Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Best swap for a an older Toyota truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best swap for a an older Toyota truck

So I have been scouring the internet for information on engine swaps for a 1987 22r. mine has been giving me issues for a while and finally took a dump last night (literally looked like it shat an oil and coolant mixture all over the engine compartment). given my research I have found the following about a few engine conversions

- The 22r is a very reliable engine if maintained correctly (except mine for some reason) So, many people recommend keeping the 22r if at all possible. from my truck, I find the stock 22r is great for mountain/ light 4x4 use but gutless hauling a trailer or at highway speeds.

- The 3vz is one of the more common conversions. in many cases, the existing transmission can be used but some argue that it may be pron to early failure from the much stronger engine. a fair amount of modifications are needed in terms of mounts, wiring, and fluid lines.

- The 5VZ is becoming very popular due to its high power to weight ration and reliability. there exist quite a few bold on induction power upgrade accessories or this engine. But, depending on the age of the truck, their will be significant modifications. such as, a hood scoop for the larger engine, beefier front suspension (some argue the 5VZ is too heavy for a 22r front end), wiring harness, can use a R151(22re-turbo) transmission but needs a bell housing from an V6, the transfer case spline probably wont match, needs a different oil pan, etc...

So, my question is...first of all, are my conclusions above mostly correct? secondly, what is yotatech's collective opinion of the best engine upgrade in terms of light offroad capabilities, towing, fuel efficiency, highway travel, and overall complexity/cost?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3rz ?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 PM

I am also curious about the 3rz 2.7L as well, I just learned of this conversion an hour ago from my local 4x4 shop. but I know nothing about this one other than it is a 4 banger
Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone go from a 22r to the 3.0? I would think most would rather go from a 3.0 to a 22r/re/ret. The 22 series is more reliable and almost as powerful as the 3.0. But if you want to tow/haul or hold 75+ on the freeway I would go 4.3 chevy or the 3.4 Toyota.
The following users liked this post:
TK23 (04-11-2023)
Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM

That's kinda what I though....I heard (today in fact) that the 3.0 will get you a V6 yes, but has a similar powerband as the 22r. maybe I have just been mistaking the 3vz for the 3rz...which makes sense on hindsight...

the 3.4L would be awesome, but seems like way too much work than its worth...except for the "cool" factor of having an 87' with a 3.4L in it.

yeah, what about Chevy and ford blocks? how do they compare on the above criteria?

Anyone ever done a 2.5L Subaru outback engine? my current car while my truck is down is a 97' outback and it has more balls than my brother's 96' 3vz tacoma.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Tacomas don't have 3vz's.. The 3vz is a 3L 6cyl.
The 3RZ is a 2.7L I4.

Google up "Clampy", it's a build from an offroad mag where the put a 2.7 into an 85..

Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 AM

Seems like your not willing and ready to put in any work for an engine swap.

Rebuild your 22re, thats going to be the easiest way to get back on the road.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adam F

+1

Adam F said alot w/o saying alot
Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Adam F

Diddo just rebuild your 22R and you will be just fine you will notice a signifigant change in the seat of the pants feel on a rebuilt engine...this will also be the cheapest option but that still doesn't mean its not going to cost you exspecially depending on your mechanical abilities as far as the more work you can do on your own the more $$$ you will save!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by physisist777
Anyone ever done a 2.5L Subaru outback engine? my current car while my truck is down is a 97' outback and it has more balls than my brother's 96' 3vz tacoma.
Never heard of one. It has more balls because its lighter and designed for a car. Put it in a bigger heavier truck and it wont be fast.

And its a 3RZ not 3VZ
Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM
kev

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try a 22rte. I have one in my 86 4x4 and she has lots of guts for pulling trailers. Just today I bought and pulled home an 86 4 runner. (burned wire harness to motor). my truck did fine pulling its own weight. Used a little boost to get it all up to speed, but once we were crusing along, the turbo would wind down and Vuala.... vaccuum. I recommend a 22rte.........if you can find one!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

here are the ratings for the different engines
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

I also find the 22re engine to be lacking, I have had a 22rte in another 87 I purchased new and pulled a 20 foot boat around New Mexico with only some problems on large hills. Without the trailer, the truck pulled just fine. This was one of the best engine, and trucks I have owned.

