Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Which model? How to ID my axles

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wanna trade tires? Good lord what I wouldn't give for some 35x10.5r15 Centipedes(don't know if yours are that size, but that's the size I'd rock). Looks like a solid, capable rig, and I could totally rock a Slamurai, too...if I'd fit in one.

Ok, clarification on which cable you're needing, it's not the Celica cable, right? Slightly different fitting? The one you posted a pic of on the axle doesn't look like it has any bolts holding it in place or anything, really it looks(externally) exactly like mine. Which I'm about 90% sure is a Hilux Surf everywhere but North America.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Thats a cool rig man! Best of luck IDing the axle...

The torque rod location on the front axle was throwing me off too.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Wanna trade tires? Good lord what I wouldn't give for some 35x10.5r15 Centipedes(don't know if yours are that size, but that's the size I'd rock). Looks like a solid, capable rig, and I could totally rock a Slamurai, too...if I'd fit in one.

Ok, clarification on which cable you're needing, it's not the Celica cable, right? Slightly different fitting? The one you posted a pic of on the axle doesn't look like it has any bolts holding it in place or anything, really it looks(externally) exactly like mine. Which I'm about 90% sure is a Hilux Surf everywhere but North America.
Do you know the postage for shipping those to the US from here I paid $400+ postage to get a set of King shocks here from there!! Those tyres are Insa Turbo 285 75 16 - they are rated as 33" but in reality they are closer to 34" when you measure them. Couldn't go any bigger because of the firewall. Both axles were moves 7" each away from each other thus making the Samurai wheel base 14" longer - It has a 300tdi 2.5 litre Land Rover diesel engine with it's own automatic gearbox/transfer case - it's not as light as it used to be but it GOES!!!!!!!!!!! Enuf about that..

Let me clear this then .. I need to ID my rear axle (realised the front one is more of a problem to ID than the rear and it is not important to ID the front one for now) to be able to get myself a hand brake cable. The part I pulled off my axle - this:

is how the steel part of the cable enter the wheel hub and attach to this lever:

I used the Celica cable as an example of it having the same fitting as I removed from my axle.

Clear enuf?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Thats a cool rig man! Best of luck IDing the axle...

The torque rod location on the front axle was throwing me off too.
I'm going to photoshop it out of the picture. It's confusing everyone
Old 07-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JoeConti
The part I pulled off my axle - this:

is how the steel part of the cable enter the wheel hub and attach to this lever:

The drum brake setup on my Runner is exactly the same inside, same parking brake lever.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
The drum brake setup on my Runner is exactly the same inside, same parking brake lever.
Great. Any chance of a picture where the cable enters the drum from the inner under side of the vehicle please?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JoeConti
Great. Any chance of a picture where the cable enters the drum from the inner under side of the vehicle please?
That was the first picture that I posted up. From in front of the axle, passenger side

Name:  B0C74BE0-7278-4A0C-A8C2-CD6AD3930709_zps3g1aubzd.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  89.7 KB

From right below the axle, passenger side

Name:  6FA557DD-F002-41AC-A3C3-DA77E2F5D042_zpshzrurqdp.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  96.2 KB
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Here's what's happening. Spoke to my supplier. Told him that front and rear axle were not from same model and that as long as ratio is the same i have no problem with that and he agreed to change the diff on one of them to make them both same ratio if they were different. Since I modded both axles, he also agreed to swap rear axles except for (don't know what you guys call it) the external case and diff. He will be changing the complete wheel hubs and shafts. When that happens I'll update you with what's happening.

Thanks you all for your time and great help. I appreciate it

Last edited by JoeConti; 07-17-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Update:

Changed shaft and wheel hubs with an LN 107 model. This way I know for sure I can find a handbrake cable locally. Here's what it looks like.

What I am not too sure of now is if the handbrake lever on the back side of the wheel hub should be on the rear side of the vehicle or front.

Which is the front, the red or the blue arrow? Will it make any difference which way it faces because if it should be facing the rear of the vehicle then that lever is in the wrong position because of a bump stop.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Which model? How to ID my axles-14-hand-brake.png  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:59 PM

I remember my '83 pickup(Hilux, frame code RN38, I think) had the lever in the rear of the axle. I couldn't say if it'll make a big difference, though
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 AM

I'm thinking out loud.

When I reverse and put my foot on the brake it works fine. Same as engaging the parking brake while parked facing uphill (in Malta it is very common)

The suspension bump stop is in the way of the parking brake cable but if I swap the left and right wheel hubs complete with shafts then the lever will be in the front side of the axle with a clear view for the parking brake cable to be install and fitted. Agree?