4Wheeling 101 Discussion pertaining to the proper use of your off road gear and recovery techniques

How much gear do you carry on a daily basis? [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much gear do you carry on a daily basis? [pics]

So I carry allot of gear in my 87 4Runner. Why? Cause I was a boyscout and I have been known to hit the trails at any given moment. I know allot of my stuff is redundent but I designed it that way. Im the type of guy that will stop to help others and if they really need somthing I won't hesitate to give them some gear. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving stuff away for the sake of it, but when I was a little kid my mom broke down with 4 kids outside of Lake Havasu and 50 cars must have passed before this nice old guy came along and happened to have a thermostat for a Jeep Cherokee and it saved the day for us. Ever since that day I decided I would never be helpless again and I would help others.

Alright what you really clicked for the pics

Smaller box of spare parts and some tools

All put away in their box

Some of the more used items

All packed up and easy to get to

Some of the loose stuff

I always keep a backpack with a change of clothes. And I can hike for help if needed.

All packed up and ready to go. It even has a camel back so I'm good to go.

I have a tow strap but sometimes you need a little more so....

All ready to go. The Jeep joke was because my brother has a jeep and I put a weiner dog in the box. But it still works.

50 Feet of cable from a crane because you are always 3 feet short when you need a tow strap.

2 sets of snow chains (all 4 tires) and some wire, tools, and tensioners

And these are "V" bar chains. The keep traction on solid ice, trust me I know.

And when all else fails and you have to stay put, why be hugry? Maybe you can tell I'm always hungry. I carry some gear in it too.

All packed up

Not pictured items include shovel, flashlights, maps, batteries, knives, ammo, water bottles and misc things.

So how much gear do you guys/gals carry? I hauled all this stuff up 3 flights of stairs today to do inventory and if I took it all out I bet I could double my mpg's. But whatever I don't drive an 87 4Runner for the mpg's.

Lets see your gear!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Tiooy the Yota Swiss Army Knife!

Ok my list. You asked for it ... plus this was a great excuse to do an inventory!

I carry a lot. Maybe even too much! I carry most of what you have... (food water, shelter/sleeping bag - recovery gear)

What I always carry:
  • I also carry a full set of bolts, washers and spacers (grade 10) to fix ANYTHING. (like for when a lower control arm comws out of the brackets due to a loose bolt... or a leaf coming out of a shackle - I've seen it happen!
  • Snatch block and winch controller (Winch recovery gear), (I don't have the come-along like you) and where's your high lift, and shovel
  • Spare u bolts if a leaf snaps.
  • Spare ujoints
  • axle shafts
  • knee pads for wrenching
  • birfield (though I don't think the long-fields will take a digger)
  • spare hubs
  • co2 tank and air tools
  • a tarp (Did you have one in there?)
  • a large umbrella (So helps when doing a trail repair in the rain!!)
  • Extra plastic (For a busted out window)
  • oil soak up stuff and aluminum tins to catch leaking fluids
  • Electrical: volt meter, every kind of battery, crimper, wire stripper, 12 gauge wire, and butt connectors, as well as assorted fuses, extra bulbs.

Between Troy (tc) and I we also carry:
  • Crow bar, tire iron, torque wrench, axe, Full set of sockets and metric wrenches, spare can of gas.
  • an inverter (Both a cigarette plug in, and a battery direct wire up)
  • a grinder (can be used with inverter)
  • a drill
  • crows foot wrenches (to go around break lines) and spare break/ fuel lines (hard and soft) and a break line bender
  • Snap Ring Pliers
  • full socket and wrench set
  • Hub socket
  • All spare fluids (including blinker fluid)
  • brass drift & BFH (So helpful with hub replacement)
  • spare CB antenna and antenna connector parts
  • RTV, Loc-tite, JB Weld, gaffer tape, electrical tape, shrink tape, lithium grease,

On longer remote trips I add:
  • spare wheel hub assembly (With caliper and knuckle)
  • Spare seals
  • Propane torch
  • Soldering Iron

What I/Troy need to add:
  • On board welder
  • Spare external fuel pump
  • spare leaf pack
  • spare power steering pump
  • spare starter
  • spare drivelines
  • spare 3rd member (Or a conversion to a full floating kit)
  • Spark plugs and spark plug wires

Andy MY GAWD... I wonder why I have no room in my 4 runner. But I can say I have saved 5x more people on the trail (That I did not even know) than myself. Basically if it were to break on the trail and cause me to be stuck there... I carry it!

