Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunter, from my work on my TDI cars, diesel timing does matter, some at least. With the computer versions there is a timing window which needs to be mechanically set (similar to the 22RE you turn the computer off and just set the timing mechanically). Then in normal operations the ECU will vary the actual timing as it sees fit. Similar base timing setting for the manual VW diesels too.

However there are some very definite effects to having that static timing too advanced or retarded (even if it is within the spec range). More advanced and you get better cold starts, a bit better mileage and power, but runs hotter and is harder mechanically on the engine. Too retarded and starting and power suffer. These are general things, but they do seem to make a difference. I can tell you that my tdi started alot better in the cold after the tbelt job when I move the base timing to almost the advance limit.

I'm sure anything in the spec range will get you going, but you may want to do some experimenting with the timing values, especially as power goes, to see what effects you can get.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=25308.45

same project different truck
Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Interesting project, that guys is running a lot of boost.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM

So, got the injector pump in the mail today, and timing is not totally static, there is a cable actuated adjustment that allows you to advance the injector, from my research this is to help start the engine when it is cold. A few small tasks left and I will be dieseling around Austin this week if all goes well.

Last edited by hunter 4321; 01-24-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:59 AM

im excited to hear how it turns out, im thinking of doing the same thing you are but am going to use a 4bt pump base to start with cause i have on in the shop, yours will be a sweet little truck listen to that turbo sing all day long
Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM

This truck is officialy *mod edit* awsome, I got it all hooked up, well almost, enough to drive it around the block and test the power out on some hills. This swap is awesome, starts right up, steering lightened way up, I have plenty of power from the larger120 amp alternator.
As suspected the stock injector and boost setting have this thing tuned down to much to spin my 33" tires with stock gearing up a decent hill, so I have ordered .216 nozzles and will be raising the boost from 8psi to the range of 10-15psi and go from there. If that's not enough I can go up a couple of sizes on the pump size and up one mores injector nozzle size. I can also go up a size on the turbo and pump a bit more air in there to help out also. They said I would see a significant improvement in power going from stock nozzles to the .216 nozzles. Though in 4L this thing creeps like crazy right now, no hesitation whatsoever at any point with all the low end torque.
I have a coolant leak to fix had a clamp strip out and oil leak from the turbo return line, but besides that just need to clean up the wiring and put the interior back in. I'll try to get some more pics up soon of the almost complete project.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 02-05-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

sounds like a great job hunter...
considering doing one of these down the road...
Love the amt. of room in the engine bay... you could do a custom rad mount and set the intercooler in front of the rad and still have a stock appearance.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
sounds like a great job hunter...
considering doing one of these down the road...
Love the amt. of room in the engine bay... you could do a custom rad mount and set the intercooler in front of the rad and still have a stock appearance.
Yeah, but there is not much stock looking about my truck at all on the outside now, not a Toyota symbol left on the outside.
But yeah, there is plenty of room, you could hide the intercooler in there some where, but I think you want to be sure that the intercooler to be in the very front, so as to not get any heat from the a/c condenser coils.
The way it is now, I have plenty of room to work on the front end of the engine, also I can pull the engine about fifteen minuets as I don't have to remove a radiator or fan, have plenty of room for the engine to move forwards off the transmission.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Tha/c condenser could sit up top and the intercooler below... you might also switch to a dif. a/c condensor to give you more room for this stacked set-up. a narrow intercooler would help too.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Steve777
Hunter

Looks good.

Question for you, what do you think about moving the tranny & tdi forward a few inches (moving the rear tranny mount and longer/shorter driveshafts)? I'm guessing that you did not do this.

I was just curious as some others (on the VW forums) had suggested doing this for better clearance for the engine. Wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks
he is using r150 tranny with turbo bell, its a couple incehes longer into the engine compartment than the 4cyl trans
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM

That is the difference, and what a big difference it is from the picture of the other peoples swaps, and a stronger tranny as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sub'd for reference
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM

sub'd Awesome project!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 PM

fixed one leak and found two more, forgot a crush washer for the power steering pump and found an other small coolant leak.
Also hooked up my manual boost control today and saw what the stock injectors had in them. Gained a significant amount of power with the boost topping off at 14psi. Can't wait to see what those .216 injectors and the K4 turbo will do in the next month.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

What kind of pyro readings are you getting with the boost cranked that high?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:15 AM

Barely over seven hundred degrees.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds nice and cool but than again I'm used to dealing with 1300-1500 in the AC engines.. only have to worry about going over 1575...

Last edited by aviator; 02-05-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 AM

barely over 700, you can probably get away with dumping in a little more fuel, might be hard to tune with a mechanical controlled vnt, didnt you say you were putting a different turbo on it, is the new one fixed or vnt?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Yeah, new turbo next month, I think I have plenty of room for more fuel with the temp I am getting. Some turners have some numbers that are way up there, and they claim no issues with the high EGTs they are getting.
I messed with the max fuel adjustment screw and got it turned up all the way right now. I have the engine maxed out right now, and it starts and runs good and solid. It was in the twenties the last couple of days and, no problem instantly starting.
I have the K3 turbo and will be getting the K4, not to interested in the vnt, I'm going as basic as possible on this thing and that's a lot more moving parts to break.
I want to figure out a mechanical fuel shut off so I could run this thing without electricity.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

So, the new .216 injectors showed up in the mail today, what a difference those made. This thing is definitely street-able now, though I'm still going to add the kkkk turbo and the 11mm or 12mm pump also. After the engine was good and warmed up it started to pull pretty good, though I'm sure I will be totally satisfied when those other 2 upgrades are done, if not I'm going for the next size injectors and call it done.
I'm down to one leak now, just need to get some a little rtv to make sure that valve cover makes a great seal and have all the leaks fixed.

Quick Reply: VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck