Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

'88 22RE swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'88 22RE swap

A couple of weeks ago I bought a motor from BigBluePile and have decided what i'm going to do w/it, and the winner IS!!! my '88 pickup.

This is my DD, i've had it for 6 or 7 years... bought it for $400 w/a cracked head, fixed it, and have been driving it ever since. It's got 225k miles and is starting to get a little tired and deserves a bit of TLC. I abuse and neglect it more than any other rig I own and now it "whiteys" turn for some lovin'. It looks like hell in the pics, cleans up really nice and then one trip down a gravel road and BAM!

My youngest son is of age now and in need of a set of wheels and I just happened across another 4Runner a while back that turned out to be a little rougher than first thought... not thrashed but not as nice as I like for a DD. I'm going to take the engine out of the truck and put it in the 4Runner and give it to him so watch for that swap next and get ready to welcome another YoterHead into the family.

Heading into the shop to start the swap today... shooting for 2 days to complete minus exhaust system... we'll see.

Last edited by Nailit69; 11-27-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM

So I did it... pulled it into the shop and started gettin after it. Nothing too exciting, just basic teardown and removal of anything in the way.

I love doing this stuff and on the rare occasion that my Pop comes out to help... I love it even more. He's gettin up there in years (70) and losing his up close up eyesight and his fine dexterity but can still turn a wrench so he helped me out topside.

It's too bad I can't keep this one in there... it's been a great motor, always started, and after 50k miles... not a drop of oil anywhere underneath although you wouldn't know it from the road grime, the pics make it look twice as nasty as it really is.

It's ready to come out so at daybreak... we'll pull it. Going to pressure wash the engine bay and put her all back together today.

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-01-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 AM

stoopid laptop... double posted

Last edited by Nailit69; 11-28-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 PM

So I thought I was going to have a slam dunk day... wound up spending the day re-wiring my original harness to work w/the injectors that were on the new motor.

Original injector harness from my truck and the new injector harness during surgery... donor parts harvested and ready for transplant.

The sphagetti mess I had to cut apart to harvest said harness...

And the finished product... re-installed.

Originally I figured since these motors were so close in age that this would be plug and play... I was wrong. Big Blue must have needed some of the plugs/partial harness for his swap or I could have used the harness that was on it and it would have been PNP. I had to switch out a couple of other plugs too but turned out to be a piece of cake, a little prior planning made this job pretty easy. I cleaned up the engine bay and front diff with satisfactory results, i've got a couple of loose nuts n bolts, some minor degreasing in the morning and it's ready to drop back in. From what i've seen so far the inside of the engine is super clean, no sludge, no oil leaks, a little dirty on the outside but nothing some orange goop and hot water can't clean.

My next issue/problem is exhaust... any suggestions on which mounting method I should use?

Option #1... I wanted to go w/a ball flange set-up but my local muff shops' "ball flange" guy moved to AZ but they can have the rookie attempt to make me one and I can weld it on myself... $50

Option #2... flange to flange for the same price as the ball flange, why bother?

Option #3... Band clamp and a flared and slit end pipe from the new exhaust?

Anyone have preferred methods for header to exhaust applications???

If anyone needs a slightly molested harness from a ?(first gen 4Runner)? I have one available for freemidiate pickup.

Last edited by Nailit69; 11-29-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Day 3...

Got the motor back in today and everything back together. Don't mind the hillbilly engine hoist... that's how we do it down on the farm.

Buttoning up the frontside

Finally done with the dirty work

It fired up on the second turn of the key, the open header is so loud though I couldn't really hear the engine but it seems to run smooth. No major problems or hurdles besides rewiring for the other injectors. I found a few loose nuts n bolts, 1 in particular behind the flywheel for the "backing plate"? that had been grinding away for a while. I need to re-route my O2 sensor wire from the cab to the engine bay and i'm done... except for that Kawi green wire loom, it clashes with the whole blue/white thing I got going on.

Every swap i've done so far has required me to change A/C mounting brackets, this one was no different. Either the bolt pattern or the pulley alignment has been different from year to year so remember to grab the bracket off of your motor when you're swapping or there'll be a lot of cursing and head scratching.

Everything was re-torqued thanks to the FSM available here at YT, my dad is pretty impressed w/my smartphone and the fact that i'm able to find all this info out and even how-to videos with the touch of a button, he had me so busy googling and youtubing I hardly had time to do any work, isn't technology awesome.

Fill it with antifreeze, set the timing, and it's off to the exhaust shop.

Last edited by Nailit69; 11-30-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Day 4... Back to the salt mines.

Headed back over to the shop this morning to finish the last few things off and fire it up and let it run for more than 15 seconds.

Topped off the radiator and found more looseness, no biggie, a couple of hoses, a fuel line, etc., some more wrenching and I was ready to fire it up for a full warm up, or so I thought...

I started it up and immediately the oil pressure light came on and glowed bright red! My first thought... "I've been taken... scammed!, I bought a POS motor" but after a little checking around and testing it turned out to be a bad pressure sensor, switched it out for a known good unit and my suspisions were confirmed. I need to put a full guage set on and get rid of the idiot lights.

Next, a spark plug wire that wouldn't snap onto the plug and stay and caused some intermittent missing... replaced and sort of solved that problem.

Finally, at least for today... an issue with my o2 sensor. The sensor on the new motor is a single wire unit mounted in the header between #3 & #4 pipes. The one on my truck is a 4 wire heated unit located under the cab about 2' downstream. Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't the easiest solution would be to put another 4 wire unit back in the same location on the new exhaust rather than trying to make something different work?