Last edited by Lysmachia; 10-26-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Luckily I've never really needed anything that I carry while driving/wheeling, but I'm always prepared.

I carry:

all necessary fluids
wrenches
hatchet
hammers
multimeter
tow straps
come-along
chain
ratchet tie-downs
fire extinguisher
hydraulic bottle jack
extra clothes
Various drawbar/hitch ball combinations

***and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting
Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice collection.
I do not have everything out of my cargobox here, but will sometime to get some good pics of it all.

Mainly lots of handtools, sockets, and a good impact wrench and lot of other stuff that can come in handy.

I too was a boyscout, I like to be prepared.

Have added two fire extinguishers since the above photo was taken.
One of the fire bottles is perfectly safe for electrical wiring and the rig, the other fire bottle is not, it will leave a mess, and is best for outside of the rig and not the rig itself.

And ya gotta have ice cream on runs right?
So I carry a fridge/freezer with me too.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 AM

i like how one of your bags of jerky is open. carrying that stuff up three flights must have made you hungry
Old 10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Back to a list, I will do it from memory, to lazy to go outside now.

Tools:
Complete Craftsman metric socket set
Gear Wrench reversible ratchet wrenches, metric of course
Craftsman pliers set
Allen wrenches, a ton
Craftsman heavy duty impact wrench
impact sockets
complete set of Craftsman screwdrivers
hammer
box cutter knife
I know there is more though...

Safety equipment:
Two fire extinguishers
flares
two first aid kits, three when wheeling

Recovery:
Warn XD9000 winch
Warn winch recovery kit with gloves, the remote (also I have true wireless remote with the winch), chain, tree strap, extra shackles, snatch block.
Two round tree saver straps from Winchline.com
Yank 'em strap

Misc:
Headlamp, Maglite, flashlight with hanging ring (Boeing issue) from Surplus Sales
Two or so Mechanix Gloves
tons of bungee cords
electrical connectors, zipeties, wire stripper/crimpers

Tire maintenance:
Powertank
tire inflater/gauge made by Powertank
tire gauge made by Powertank
tire repair kit with plugs

When wheeling:
shovel and ax on the rear of the rack
Hi-Lift X-treme on the ARB bumper
ARB fridge/freezer, still in the rig from a few weeks back from a trip

Not really much as in spare parts, I know quite a few even carry spare CVs in their FJs.
I am not wheeling that hard where I am going to break one at this time.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

I think I carry too much crap now...
Old 10-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
So I carry allot of gear in my 87 4Runner. Why? Cause I was a boyscout and I have been known to hit the trails at any given moment. I know allot of my stuff is redundent but I designed it that way. Im the type of guy that will stop to help others and if they really need somthing I won't hesitate to give them some gear. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving stuff away for the sake of it, but when I was a little kid my mom broke down with 4 kids outside of Lake Havasu and 50 cars must have passed before this nice old guy came along and happened to have a thermostat for a Jeep Cherokee and it saved the day for us. Ever since that day I decided I would never be helpless again and I would help others.

Alright what you really clicked for the pics

Smaller box of spare parts and some tools

All put away in their box

Some of the more used items

All packed up and easy to get to

Some of the loose stuff

I always keep a backpack with a change of clothes. And I can hike for help if needed.

All packed up and ready to go. It even has a camel back so I'm good to go.

I have a tow strap but sometimes you need a little more so....

All ready to go. The Jeep joke was because my brother has a jeep and I put a weiner dog in the box. But it still works.

50 Feet of cable from a crane because you are always 3 feet short when you need a tow strap.

2 sets of snow chains (all 4 tires) and some wire, tools, and tensioners

And these are "V" bar chains. The keep traction on solid ice, trust me I know.

And when all else fails and you have to stay put, why be hugry? Maybe you can tell I'm always hungry. I carry some gear in it too.

All packed up

Not pictured items include shovel, flashlights, maps, batteries, knives, ammo, water bottles and misc things.

So how much gear do you guys/gals carry? I hauled all this stuff up 3 flights of stairs today to do inventory and if I took it all out I bet I could double my mpg's. But whatever I don't drive an 87 4Runner for the mpg's.

Lets see your gear!!!!
Stud, you carry all of that on a daily basis? WOW, where do you live that you would need all of that to run to the bank or to go pick up a pizza? Your MPG must be in the negitives

I keep some stuff in my truck all the time, but not that much. It is a footlocker full of some basic stuff. But i try not to keep too much in the truck when i am not going out to wheel.

I'm an eagle scout and even i think that is a crazy lot of stuff to carry with you EVERY trip

By the way when i first got my truck (the next morning) i was out driving getting all the little things it needed and a tire poped, (of course my spare was flat) After a hour of waiting in the rain a guy came by and offered me a can of fix-a-flat... i said no thanks. I would rather sit out in the rain all day than ruin my tires with fix-a-flat. (this tire was still very new) Just noticed you had 3 cans

I would however accept a little air up if you happen to keep a plug kit (much smaller than 3 cans of fix a flat) plus it would last as long as needed instead of just a few miles. (you may have had this, but i didn't see it)

Last edited by linuxrunner; 10-26-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by isaac338
i like how one of your bags of jerky is open. carrying that stuff up three flights must have made you hungry

No it's closed, just forlded over. I have like 7 bags of jerkey around my house at all times, I'm a carnavore.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:05 PM

What I carry regularly:

Recovery:
3 20' lendths 3/8" chain w/ chain hooks on all ends
40' 1/2" cable (seriously way over kill)
High-lift
couple pieces of scrap channel
tree strap
4 3/4" shackles
few random hooks

Repairs
Alternator belt
PS Belt

Fluids
Gallon of Water
Gallon of Antifreeze
Quart of oil
w/e the size is of brake fluid (pt?)
Lucas PS fluid
5 gals of gas
3M Silicone Spray Lube
Brake Cleaner

Tools
4lb hammer/mini sledge
channel locks
vise grips
racheting wrenches (metric)
Cheapo Socket/wrench set
Some better sockets and a nice 1/2" snap-on rachet
multimeter
3 flashlights
headlamp
Really sharp bow saw
wire stripper tool
few pairs of pliers

Other
sweat shirt
work gloves
knife sharpener(el cheapo)
rags/paper towels

Stuff I Need
Snatch Strap
Shovel
Birfields(after I finish the SAS)
A spare tire haha
Air Compressor
beer
an electric impact I could plug into the cig lighter or something would be sweet. hmmmm........
edit: fire extinguisher

Anyone have some repair parts to suggest??

Last edited by Tylerars24; 10-26-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
Stud, you carry all of that on a daily basis? WOW, where do you live that you would need all of that to run to the bank or to go pick up a pizza? Your MPG must be in the negitives

I keep some stuff in my truck all the time, but not that much. It is a footlocker full of some basic stuff. But i try not to keep too much in the truck when i am not going out to wheel.

