Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

1985 FJ60 V8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 FJ60 V8 swap

I have an 85 FJ60 that is mostly stock, except for a mild lift in the back to better fit 33x12.50x15's. It has a bunch of miles on it and I am overhauling/rebuilding the suspension. Original carb 2F six cylinder, 4 speed, transfer case and running gear. I'm planning on a V8 swap for all the obvious reasons including a noisy lifter in the motor.

Motor I am planning on is any of the Gen III GM 5.3, any code (LM7/LM4/L59/L33). Fuel injection is just as easy as a carb, so that is probably the route that I will go. I want to stick with a manual trans for driveability purposes including better mpg, and an upgrade to a 5 speed.

I have read a bunch of tech stuff from Advanced Adapters on the different conversion kits they have and different routes to go. They suggest using the Dodge version of the NV4500 for strength and using their adapter to retain the stock toyota transfer case. Going this route means I don't have to replace the rear end because of the offset differential. That's where I run into problems.

The questions I have are:
1. Is there any Toyota 5 speed that will handle the 5.3's torque and bolt directly up to the original FJ60 transfer case? Model numbers and years help a lot if there is.

2. Advice from anyone else that has tried this before, what did you end up doing?

3. Anybody do a Toyota V8 swap? Did that make it any easier? If so, what motor and set up did you use?

I am trying to build on a budget so I want to do it right the first time. If anyone knows of a way to keep it as simple as possible or has experience I would appreciate input. I don't want to hack this thing up or make it a hard core off road rig, but it is my camping rig and frequently sees a combination of highway driving to an offroad situation. Thanks in advance!