Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck

Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hunter all you need is this on the front of your rig a Taro grill:
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I am going to cut my grill out and put the 28" intercooler in it's place and put the TDI badge on the tail gate.

Last edited by hunter 4321; 11-29-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Got slowed down with turkey day and upcoming final exams, but I am getting closer to getting this engine fired up on the engine stand. I have finished removing the EGR from the intake manifold and have been working on removing the plaque that has built up from EGR diesel soot, I still can't believe how much has come out of the intake manifold and head. I have almost everything I need headed my way via ups, just need to order the clutch and get pick out a fan. I got a bunch of packages in the mail today, hopefully the rest will come in soon. Today I got my intercooler, pyrometer, boost gauge, manual boost control, and starter. I have also removed the oil pan to work on re-locating the oil pan drain to the rear of the pan, so I can change the oil once the engine is in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0960.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM

I don't know if you are aware, but Acme is planning a new VW-Toyota kit for next spring. One that would mate the VW engine to the V6 3.0l Std Tranny. If you can wait for that kit then it would save you the trouble of picking up the turbo bell housing.

Good luck with the project, I am collecting parts to do a similar one on a Gen1 4runner...
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tried to engineer a remote mount turbo on my 92. The 3vze leaves no room for ANY of the plumbing without major mod.(lm telling you nothing new) or going through the wheel well over the upper cont. arm, and back through, thats icky.

How much more power do you estimate getting from the swap versus the 3.slows weak 150?
awesome project, cant wait!!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Steve777
I don't know if you are aware, but Acme is planning a new VW-Toyota kit for next spring. One that would mate the VW engine to the V6 3.0l Std Tranny. If you can wait for that kit then it would save you the trouble of picking up the turbo bell housing.

Good luck with the project, I am collecting parts to do a similar one on a Gen1 4runner...
Wish I could wait, but already have the needed bell housing and I need to get this thing ready as fast as I can, as it will be my transportation for college.

That kit will come in handy because if I like how this turns out, I realy want to build up a more basic, smaller tire version as my daily driver after I get done with school again.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by DIRT CLOD
subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tried to engineer a remote mount turbo on my 92. The 3vze leaves no room for ANY of the plumbing without major mod.(lm telling you nothing new) or going through the wheel well over the upper cont. arm, and back through, that's icky.

How much more power do you estimate getting from the swap versus the 3.slows weak 150?
awesome project, cant wait!!
Yeah, there's not much room for anything in that engine bay with that 3.0 in there. The engine that I have is supposed to be at 100hp/150ft/lbs. I am going to see how it runs with the stock turbo, and injectors/10mm pump and go from there. I am going to try turning up the fuel flow and turning the boost up a bit and see how that works. Just an injector nozzle change could get me up to 130hp and over 200ft/lbs. I am going to try hard not to tweak this thing up to much until it is not a daily driver, as I usually want to try to go overboard with everything.
The big change will be the at what time in the rpm range that the power is made. Almost all the power will be made at very low rps, right were it is needed in a truck.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:47 AM

pics.. pics..
Old 12-07-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by freddy
pics.. pics..
The pics are coming, I got delayed by final exams and breaking up with my girlfriend, but finals are over and I have my head on strait again, and it's time to wrench on my six week break.
I need to figure out how to get some bigger pics up on this thread, my pics are so big and won't meet the attachment size, I guess I need to find an other site to host my pics, any ideas, I have never had this issue with other forum, because you could upload a lot larger pics. I want you guys to really see this happen, and this little dinky picture don't seem to be cutting it.

Last edited by hunter 4321; 12-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM

use photobucket. then just post the [img]code over here. works perfect for me
Old 12-13-2010, 11:59 AM

So the engine is almost ready, just waiting on the injector pump, timing belt and new water pump to get delivered. I have de-carbonized the intake manifold and the head, added a rear oil pan drain and drilled and taped for the pyrometer sensor. Hopefully I will get a delivery soon, get this engine fired up again with the mechanical pump. Then it will be time to pull the 3vze and get on with the swap.

Last edited by hunter 4321; 12-13-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Does anyone no if this sawp will work with an auto transmission?94 4runner 3.0 v6 auto?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 AM

I have heard of some using the 1.6 to an older auto- but no proof
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what did you use to clean the intake mani? i know i have to do this on my 83 om617 with 459K miles.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM

There are lots of way to clean the intake. I personally clean mine by loading it up with brake parts cleaner then let it sit. I wait about an hour then dump it. Then I will put like 10-15 nuts and bolts or you can use rocks (count them so you get them all out) then spray brake cleaner in then shake the crap out of it. It works pretty well.

Other methods are:

>Heating with a torch
>Ultrasonic cleaner
>Wire brushes
>Screwdriver

Lots of combinations- basically whatever works.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by truckman1966
what did you use to clean the intake mani? i know i have to do this on my 83 om617 with 459K miles.
It was caked on in some places what seemed like almost an inch thick, the intake manifold was almost clogged on the vw engine. I tried soaking it in several solvents such as sea foam, simple green, and a variety of crab and intake cleaners. A combination of these a wire brush a screw driver and a dremel tool, got the intake looking better than new, nice an shiny where I could reach inside.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
very cool i like it. where did you get that pump, who makes it, direct bolt on with lines, did you have to change injectors for mechanical pump from common rail
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 AM

So after a delay from the holidays and vacation and with two weeks left on my winter break from school, I have started hitting it hard, I spent 12 hours in the garage yesterday, that's what it took to get that v-6 out of there. I though some one was joking when they said it took them 9hrs. They really crammed that thing in there and made it really hard to work on, I'm glad it is out now, so I can fab up the engine mounts and get this diesel in there. And hopefully the back ordered part for my mechanical injector pump will come in and i will get a package on my door step soon, doubtful though.
Attached Thumbnails VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_1034.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
very cool i like it. where did you get that pump, who makes it, direct bolt on with lines, did you have to change injectors for mechanical pump from common rail
All you do is replace the injector pump with one that does not have electronic control, that is all that is replaced, you use the same injectors and lines. There are several companies that do the conversion, it looks just like one off of the 1.9 TD AAZ engine.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you turn up the power, (to get it around the power of the 3vz) what kind of gas mileage is going to be expected?

i would LOVE to do a diesel swap on my '92 4runner, with a 1.9 or an OM617, but it would have to be at well over 25mpg's to offset the higher cost of diesel around here.

although, my father has put together a bio-diesel processor in our garage a year ago or so, works GREAT and his '97 Jetta ran GREAT on the stuff, got around 40+ on mileage!!!!

just to let you guys know, the Bio-diesel processor is up for sale (no more diesel's at the house) i'm not sure how much he wants for it, but it comes with EVERYTHING from all the small titration stuff, Methanol, a rolling stand that holds the hot water heater and wash tank, another one that holds the grease, and even comes with two HUGE tote's with A LOT of grease left in them just waiting to be turned into good bio-diesel

PM me for more information if anyone is interested!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck