4Wheeling 101 Discussion pertaining to the proper use of your off road gear and recovery techniques

look'n for a new recovery strap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone mentioned buying a strap with the loops instead of the hooks.

Why is that??? You would think hooks would be better since most domestic sedans and such would have something for a hook rather than a loop...

Anyone care to explain?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM

if the strap breaks you can have a hook flying at you, or if it slips off.

there was a kid last year that got hit in the knee with a hhook and broke his knee.

as far as tow straps i got one from napa for $30 i think

been used a few occasions
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a 30 ft long, 3 inch thick 25,000 lb one from Princess Auto (Canadian equivalent to Harbor Freight) for 26 bucks on sale this week. I've already pulled 6 people out with it and it's holding up great.

The best thing about it is if it breaks, I just bring it back and they'll give me a new one for free.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by turboboost
I got a 30 ft long, 3 inch thick 25,000 lb one from Princess Auto (Canadian equivalent to Harbor Freight) for 26 bucks on sale this week. I've already pulled 6 people out with it and it's holding up great.

The best thing about it is if it breaks, I just bring it back and they'll give me a new one for free.
haha Its nice to have things like that. all the strong ass ones.

Main thing for me is i can get as many straps i want. My girlfriends dad owns a trucking company and they have the big ass straps with the tie ends and everything its nice because he has so many around his house i just load up and go.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=904_runner;50944925]if the strap breaks you can have a hook flying at you, or if it slips off.

there was a kid last year that got hit in the knee with a hook and broke his knee.]QUOTE]

So, the knee breaking part is the only downside? lol
Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
[QUOTE=JohnRaven;50944945]
Originally Posted by 904_runner
if the strap breaks you can have a hook flying at you, or if it slips off.

there was a kid last year that got hit in the knee with a hook and broke his knee.]QUOTE]

So, the knee breaking part is the only downside? lol
For off roading apps I'd stay away from hooks. If you also pull sedans out get one specially for that. We try to minimize things as much as possible so if things go wrong. The more I wheel and the more I see different ways of doing the same thing, the more I realise that the potential for something to go wrong and someone to get hurt is in full effect. And some recoveries cause more stress than pulling a sedan back onto the road.

Don't use tow balls either, they turn into cannonballs.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=muddpigg;50946166]
Originally Posted by JohnRaven

For off roading apps I'd stay away from hooks. If you also pull sedans out get one specially for that. We try to minimize things as much as possible so if things go wrong. The more I wheel and the more I see different ways of doing the same thing, the more I realise that the potential for something to go wrong and someone to get hurt is in full effect. And some recoveries cause more stress than pulling a sedan back onto the road.

Don't use tow balls either, they turn into cannonballs.
What kind would be specifically for sedans??? Hooks, loops, other?

Just thinking about the future, since 3 of my sisters are kinda...''oops, I'm in the ditch'' lol
Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 PM

i picked up some 3/4 ton d-rings at a local hardware store for $9.99 a piece.

then you get the tow strap with loops not hooks.

that way they are mounted to the vehicle, as in not going to slip off like a hook can.

With the hooks all it takes is the hook to move a hair and it could cause it to slip off and come flying at the truck, or if it breaks.

I have a 50. cal. ammo box with those d-rings, tow straps, some matches, a pair of gloves and a tiny first aid kit in my truck at all times. Never know when you will need any of the above. (i also have a bigger fist aid kit in the truck all the time
Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
[QUOTE=JohnRaven;50946227]
Originally Posted by muddpigg

What kind would be specifically for sedans??? Hooks, loops, other?

Just thinking about the future, since 3 of my sisters are kinda...''oops, I'm in the ditch'' lol
Good thinking of this stuff before the oops. Take a look at their cars and see what will work. I really don't like those slots in the frame, had a budy who was a tow truck driver he had bad stories about those, but had a tendency to embellious too. I really don't know. Make sure what ever you do go with will attach before the oops.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM

got mine at shucks for 50 bucks. i wanna say it was a 4 or 5 ton, 3inch wide 20ft, with loops. first time i used it one end got melted, took it to a guy that makes seat covers had him cut the melted end of sew a new loop, still using it 3 years later with no problems. used it 30+ times, hwy, offroad, sedans, trucks. just use some d-links.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like 2" is sufficient right? I am getting ready for winter now and pulling out people who get stuck in the snow.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crawdad
Recovery straps, unless you are incredibly diligent, take serious abuse and eventually have to be replaced.

Buy two of these, and just replace them on a regular basis (ie, whenever they start to fray)
Working load limit of 6000 pounds for those Harbor Freight straps isn't enough IMO. I have a 3" by 30' 30,000 pound strap that I've used for 2 years now. Bigger is better when it comes to recovery.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not necessarily Aaron - going to too big a strap will eliminate the benefit of the stretch. I wouldn't go any larger than a 3", and use 2" most of the time.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Get a strap with loops not hooks. Hooks are dangerous. Make sure to mount hooks on your rig though. I got my strap from a local 4x4 shop (only one!) lol. And is 2"x20ft. Its rated at 20k lbs. I've used it several times. It works GREAT! Got me out of this mess...
Old 12-16-2008, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I think my buddy got this one. Not too sure how well it works though. I'm the only guy in our group willing to go out and do anything with my truck and my poor baby has been out of service since he got it. Not a bad price though
Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM

I have a question and I hope its not a dumb one. I have a tow strap, I think its about 2" by 25'. Its got hooks on each end but the hooks arent closed and really dont have very much hook to them if you know what i mean. Anyway, Im sketched about using them because the hooks cant just sit around the vehicles tow hook because they would just slip off but they dont have enough curve to wrap around and hook onto the strap itself, well they do but Im sketched that they would slip off. So my question is how the hell do I use these things? I just want to make sure that it doesnt come flying off while Im pulling someone out and come through my windshield and kill me They are vehicle tow straps so I know they are meant for towing but they just dont seem very safe.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM

I finally pulled my speedstrap out of its bag to pull out a kid in an F-150. I can only say it worked as advertised, and the fact that he didn't have any good attachment points (no hooks or rings) meant that I didn't have to run it through a loop or tie it or anything. Just laced it, pulled, unlaced, and put it away. OK, it sat in my back seat until the snow on it melted and dried, then I looked for dirt, THEN put it away. At any rate, it seems well made and I'm glad I made the choice.

When I purchased it, I was deployed, and ended up needing to contact the company directly. The guy I talked to was great, and that is a big selling point for me as well.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by foskco87
I have a question and I hope its not a dumb one. I have a tow strap, I think its about 2" by 25'. Its got hooks on each end but the hooks arent closed and really dont have very much hook to them if you know what i mean. Anyway, Im sketched about using them because the hooks cant just sit around the vehicles tow hook because they would just slip off but they dont have enough curve to wrap around and hook onto the strap itself, well they do but Im sketched that they would slip off. So my question is how the hell do I use these things? I just want to make sure that it doesnt come flying off while Im pulling someone out and come through my windshield and kill me They are vehicle tow straps so I know they are meant for towing but they just dont seem very safe.
Hooks are BAD on straps for wheeling. I'd suggest getting a recovery strap (very different than the hooked tow strap you've got). One yank with a tow strap and the hooks will break.