I'll probably give it a fresh tune-up but i'm pretty pleased with the way it runs, the motor is nice and quiet compared to my old one and purrs like a kitten until you blip the throttle and then it spits and starts stumbling a bit... might have something to do w/timing, plugs/wires or no O2 and no exhaust but i'll tune it up just to be certain.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM

Well after a few days off and no money to fuel my Toyota addiction I decided to build my own exhaust system.

I went down to the parts store and bought some 2.5" bends and a CSI muffler and stopped by a local muffler shop for a custom angle and length that wasn't available at the parts store.

I brought all the pieces home and started mocking it up and marking it out and cutting and trimming, after 4 or 5 hours it was time to start stitching it up. My brother is the welder in the family so a little Vodka and BBQ bribe and he was down to weld it up for me. Had to use the plasma cutter to salvage the O2 perch from the old exhaust, cleaned it up and welded it back in the new system.

I'm super stoked w/how it turned out, clean, straight and strong as hell... I even hung off of it to try and break it, it's not going anywhere. I don't think the muffler shop would've done any better, maybe w/less pieces. I managed to do it w/5 bends and a 4' head pipe. We were able to use all the original hangers in their original locations.

It sounds so awesome... a little loud but has a nice deep throaty growl and when you get on it, it sounds most excellent. I would've taken more pics but forgot my charger.

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-12-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Update... after a couple of weeks w/this exhaust i'm going to have to find something to quiet it down, it's just stupid loud. I'm running a header, 2.5" pipe, no cat, high flow muffler and i'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me.

Engine has weak bottom end power/torque until 1500-1800 rpms (i'm guessing) when it really comes alive and just wants to run fast, it seems to enjoy the higher rpm range. Does anyone know if I need to create a little more back pressure in the system to pick up some bottom end?

I also have a Supra AFM which is quite a bit bigger than stock that I need to get installed, how will this affect it? The motor has the LCE big bore throttle body installed on it now w/the stock AFM, anyone running a similar setup have any tuning tips? Who's the engine guru around here?

This motor/setup would have probably been more at home in a 2wd built to haul a$$.

Last edited by Nailit69; 01-07-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 AM

So... been super busy with my new job, been a few weeks since i've been able to find time to check out YT, work on my rigs, or do anything else for that matter.

My oldest kid sold his Jeep and was in need of a new set of wheels and I told him if he wanted to throw some $$$ at the white truck to fix it, i'd sell it to him CHEAP and he bought it... more like stole it. Thinking the worst, we were ready to go all in and replace major parts if necessary but he walked away only spending $200 in brake parts, some brake cleaner, some WD40, and a 12 pack of beer.

We took a little time to troubleshoot the engine problem I was having with the new motor I bought from BigBluePile and after chasing down every possible culprit we narrowed it down to the injectors. We swapped out for the stock ones that were in it originally and it runs perfectly now. Compression checks were 180 on all four holes so motor seems tight, purrs like a kitten, and runs like a champ... I still think the exhaust is too loud but it's not my problem anymore and he loves it. We also put all new brakes, calipers, and rotors on the front for years of trouble free service.

We had to bootleg an injector harness in but just piggybacked it on the original harness so it can be removed easily when the injectors come back from the cleaners. When I go down for his wedding in May, we'll put the injectors back in, put the Supra AFM in, and a cold air setup on it... then he can take it to get dialed in.

It was nice to get it running right and drive it one last time before it was gone for good, can't wait to see how it does with the injectors and intake on it. It's a great running motor and now it'll do 70+ on the freeway all day long, super happy w/the motor... Thx BBP!

He's lurking around here somewhere so i'm sure i'll see more of my old truck on YT.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:08 PM

what happened to the 4runner?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Nailit69
So... been super busy with my new job, been a few weeks since i've been able to find time to check out YT, work on my rigs, or do anything else for that matter.

My oldest kid sold his Jeep and was in need of a new set of wheels and I told him if he wanted to throw some $$$ at the white truck to fix it, i'd sell it to him CHEAP and he bought it... more like stole it. Thinking the worst, we were ready to go all in and replace major parts if necessary but he walked away only spending $200 in brake parts, some brake cleaner, some WD40, and a 12 pack of beer.

We took a little time to troubleshoot the engine problem I was having with the new motor I bought from BigBluePile and after chasing down every possible culprit we narrowed it down to the injectors. We swapped out for the stock ones that were in it originally and it runs perfectly now. Compression checks were 180 on all four holes so motor seems tight, purrs like a kitten, and runs like a champ... I still think the exhaust is too loud but it's not my problem anymore and he loves it. We also put all new brakes, calipers, and rotors on the front for years of trouble free service.

We had to bootleg an injector harness in but just piggybacked it on the original harness so it can be removed easily when the injectors come back from the cleaners. When I go down for his wedding in May, we'll put the injectors back in, put the Supra AFM in, and a cold air setup on it... then he can take it to get dialed in.

It was nice to get it running right and drive it one last time before it was gone for good, can't wait to see how it does with the injectors and intake on it. It's a great running motor and now it'll do 70+ on the freeway all day long, super happy w/the motor... Thx BBP!

He's lurking around here somewhere so i'm sure i'll see more of my old truck on YT.
Holy crap on a cracker. Some how I never saw this thread!!!!

Glad the motor worked out! I loved that motor! Any updates?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:33 AM

The truck is still around... it's changed hands again but still "in the family". The motor is still running great, the exhaust is still loud as hell.

The kid that has it now is in the process of a pretty extensive rebuild/restoration of the old girl and it's been at least a year since i've seen it. He's in the military so he only has a chance to work on it when he's home on leave.

Last time I saw it he had just installed a new interior, new wheels and tires, 2" lift on the front, removed a leaf in the rear to soften it up and level it out, LED lighting, bumpin stereo, and tons of other goodies.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Awesome! Good to hear!!!!