Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

95 3.0v6 to 91 3.0v6

Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 3.0v6 to 91 3.0v6

I have a 95 Toyota pickup motor blew I bought 91 model motor 3.0 v6 very low miles...I put all new basic parts on it while out plugs,oil pan gasket,rear seal,thermostat, new distributer,wires,timing blet an gears,water pump...it will crank but takes a while,once it does start it runs fine as long as the TPS is not connected.The wiring harness that came with the 91 had three different connectors that plugs into the computer /ecm the brain box,under the dash. I changed that with the one off the 95 engine...Problem is I have no power when I put it into gear,have had it at two shops, 1st shop had no clue,the shop that has it now says its hydro locking,an that the motor isn't going to work,,does anyone have any information on what I should try an do......I have spent lots of money on this an I am still where I began truck ant running......THANKS......
Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 AM

Hydro locking? Coolant in cylinder or cylinders? If that's the case, did they say anything bout possible bent rods?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:53 AM

95 3.0 v6

No .....there's no sign of any of that....it doesn't have any power when put in gear..... I just spoke with him the employee for it wrong he said its vapor locking......Any suggestions.....
Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 AM

Vapor lock occurs when the gas in a fuel line turns from liquid to vapor, before it reaches the engine. The first signs of vapor lock are normally when your engine begins to run roughly. The engine may sputter and hesitate. It will then stall completely and refuse to restart. It may seem like the car is out of gas or the fuel pump has failed. While these are possibilities, vapor lock may be the problem.
The reasons for vapor lock
Fuel will turn to vapor in conditions of high heat and low pressure. If the fuel line to the engine becomes hot, the fuel inside the line becomes hot. Liquid fuel turns into vapor or gas. The fuel pump is not able to move the vaporized fuel and the engine will stall. As long as the vapor remains, it locks out the fuel flow. This is why your engine will not restart until it has cooled down. The problem occurs more often in carbureted engines, especially those with mechanical fuel pumps. These systems create a vacuum that pulls fuel. If the fuel vaporizes, the vacuum will not work.
Vapor lock is not a common problem with fuel-injected engines. Fuel injection systems are normally pressurized, and this pressure helps move the fuel in the system. In addition, mechanical fuels pumps in carbureted engines were often located near the engine, exposing the pump to extra heat. Electric fuel pumps are normally located in or near the gas tank. This location helps the pump and lines avoid overheating.
How to avoid vapor lock
In cars with carbureted engines, the location or style of the fuel pump can be changed. Moving an in-line fuel pump away from the engine may help reduce the heat. Changing from a mechanical to electric fuel pump may also solve the problem. On older vehicles, adding an electric cooling fan, instead of the common mechanical fan, may keep the engine compartment cooler.
For any vehicle that experiences vapor lock problems under hot conditions, adding insulation to the fuel lines may reduce the occurrences. Shields can be installed between the engine and gas line or any other area where heat accumulates. Fuel lines should be insulated from the exhaust manifold.
In some cases with vehicles that use vacuum systems, the fuel cap can be to blame. You can normally have a fuel cap tested at an auto parts store. If the cap is unable to hold pressure, replace it and see if the problem is solved. Sometimes vapor lock can come from the type of fuel you use in your vehicle. Highly volatile fuels, those with high alcohol content, can vaporize at lower temperatures.
If you are experiencing vapor lock on a fuel-injected vehicle with an electric fuel pump, have the pump tested. It may not be producing the required pressure to keep the fuel moving in the line.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by bigbfarm44
I have a 95 Toyota pickup motor blew I bought 91 model motor 3.0 v6 very low miles...I put all new basic parts on it while out plugs,oil pan gasket,rear seal,thermostat, new distributer,..
Are you saying that you put the '95 parts on to the 91 motor?

How did you get the distributor to fit? As they are different.

Are you trying to use the 91 ECM or the 95 model year ECM?

I am in the process of figuring this out myself. As I get it sorted, I'll let you know.. (if I get it sorted, but I am sure someone has accomplished this task)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM

i have the same problem as was first stated on this thread good running 3.0from a 91 toyota pickup going into a 95 4runner any new information on this swap? i have not exchanged the engines as of yet but does it work or what?

Last edited by knottywolf1; 06-22-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:23 AM

Bump. Same question.

Pretty much same question, Can you swap a 95 ( with 95 ecu & harness)
3.0 into a 89 with a 3.0?