Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Should I rebuild my engine in my 93 toyota pickup DLX or put a 350 or something else

Old 10-14-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I rebuild my engine in my 93 toyota pickup DLX or put a 350 or something else

I have a 1993 Toyota pickup and I'm at a point where I want to either rebuild the engine with upgrades or possibly put a completely different engine in it I'm just not sure what engine I would want in it or what will run Good with it

Last edited by Flave; 10-14-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What engine is in it? Is there anything wrong with the engine now?
Old 10-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
What engine is in it? Is there anything wrong with the engine now?
I have the 3.0 in it right now and I had that engine put in about 2 years ago because I blew the other engine that was in it but the people who put it in lie to me that it was a good engine. For right now the engines running ok but I do have to do some work on it and the work by itself it only cost me about $1,500 and I'm not sure if I should just do that or rebuild the whole engine or put something else into it
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flave
I have the 3.0 in it right now and I had that engine put in about 2 years ago because I blew the other engine that was in it but the people who put it in lie to me that it was a good engine. For right now the engines running ok but I do have to do some work on it and the work by itself it only cost me about $1,500 and I'm not sure if I should just do that or rebuild the whole engine or put something else into it
What kind of work does it need? If it runs ok 1,500$ worth the work seems steep.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:00 PM

What kind of work does it need? If it runs ok 1,500$ worth the work seems steep.
I need the knock sensor which is about $800 I have a rear main seal leak with another 300 there's a gas leak on my engine somewhere and there's some wires that are not connected completely and I'm not really sure where they go I have tried to connect everything I could from what I learned at my shop but I'm not too familiar with my Toyota and it's engine
Old 10-15-2016, 04:09 PM

I need the knock sensor which is about $800 I have a rear main seal leak with another 300 there's a gas leak on my engine somewhere and there's some wires that are not connected completely and I'm not really sure where they go I have tried to connect everything I could from what I learned at my shop but I'm not too familiar with my Toyota and it's engine
Knock sensors are 285$(at toyota) +a few gaskets. Rear mains are easy if you just take the engine out. Take a picture of the wires. We will help you. BTW If your getting code 52 then it's not always a knock sensor.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:15 PM

Knock sensors are 285$(at toyota) +a few gaskets. Rear mains are easy if you just take the engine out. Take a picture of the wires. We will help you. BTW If your getting code 52 then it's not always a knock sensor.
yea i do get a code 52. But its just i feel like i lose power in second gear. I put a lighter to the fuel injector and it lit up a bit. I wanna put headers and do a bit of mods. I would like to put a 350 v6 vortec in it but im just not sure how much all this would cost
Old 10-15-2016, 07:02 PM

yea i do get a code 52. But its just i feel like i lose power in second gear. I put a lighter to the fuel injector and it lit up a bit. I wanna put headers and do a bit of mods. I would like to put a 350 v6 vortec in it but im just not sure how much all this would cost
I can tell you that a 350 is possible but it's going to be a whole bunch of work and a lot of $$$$$

The vortec v6 fits pretty good..but again. Lots of $$$ and at the end of the day you have a Chevy.
I would recommend a 3.4 Toyota swap. The engine bolts up to the trans and the engine mounts. A little bit of wiring and your set.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:17 PM

I can tell you that a 350 is possible but it's going to be a whole bunch of work and a lot of $$$$$

The vortec v6 fits pretty good..but again. Lots of $$$ and at the end of the day you have a Chevy.
I would recommend a 3.4 Toyota swap. The engine bolts up to the trans and the engine mounts. A little bit of wiring and your set.
yea that's the reason why i wasnt sure. I know the engine i have now has potential to be powerful but i wanted other options. Whats the 3.4 off of. And is that better then rebuilding the 3.0
Old 10-15-2016, 08:39 PM

yea that's the reason why i wasnt sure. I know the engine i have now has potential to be powerful but i wanted other options. Whats the 3.4 off of. And is that better then rebuilding the 3.0
The 3.4 is the better, stronger and faster version of the 3.0. Like I said. It all bolts up.

The 3.4 swap will need a little exhaust work and some wiring. But for the most part you can buy the plug and play for it. The 3.4 is a mass produced engine by Toyota and can be found anywhere. Junk yard, or online.
As soon as my 3.0 blows I'm going with a 3.4 Toyota supercharged
Old 10-16-2016, 10:21 AM

The 3.4 is the better, stronger and faster version of the 3.0. Like I said. It all bolts up.

The 3.4 swap will need a little exhaust work and some wiring. But for the most part you can buy the plug and play for it. The 3.4 is a mass produced engine by Toyota and can be found anywhere. Junk yard, or online.
As soon as my 3.0 blows I'm going with a 3.4 Toyota supercharged
yea thats what im looking for a strong engine that can pull can have some good power. I would like a supercharged as well. Do you recommend me getting a used engine and rebuilding it or buying a new one
Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM

yea thats what im looking for a strong engine that can pull can have some good power. I would like a supercharged as well. Do you recommend me getting a used engine and rebuilding it or buying a new one
It depends on where you are. Here in California it's kind of hard to find a 3.4 in a junk yard. I would recommend finding one used and using it or rebuilding it. Get it dialed in, then supercharge it. You need a bit of a body lift to get the hood to close , but the rest just bolts up to your factory everything. Maybe find one a truck with one being parted of on a craigslist type of site. Buy a parts truck with one. You have a lot of options.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:57 AM

It depends on where you are. Here in California it's kind of hard to find a 3.4 in a junk yard. I would recommend finding one used and using it or rebuilding it. Get it dialed in, then supercharge it. You need a bit of a body lift to get the hood to close , but the rest just bolts up to your factory everything. Maybe find one a truck with one being parted of on a craigslist type of site. Buy a parts truck with one. You have a lot of options.
so i would need a body lift. Cuz i have a 5 inch suspension lift but im not sure how much a body lift is and i really want my truck to run really good
Old 10-16-2016, 01:31 PM

so i would need a body lift. Cuz i have a 5 inch suspension lift but im not sure how much a body lift is and i really want my truck to run really good
yea, it will need an inch or two of body lift. Suspension lift doesn't help the engine compartment. Compare your body mounts to another truck. Or take a picture of your engine compartment and post it....you can tell by just looking at it.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:46 PM

yea, it will need an inch or two of body lift. Suspension lift doesn't help the engine compartment. Compare your body mounts to another truck. Or take a picture of your engine compartment and post it....you can tell by just looking at it.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:00 PM

It looks stock to me. The dead give away is the firewall / coolant hoses hang out like a sore thumb. Look into a fan shroud if you going to be going up hills and towing. The last thing you want to do is over heat that 3.0. Cooler the better.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:02 PM

It looks stock to me. The dead give away is the firewall / coolant hoses hang out like a sore thumb. Look into a fan shroud if you going to be going up hills and towing. The last thing you want to do is over heat that 3.0. Cooler the better.
i have a fan shroud just havent put it on. So my budget is about 3000 and I'm not sure that's enough to get a 3.4 because if it's not I rather just put that money into rebuilding this engine and putting upgrades into it
Old 10-16-2016, 02:07 PM

i have a fan shroud just havent put it on. So my budget is about 3000 and I'm not sure that's enough to get a 3.4 because if it's not I rather just put that money into rebuilding this engine and putting upgrades into it
get that shroud on. If I where you I would run the engine you have until it gives up. Save your money and then do the 3.4

I am a 3.0 fan. I beat the life out of mine and it's never left me stranded. I'm going to do the 3.4 in my other truck, but have no complaints with my 3.0. As long as you keep it cool you will be fine.

No matter how much money you put into the 3.0......it's going to be slow. They are gutless regardless. The 3.4 has the power you want.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:47 PM

get that shroud on. If I where you I would run the engine you have until it gives up. Save your money and then do the 3.4

I am a 3.0 fan. I beat the life out of mine and it's never left me stranded. I'm going to do the 3.4 in my other truck, but have no complaints with my 3.0. As long as you keep it cool you will be fine.

No matter how much money you put into the 3.0......it's going to be slow. They are gutless regardless. The 3.4 has the power you want.
okay then ill just save my money thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 04:46 PM

okay then ill just save my money thanks
Your welcome.