If I keep my truck, my plan is an LC engineering
EFI Power Package - 22RE (83-88) (Includes, Header Kit, Camshaft, LC Pro Air Intake Kit & Big Bore Throttle Body)
http://www.lceperformance.com/EFI-Po...-p/1020009.htm

or a turbo or supercharger kit.

the 2.7L looks good on paper, but is it easy to swap or easier than the 3.0L or 3.4L and what does it weight?

Last edited by coops2k; 04-16-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Just did a 22 re swap into my 89 that had a 3.0 v
6 had to fab adapter plates for the motor mounts to bolt up and also swapped interior and exterior working harness, tranny/transfer case drivelines and computer not easy but can be done
Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by physisist777
So I have been scouring the internet for information on engine swaps for a 1987 22r. mine has been giving me issues for a while and finally took a dump last night (literally looked like it shat an oil and coolant mixture all over the engine compartment). given my research I have found the following about a few engine conversions

- The 22r is a very reliable engine if maintained correctly (except mine for some reason) So, many people recommend keeping the 22r if at all possible. from my truck, I find the stock 22r is great for mountain/ light 4x4 use but gutless hauling a trailer or at highway speeds.

- The 3vz is one of the more common conversions. in many cases, the existing transmission can be used but some argue that it may be pron to early failure from the much stronger engine. a fair amount of modifications are needed in terms of mounts, wiring, and fluid lines.

- The 5VZ is becoming very popular due to its high power to weight ration and reliability. there exist quite a few bold on induction power upgrade accessories or this engine. But, depending on the age of the truck, their will be significant modifications. such as, a hood scoop for the larger engine, beefier front suspension (some argue the 5VZ is too heavy for a 22r front end), wiring harness, can use a R151(22re-turbo) transmission but needs a bell housing from an V6, the transfer case spline probably wont match, needs a different oil pan, etc...

So, my question is...first of all, are my conclusions above mostly correct? secondly, what is yotatech's collective opinion of the best engine upgrade in terms of light offroad capabilities, towing, fuel efficiency, highway travel, and overall complexity/cost?

The 22r still seems like the best choice....
Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 PM

.I just purchased a 1980 4x4 long wheel base and I was wondering how hard and how obvious it would be to replace the 20R with a 22RE?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
give it an american heartbeat. preferably a 4.3 V6 tbi. you can build the motor to handle alot of power. just think of the gmc cyclone, thats a turbo charged v6 with forged internals that will blow a built 3.0 and 3.4 out of the water. long story short, the 4.3 is a well built reliable push rod motor that can be modified the same way a small block chevy can minus 2 cylinders and its way more cost effective with probably more satisfactory results.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-29-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Racial slur removed
The following users liked this post:
TK23 (04-11-2023)
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserjim
.I just purchased a 1980 4x4 long wheel base and I was wondering how hard and how obvious it would be to replace the 20R with a 22RE?
well you are going to need a donor truck for the wiring harness, ecu, fuel tank, pump, ect. pretty sure its easier to go from a 22re to a 22r. also would need to get good vacuum diagrams since both have alot of small hoses and are set up differently. check out Lcenginnering.com they are pretty resourceful as far as parts and accessories. check out the threads here too, im sure someone somewhere has done it. whats wrong with the 22r? just want the reliability of fuel injection?
The following 2 users liked this post by gearhead24:
Monkeynts (10-20-2020), TK23 (04-11-2023)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 PM

I did a 3rz in my 87. The swap was easy and well worth it. I get 27mpg on average. Best tank has been 32. I have had it over 100mph but didn't wanna push it too far cause I am on 37's. My only complaint is power with the a/c on and fully loaded going up in the mountains. I plan on tapping in to a charger eventually. For now I will deal with it. I have a k&n intake for a Tacoma and a Borla 2.5 mandrel cat back running a stock cat and manifold. I plan on swapping to a high flow cat and a header before the charger.

Look in to a thread on marlin. Tons of into. I believe it's called 3rd knowledge base or something. Well worth the read. My build has some info and because I don't post here much and am notified of post there you may replay there
Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

im thinkin of 3rz for my truck down the road after im tired of 22rs
Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 PM

annyone have the specs for the 2002 4.7 and the trans that came behind it? Trying to order an atlas

Quick Reply: Best swap for a an older Toyota truck