I'm an eagle scout and even i think that is a crazy lot of stuff to carry with you EVERY trip

By the way when i first got my truck (the next morning) i was out driving getting all the little things it needed and a tire poped, (of course my spare was flat) After a hour of waiting in the rain a guy came by and offered me a can of fix-a-flat... i said no thanks. I would rather sit out in the rain all day than ruin my tires with fix-a-flat. (this tire was still very new) Just noticed you had 3 cans

I would however accept a little air up if you happen to keep a plug kit (much smaller than 3 cans of fix a flat) plus it would last as long as needed instead of just a few miles. (you may have had this, but i didn't see it)
I'm getting around 18mpg. We live in an apartment now and I no longer have a garage so I just keep it all in the rig.

Fix a flax is for real emergencys like if we got a flat and someone somehow got hurt in the mix. I have plugs(Pic 1 far bottom left) and a small compressor. Fix a flat is a back-up to a back up

Boyscouts taught me hope for the best plan for the worst.

Last edited by sdstud212001; 10-26-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep... true boy scouts never forget the lessons they learn. That "Be Prepared" mentality doesn't ever really leave you
Old 10-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that same rubbermaid tote at the top. it's a good one.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Im just getting my gear together as im new to wheeling and my truck is almost finished, il be wheeling in the cold wet weather thats just starting (below freezing at night, frost and snow)

Il most likely have a locking tool box or atleast large rubbermaid tote in the back and smaller boxes behind the seats aswell as the small center console storage and the glovebox, not much room for gear in these old First gens, a canopy would probably cure that!

My future list of gear for long trips:

Food + Drink!
Spare hoodie/pants, Gloves, Gum boots, Cell phone,Spare key
Tape, Zip ties, String/lite rope, Biners(lite and heavy duty)
Shackles, Heavy duty rope, 1t Come-along
Spare Birf + instructions for changing
Flashlight (Mini mag and 1 million candle power with car charger)
Swede Saw
Small axe
Waterproof 2 person tent, Sleeping bag good for -12 Celsius
Small shovel
Small 12v 300PSI air compressor
Hi-lift jack mounted and locked to the front bumper
Spare tire
Full spare set of fuses, small roll of wire, spare headlight bulb
Tire plug kit + slime/valve stem remover
Tools: Vise Grips, Hammer, Phillips screw driver, 9,10,12,13,14,17,19 Milimeter Sockets + Wrenches, Spark plug socket, Adjustable wrench, Pliers, Mini hacksaw, Knife.

and the fun stuff

Fishing rod + tackle
Cooler
Digital Camera
GPS

I always have oil/water somewhere in my vehicle just incase, doesn't matter what vehicle it is, Ive learned a few things from this thread too!.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 10-27-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Dude, I have the SAME exact backpack and MREs! I always keep that backpack in my car for spur of the moment beach runs (spare clothes, sun block, snacks and water) and I've been meaning the throw in some MREs.

On top of a chicken crate I use for a locker to keep all my books in, an overnight bag (enough clothes for a weekend, toiletries, extra sandals), extra wax and a leash for the boards, spare towel, Wet-Ones, 5 pairs of shades, umbrella, multivitamins, Gatorade, scissors, jumper cables, bungees, flashlight and always some magazines. I've been pretty much sticking to the pavement and not going out, so I cut the junk down in the trunk. I used to keep a whole bunch more, but it got in the way of school stuff so I had to cut it out.

That's all amatuer compared to you arsenal though! Looks like you could go for a week lost out in a canyon, and still be a happy camper.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Yeah my brother always give me crap about how I'm waiting for a huge disaster and I'll just go live in the woods.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:38 PM

Hey I got that same air compressor.......that thing is a POS!!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:39 AM

I also carry 2 fire extinguishers, a big Mag-Lite, some maps and paper, winch remote, some fluids and a few other Misc things scattered through the rig.

Lamm

Last edited by 4x4Lamm; 10-28-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

HOLY BATMAN!

Does all the stuff on the ground fit in the top tool chest?

And is the orange box the first aid kit from heaven (hell?)??

I like that setup a lot Ceaner than mine.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 10-28-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

4x4lam,

That's a very tidy setup.

Quick Reply: How much gear do you carry on a daily basis? [pics]