Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the motor he had was a pre fancy ecu type.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
This has peaked my interest...
So how tweakable is the 1.9 with an Mechanical Pump. I realize this is pricey for a 4BT modded pump, but the fact that it is less electrical has me aiming fopr a swap like this.
For those that know...
Could one start with a mechanical TDI, and ad the electrics(ECU) later, if one found that the M-TDI wasn't strong enough?
Another note...
Is it just me or does the VW TDI seem like the most amazing engine built? (Sarcastic) I read alot, and most everything is very positive about this little powerhouse. I guess i am still a little skeptical about the feel(power delivery), fuel economy and relatively small size of what this engine is capapble of. I am only refering to this engine being transplanted, I'm not refering to the diesel lump in the factory vehicle it was intended for. This skepticism is only because i wwant to do an engine swap, but only want to do it once...not regret the one i swap in.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 AM

I think this motor is too small for these trucks if they are going to be used for anything but driving on the pavement in a flat area. In the Jettas and such and small vehicles they aren't going to be using all the power they make very often, but to be pushing our trucks around they will be using most of the power they make alot of the time. They are not an industrial motor and are not meant to be used like one. I have the 1kz-te but its not giving me the mileage I was hoping for. Only 24US mpg right now cruising at 60mph.

Even with the motor modded up with the electronics on it I'd be worried about keeping it nice and cool. When the motor is making that power it is making lots of heat too.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 82yota
I think this motor is too small for these trucks if they are going to be used for anything but driving on the pavement in a flat area. In the Jettas and such and small vehicles they aren't going to be using all the power they make very often, but to be pushing our trucks around they will be using most of the power they make alot of the time. They are not an industrial motor and are not meant to be used like one. I have the 1kz-te but its not giving me the mileage I was hoping for. Only 24US mpg right now cruising at 60mph.

Even with the motor modded up with the electronics on it I'd be worried about keeping it nice and cool. When the motor is making that power it is making lots of heat too.
Actually if you wiki vw diesel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...diesel_engines and scroll down to the four cyl. engines you can see that various versions of the 1.9 are used in industrial applications, maritime application, and even small trucks. You just need to remember that a diesel, any diesel, does not drive like a gas engine and you need to allow for that. Yes the 1.9 is small and would be working hard but not anything outside of it's capability.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

How hard would it be to put the 3vzfe in the 4runner (92) I see the power is substantialy better than the 3vze... fe has 185-200 hp and a bit over 200ft lb... anyone?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by DIRT CLOD
How hard would it be to put the 3vzfe in the 4runner (92) I see the power is substantialy better than the 3vze... fe has 185-200 hp and a bit over 200ft lb... anyone?
Still with the same problems of the 3vz, I think. The 3.4 5vz-fe is the way to go if your going to put an other v-6. Bullet proof and a lot more power, and I heard it bolts in pretty easy. I think it bolts right up to your 3vz bell housing. I have found a company that sells bolt in kits, this includes the wiring, bolt in, plug and play. As I don't have the funds to slap a 4bt in mine right now, I think I am just going to drop one of these in and keep on trucking.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

The fe is configured as a fwd so far as I know I don't know if the block can be adapted for rwd.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned

I was having that as my next question...lol...can I fab the trnsverse to longitudinal....prolly more difficult than worthy...
next question is about the 2azfe out of the highlander (newer) I can score the motor and trans really cheap and its a 80k motor running... according to wiki... its around 160 hp 150 ftlb... easily fab for boost supposedly.
Now Hunter is talking about the plug and -play kit for the 3.4...hmmm... only I cannot find a 3.4 at any reasonable price but sure does sound easiest.
I have a couple other threads going on things my 3.slug is having issues with, mostly I am certain vacuum related...(fingers crossed) but there is now ALOT of valve noise, sounds alot like when the valves start floating and rattling at excessive temperature, but the temp is in the norm... its getting to the point that i miss the acceleration of even the slug...lol
Old 05-14-2011, 01:40 PM

I was reading this thread and thought these links may be useful to some of you...

There's a few more swaps if you keep looking

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=176999

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=292227

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=317802

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=304345

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307050
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
u can use a 3vzfe to swap with a 3.4 upper intake so it points the right way. forged crank in there too
Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 82yota

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but I just have to chime in and correct some misinformation....these engines are plenty big for these trucks and i have absolutely no issues keeping mine cool (96' taco TDI)...as a matter a'fact when the T stat was flaky it had a hard time coming to full operating temp in the summer!!...my truck runs 3:59 gears with 265 tires and with stock tune it would still get up and go and still get high twenties FE...
right now with a tune it slips a 1600lb trail gear clutch with ease....i didn't read the OP's entire thread but if he was overheating and had lack of power something else was amiss in his setup.... also wanted to add that when I cruise between 45 and 60 mph I can knock down 35mpg....this truck has been anvil reliable and i've put over 17k miles since I drove it out of shop in march of '11.... here's my build thread ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293577 ...and just to remind all the doubters...the VW amarok truck is a 2.0 TDI that weighs in @ almost 4,500lbs unloaded!

Last edited by jimbote; 05-29-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM

you can put the fe in a toyota pickup... the biggest problem being that they are so hard to find. I do believe that they have almost exactly the same bolt pattern. I would really go with a 5vze if you want more power. anyway. hunter could you possibly give me a parts list for this build? I'm trying to get a general idea to how much this will cost. thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to sell my 3vze with 6,000 miles on it and do this swap or keep the 3vze and keep getting 10mpg.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 AM
RBX

Hey Jimbote, welcome to yotatech...love your truck.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Inter cooler mount

Can you post a picture of where you mounted your intercooler please I'm doing the swap here pretty soon and how did you plum the cooling system I'm using the Toyota radiator and was curious how it all works
Old 05-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Power steering

And how did you adapt the power steering to the vw engine?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 PM

Can someone help me explain how the VW 1.9 TDi became a choice of engine for a repower in surf/hilux/tocoma/4runner....etc etc ?

what i can see

pros: its small and lite
it has ok power and can be boosted with stock turbo keeping cost down
it is easy to work on so I heard

Cons for me: front wheel drive hard to set up engine mounts to look tidy
might cost more than its worth to get good power out to do a good skid/tow/climb sand dune etc etc
not that cheap to get/buy
adapter kit cost more than the motor in my country.....not worth it for me in New Zealand

Are there any Rear wheel drive small motors like these??? id prefer a manual injector pump no more then 5 cylinder as the OM606 etc is abit long and and you cant use manual fan

Last edited by Buzzliteyear; 08-14-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-30-2016, 12:33 AM

Ok i havent read thru all 7 pages, but im considering this swap.. so u have converted a 1.9tdi into a RWD truck? Im planning exactly the same, I have a w series 5 spd manual with close ratio's (perfect for a diesel imo), and many 1.9 tdis to choose form around here (tons of vw / audis) - and I want to put this into a 4x4 truck, the power and economy of these is great.

Did the motor u have come with mounts to install it longitudinal? and I assume u just flipped the motor, installed the clutch and adapter? On the pump did u convert to mechanical? Im sure non elec injectors are needed for this, or can u run these tdis on a minimal harness?

also curious - what mpg are you getting highway and what speeds can u maintain on a moderate climb unloaded?

thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 AM

I dont think anyone knows anything about these motors and why even choose them......ive had no reply in 6 weeks
Old 09-30-2016, 05:53 AM
RBX

The VW diesel swap is mainly for the USA, since we do not get diesel trucks here we do not have many alternatives for a diesel swap....thats why I bought a 1KD from Aussie land.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:03 AM

Great Swap!!! I love these 1.9 diesel Im swapping them into 2d Gen Xterras. great little powerful and efficient engine. I tow stuff all the time. 7500lbs pulling a camper to Virginia beach and back. I have a mechanical pump to but also had it running with an electric and will probley go back. These pumps are easy to swap out with you have the engine facing the correct direction.

Quick Reply: VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck