4Wheeling 101 Discussion pertaining to the proper use of your off road gear and recovery techniques

Recovery Techniques and things to know

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recovery Techniques and things to know

Winter is coming up and I know a lot of us like to help others out by pulling their little cars out of the snow. So I thought it would be a good idea to post some techniques and other things people should know before they jump in and try and save someones day.

Ill start...

Keep it in 4lo (learned that the hard way once)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 AM
WFO

Its really not a good idea to pull someone out thats stuck on the side of the road. If its a buddy thats one thing but if its a stranger its not a good idea. If your strap, chain or whatever youre using was to break and damage their car or yours youre gonna have some problems. I think its even illegal in some states. Your better off just helping them out by letting them use your phone or getting a tow truck for them.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'll say i'm a little hesitant to help people out on the side of the road as far as recovery, but I also know how badly it sucks to be stuck on the side of the road and no one will help you.
Make sure you are tied into a solid point on their vehicle and I'd advise against using chains for the breakage/damage factor
Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

I agree on the no chain, i use a strap and sometimes two (of the same length). I was wondering about the liability issues if something happend to their car. What if you had them sign something? Ha like all of us carry little contracts in our trucks but just an idea for those who are in areas that get tons of snow.

I also have a shovel mounted to my rollbar (first gen) so i could dig them out if i was worried about pulling them out.

Last edited by Chapman88SR5; 10-24-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 AM

well as far as liability, look at all the frivolous lawsuits and the sue happy people these days. Just make a judgment call on if the people are stuck worse than you can safely extract them or if you should help them at all. Most of those homegrown contracts don't hold up in court so that's a gamble
Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, since I won that towrope from Winchline.com, I suppose I'll be using that. That thing is a brute. 25,000 pound breaking strength.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't "rescue" anyone that doesn't have tow points - which seems to be just about every domestic car on the road these days. Or at least the drivers don't know where they are ...

I think the Good Samaritan laws will cover you in just about any incident of this nature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law
Old 10-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
whenever recovering anyone, whether off or on road, always have them tie up their own vehicle. you give them their end and you take yours. tell them that you didnt hook it up or tell them where to hook it up so you are not liable.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

All good ideas, thanks guys. I'm not guna lie, I enjoy pulling people out, but on the other hand I would hate being stuck there and having to pay a tow truck lots of money to pull me out only to get stuck again another day or even down the road.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM

i've changed my mind, i'm never pulling anyone out of being stuck ever again. If I see someone stuck I'm just going to tell them that they should buy a half-track lol
Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Towing a car out is like rock climbing. Make your own attachment and have the other person check it. and vice versa.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM

i have helped people out many times but I never tell them my name either I pull them out pack up my stuff and be on my way.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:21 PM

yep the old hit and run method I take part in that art, Well if you ask them if they need help then its all good so use good judgment in help. When i worked at a ski hill i pulled people out all the time, i used a tow strap and gave small tugs to get people out. One thing to avoid is gas tank tie-downs do not use them. A friend ripped off someones gas tank on a beach trying to get them out of the surf.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Over the past winter when i first got my 4 runner. i have more recoveries under my belt than i ever thought was possible.. Snow, Mud anything.. I only had to get towed out of a bad situation when I had my truck teetering sideways at the top of a 30 foot gultch In hindsight it was pretty funny..
Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM

dont forget safety above all else. I was behind a buddy flat towing an old fj40 and the roads flash froze with black ice from snow that had been previously melting. He spun out in front of me and so did a few other vehicles, We got him straightened out and started pushing and pulling out others when it just became unsafe. people losing it a hundred yards away and almost crashing into us. even the salt truck spun out. Just be very aware of your surroundings!!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Ive seen buddies get stuck trying to pull out other vehicles. wich renders both vehicles useless. Make sure you can tow them out without damaging your truck or getting stuck. Usually your best bet is too give them a lift to to a phone or towing service.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:12 PM

I was so proud...i pulled a big ass chevy out of a snow filled ditch...dude gave me twenty bucks...sweet gas money!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The last storm we had here was about 2 months ago, maybe a bit less. On my way home from a diner in a pretty big storm, I saw some high school seniors (all girls, all really cute, too) stuck in a ditch. The car was pretty buried.
One of them was on the phone with her dad. He didn't "know what to do". I told them to hang up, and I'd gladly help them out. My girlfriend got out and set a flare for me to warn oncoming traffic.

SO many people passed these poor girls. I felt so bad! Most of the trucks just passing by were full sized Chevys, Fords, Dodges, etc..
I hooked up my tow strap to the recovery hook on their car, connected the other end securely to my truck, 4-lo, pulled them right out. Not a problem.

They tried to pay me, but I refused. It wasn't that much trouble, really, and perhaps the karma will come back to me.

I always stop and offer a hand to people, regardless of whether or not it's changing a tire, pulling them out, or helping to diagnose engine failure/electrical problems.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
whenever recovering anyone, whether off or on road, always have them tie up their own vehicle. you give them their end and you take yours. tell them that you didnt hook it up or tell them where to hook it up so you are not liable.

Bad idea........

Most "car owners" dont know the first thing about recovering a vehicle...let alone where thier tow points are. This can be VERY unsafe

I would recommend reading this and passing it along to any other wheelers you know

Billavistas Recovery Bible
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always help people on the side of the road, dose not matter what season it is
but thats just me

Quick Reply: Recovery Techniques and things to know