4Wheeling 101 Discussion pertaining to the proper use of your off road gear and recovery techniques

Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor

http://www.amazon.com/Q-Industries-M.../dp/B000BM8RT8

I read elsewhere that this air comp is a great bargain.
I already have a Powertank, but I like to have a backup device (years of being a Boy Scout as a kid taught me to be prepared ) just in case the tank runs dry.

From what I read this does a decent job on filling up a tire much faster than those elcheapo air comps which I have laying around somewhere.

Anyone have this model, and what are your thoughts on it?

This place wants double what Amazon has it for.
http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...roductId=80558
Old 11-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought one about a year ago, great little unit. Fills my 265/75R16s from 15 to 32 psi in around 3 minutes each. Not as fast as a Powertank or Viair but much quicker than those cheap cigarette lighter plug ones. For the price I don't think it can be ebat.
The only bad thing I found is the fittings on the ends of the hose are a bit cheap, and can't be replaced. I broke one and ended up just buying a bigger coiled hose and putting on my own quick disconnects.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Eric, I will place an order for it tomorrow morning.

I could replace the whole line with one from Powertank, that way my Powertank inflater/gauge thing I bought a few months ago would work with it too.

This will be good to have, as my C02 goes fast.
Many like to use it to fill back up once they see that I can go from 18 PSI to 40 PSI in about 10 seconds.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have a pep boys check them, our local store has them for $50, and local costco has the tsunami 1050 comp for $48, the only difference is a 90 degree op temp instead of 140 degree MV-50

i've had mine for a little over a year and still runs good
Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Contributing Member

I've bought 4 of them.... gave one away as a gift, one in my car, one for my 4runner, and have one for a backup.
I picked up the last two really cheap on eBay (less than $25 shipped!) http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQs...opartsQ5fsally
I see some buyers have received used or inoperable units but both mine worked and looked like new.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still running my MV-1050 with my 4Air System

Been 3 years of abuse now
Old 11-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Just placed my order.

Nice thing about them too is they do not use the cig lighter, that would not enough juice to power it anyways with the amps it draws.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Just placed my order.

Nice thing about them too is they do not use the cig lighter, that would not enough juice to power it anyways with the amps it draws.
That just reminded me of something else on mine, the battery clamps aren't the best quality. One of mine kept bending so I just replaced both with heavier ones.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive had mine for a few weeks. i haven't had much time to use it, but it filled up my 32x11.5s in decent time. it's a nice compressor. i only have two complaints. first, the gauge on mine is WAY off for some reason. and secondly, the fittings they use are not standard by any means so i can't simply plug in my other accessories. but other than that it's decent. i like the portability factor.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Here is a solution I will probably end up doing to take care of the flimsy battery clamps.

http://www.msdpowersports.com/connectors.html

You can hardwire that to your battery, and the compressor wires you put on the other end.

When you want to use the compressor, snap the two ends together.

PS,
Can someone look at the wires on the compressor and see what gauge they are?
I have a feeling the battery clamps here will be to big for a quick disconnect.
And then there comes a source to find smaller quick disconnects to handle the wire of the compressor.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like 10 guage wire. I think those quick connects would be a bit big.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:00 PM

X2 for 10ga
Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Corey, I like the idea of the quick disconnect plugs too but seems like every time I get my compressor out (1050) somebody else ends up needing it on their vehicle...with their battery. Just a thought.

On my 1050 the internal crimps are super cheap. My guess is the MV50 is the same. Swap them out for some real crimps. I fried my first 1050 because the crimps failed and it shorted internally.

BTW, these will not pump up bigger truck tires. The 285's on my F350 need 65psi, and the lil Q just couldn't muster it this morning for all 4. Works great for 30psi on my 'runner though.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its easy to make it take standard fittings. Remove the fitting on there and throw the whole thing out, go to anywhere you can get standard fittings and drill it out a bit and put it on..
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, you can really mod the heck out of these little compressors. The fittings, hose, air chuck, battery clamps, power wire, air filter, and probably even the
air gauge can all be upgraded if you have the desire to.

edit: i'll post some pics when i'm done with my extra one.

Last edited by rocket; 11-27-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

i've got one, works great. it is permanently mounted under the hood and plumbed into an air tank, pressure switch, air hose fitting, and ARB solenoid. I took the top off of the compressor, removed the factory fitting, drilled it out to normal 1\4 pipe threads and hooked it up from there. it inflates my tires super fast. i usually air down to 10psi when offroad and since i have bias swampers i only run 16 psi in the rear and 18 in the front on road. it airs up from 10 to 16 in a minute or so. definitly worth the $60 i got it for locally.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mine came yesterday.
I think the total was $70 shipped to me.

I get a free off road magazine too from buy my wheels from 4WD Parts, and I see in their Christmas gift guide one from Smittybuilt that is the exact same thing.

I was thinking of getting a female air hose coupler end and putting it on the end of the hose so I could rig up my Powertank inflater that has the built in gauge.

But I got to thinking that would not work, as you would be holding pressure on it until you pulled the trigger to inflate the tires, and when you are not releasing air by pulling the trigger, it may harm the motor.

I was going to shoot a comparison video today of deflating my spare tire to 18 PSI, then air it back upto 40 PSI with both the Powertank then the MV50.

However this morning I first put air into all four of the tires as they were down to around 35 PSI from it being colder out now, and I inflated them to the normal 40 PSI I carry in them, and the last tire inflated slow with the Powertank.
Yup, I ran out of C02.

And the local place that I get it filled at closes at noon on Saturdays, it was 11:30, to late to get down there.

I will try this new thing out on the spare tire before to long to see how it works.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Corey,
I'll show you a source for small plugs. Stop by the shop next time you fuel up. We get them from the interstate dealer or NAPA.

Costco had these for $50 all summer. Gone now (I have 2)
Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, thanks Dave.
I might make it in next week to get diesel.

I still have not signed back up yet with Costco, and I have been back with Boeing now over two years.

Once I do sign up again with Costco, the home just fills up with crap
To many good deals there.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

I was just going to mention Costco, but looking at their site right now, they don't have them listed. Too bad, 48.00 was what they had them for. They do have a cool chrome one!

The Master Flow chrome dual piston compressor puts out 150 psi and 72 liter per minute. The handy 25-foot coil hose with gauge locking air valve makes airing up any project easy. Rubber grip handle is great for carrying, and the base tray with rubber anti-vibration feet help protect the compressor from the elements when set on the ground. Alligator power clips included, but can be modified for permanent wiring and mounting.

Quick Reply: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor