As for wheels, I just use the soap in the bucket after I wash the truck.

Old 08-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Chris, if you have the factory alloys, they are clear coated, and you really are not suppose to put polish on them, you will strip off the clear coat.

I prefer non clear coated wheels for this reason.
Clear coat yellows over time.

My non coated Centerline aluminum wheels will shine & blind ya when they are polished.
Going to polish them tomorrow with the new Griot's mag wheel polish I just got.

You can strip off your clear coat if you want to, and make them look better than new, but it's a lot of work.
Here's a good write-up by member paddlenbike on how to make 'em really shine.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

I have been using the Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner and it made them SHINE! Will that harm the clear coat? I hope not...how will I know if it did. All I know is there isn't anything on there except for the nice bright aluminum shine!!

Old 08-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If they are the factory SR5 wheels like on Ken's page I posted the URL to, then you are just cleaning up the clear coat on them to shine them.

A uncoated alloy wheel like mine will turn your rag black from the aluminums oxidation coming off on the rag.

I went through one washcloth cut in half today use both sections, and they were pitch black from all the oxy coming off of my wheels.

The clear coated wheels will not turn your rag black, as you are not really shining the alloys surface.

The stuff you are using should say on the bottle if it's safe for clear coats or not.
The stuff I just got from Griot's is not safe, it will eat through the clear coat if left on long enough.

See this thread and compare the two pics in my last reply there.

Generally with a clear coated wheel you only have to wash it with soap & water, but if the clear coat is yellowing or peeling, not much you can do except to strip it off like in Ken's write-up.

I bet you could strip it off and just hand polish them to make them look better than new again.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

To be quite honest, my wheels look INCREDIBLE after I use the Turtle Wax. It got rid of all the brake dust and stuff on there.

I can't see ANY sign of the clear coat coming off, yet. If I start to see areas that are getting warn down then I will try and strip it off and hand polish them.

Thanks once again Corey, you have helped me out a great deal!