Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

7mgte Worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7mgte Worth the effort?

Hello everyone, I am in the process of building a 85xtracab. I have acquired from my buddy all his 91 supra parts. 2 7mgte's and 1 7mge. and basically a pick up truck full of under hood parts left over from his 2jz swap. This looks like a big heavy motor and I am wondering if its worth my time. I want to hear from guys that have this motor. Will my 5.29's have the boost way up on the highway with 35's? premium fuel on a daily driver? Will the w56 even hold up? Advise is much appreciated.

Last edited by TOYROX; 01-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM

This guy thinks so!
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...e-swap-255991/
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TOYROX
Hello everyone, I am in the process of building a 85xtracab. I have acquired from my buddy all his 91 supra parts. 2 7mgte's and 1 7mge. and basically a pick up truck full of under hood parts left over from his 2jz swap. This looks like a big heavy motor and I am wondering if its worth my time. I want to hear from guys that have this motor. Will my 5.29's have the boost way up on the highway with 35's? premium fuel on a daily driver? Will the w56 even hold up? Advise is much appreciated.
I'd say it's worth it being that it's the easiest and probably cheapest swap there is if you currently have a 22RE. Pulling up steep hills on the road is no longer an issue but it's still no 0-60 monster. There are definitely some space issues with the swap as the motor is pretty long. The radiator support pretty much has to get cut out and intercooler placement is tricky if you decide to run one. Some people replace the stock fuel pump but I've found is perfectly adequete on a stock 7M.

I'm currently running 5.13s and 37" MTRs on the stock W56 and its holding up so far. My motor is currently stock and I've been babying it so it should last awhile. Avoid pulling hills in 5th gear as it seems to be the weak link as some others have mentioned. The gears are definitely short and I'm typically in 5th gear by 40-45 MPH when I drive normally. I would imagine you would be in the same boat, if not more. Anything over about 50 and I'm always in boost.

As far as reliability, it is a turbo motor so it may require more maintenance. Some off camber oiling issues have been noted with the 7M's in general but it's not a problem if you take the right precautions. A MLS headgasket and ARP headstuds properly torqued beyond the original Toyota specifications are a must, they are know for blowing in stock form. Some overheating issues are mentioned but its pretty cool where I live right now so the Volvo radiator I'm using has worked for the time being.

There has been a ton of info on the site about this swap over the last couple of months, quite a few people were doing it at the same time.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM

It would not be my motor of choice for a swap, but if you have access to the parts allready then by all means do it. Personaly to me its more of a car motor than a truck motor, but thats just me.

I have a friend with a highly modified yota that must weigh 5k lbs now and his 7mgte moves that truck very well up in the sierras. Of course he's had numerous issues with the head and head gaskets. Once he did a proper head gasket job with a good gasket and studs and finnally dropped his boost back down to stock he has been all right.

Kevo