Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

What FJ axle do I have?

Old 12-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What FJ axle do I have?

I traded a 240 I had for this truck. I usually always buy stock and build myself but this time around I had no place to build and this truck is pretty much exactly the way I would and have built past Toyotas. Anyways im unsure about what model FJ this axle came out of. Im thinking 60 but im not sure. Has normal mini truck hubs and 30s that I installed which all fit fine. Only noticeable difference is the larger diff. Just curious what model you all might think its from. I need to order a new locker and gear set. Im pretty sure all FJs were 9.5 but again im not 100% on that. Any input would be cool.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueYota
I traded a 240 I had for this truck. I usually always buy stock and build myself but this time around I had no place to build and this truck is pretty much exactly the way I would and have built past Toyotas. Anyways im unsure about what model FJ this axle came out of. Im thinking 60 but im not sure. Has normal mini truck hubs and 30s that I installed which all fit fine. Only noticeable difference is the larger diff. Just curious what model you all might think its from. I need to order a new locker and gear set. Im pretty sure all FJs were 9.5 but again im not 100% on that. Any input would be cool.

an older one based on the solid non-vented rotors. Sorry im not familiar with FJs but I can tell you that much. And you need a square U-bolt on the inside driver side spring perch, thats not gonna hold.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:05 AM

Yeah its strange. One of the only I have found online that has a completely round diff cover. Most have an indent for the ring gear. Just curious on what model it might be. Yeah the truck has a few little things here and there that need to be addressed.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Yeah its strange. One of the only I have found online that has a completely round diff cover. Most have an indent for the ring gear. Just curious on what model it might be. Yeah the truck has a few little things here and there that need to be addressed.
yeah thats true, I've only ever seen them with the indent for the ring gear. It could be a 9 1/2" pipe cap welded on there? Before companies like TG came out with diff armour, guys used to weld pipe caps on the diff to protect them.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Your axle has a pipe cap welded to the front... and no fill plug, which is interesting. If you measure the axle WMS to WMS, you could figure out what model LC it came from. That being said, all SA LCs have 9.5" ring gears (which answers your question).
Old 12-15-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I feel like I'm crazy here but is that a high opinion diff installed upside down? It looks to me that you have a mini truck axle with an 8" high pinion installed like a low pinion.
Attached Thumbnails What FJ axle do I have?-photo341.jpg  

Last edited by Yotard; 12-15-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 PM

Your crazy or maybe drunk? You couldn't flip a high pinion diff, or any diff for that matter unless you can figure out how to make the front driveline rotate the opposite direction. Your front tires would spin backwards. Dont feel too bad, I thought I had this genius idea too, flip a diff to make it a high pinion. I presented my idea to the legendary ZUK where apon he schooled me on basic physics. One of those "oh duh" moments.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude i realize that completely but look closer at the picture it looks wrong. And he says it needs a new locker and gear set. I have never seen a diff hang lower than the housing like that. And I can't find a comparable housing that looks like that in a low pinion. I know how this stuff works I have gear swapped myself to 4.88s.

Last edited by Yotard; 12-15-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Yotard
Dude i realize that completely but look closer at the picture it looks wrong. And he says it needs a new locker and gear set. I have never seen a diff hang lower than the housing like that. And I can't find a comparable housing that looks like that in a low pinion. I know how this stuff works I have gear swapped myself to 4.88s.
I'm pretty sure the bottom of the housing has been "clearanced". I know why the front diff is bad. My axles and all that when in and out just fine multiple times too. Its definitely a 9.5" R&P as well. I just wasn't sure which model FJ it was. Guess ill never know haha
Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the bottom of the housing has been "clearanced". I know why the front diff is bad. My axles and all that when in and out just fine multiple times too. Its definitely a 9.5" R&P as well. I just wasn't sure which model FJ it was. Guess ill never know haha
that's what I was gonna say, someone really really really wanted another 1/4 inch of ground clearance! I would weld some flat bar on there to at least make it flush with the flange, catch that lip on a rock and its gonna crack and leak, and most likely be junk at that point. Youd have to weld cast iron which is always tricky, then machine the flange face flush. Prob cheaper to buy a new diff at that point.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:36 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Well ChinkTruck....did you get the axle housing? If so, post some pics of it(better than the junkyard guy).
Old 12-23-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
Well ChinkTruck....did you get the axle housing? If so, post some pics of it(better than the junkyard guy).
ok im confused? What is it your wanting?
Old 12-27-2016, 12:33 PM
ZUK

oops, wrong guy.....meant RogueYota
Old 12-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ZUK
oops, wrong guy.....meant RogueYota
Did I get the axle? No its was under the truck when I bought it. I can get better detailed photos tonight though. Is that what you're asking? Better pics?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:16 AM
ZUK

Fins on a 1985 FJ60 (upper fin was flapper
sanded down on mine for clearance related reasons)
Note how thick the fins are on a 60 compared to a 8" 3rd.

shape of the 60 cover.......also has vented disc (Mine is a flipped 60 so no drain plug)

Actually....I'm in the wrong thread my goof.......
Your axle pics are actually pretty good....
But closer inspection of them shows it to be a typical 8"
fyi

Ken

Last edited by ZUK; 12-29-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Ok so im stupid lol Turns out its an 85 axle. Someone cut off the factory diff cover and the bottom of the housing. Plated the bottom for clearance and then welded on a pipe cap for a cover. Look at the bottom truss. The axle uses a normal 8" diff. Sorry for all the confusion! haha I was told FJ axle when I bought it and the pipe cap kinda had me going. But Im glad its not an FJ and that its an 85!

Search this Thread