Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Which front solid axle to use? 66 Landcriuser or

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Which front solid axle to use? 66 Landcriuser or

I have a Suzuki Sammy. I'm putting in a built Mazda rotory and 5 speed Trans. I'm gonna have to put in some stronger axles
i have a 66 Landcriuser front axle but don't know wether to use it or get a front axle from a early 80's Toyota truck.
i plan on using a rear end from a Toyota pickup.
Whats your ideas for the front axle and which to use?
thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 AM

Rx8 motor? Sick! Turbo'd ? The 84-85 mini truck axels have the truss along the bottom that would be what I'd use but if you already have the fj why not just use that until it breaks and then upgrade.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Are you keeping the divorced t/c?

Can you get a matched gear set to match the front and rear gear sets?

Doesn't the LC use a 9.5" pumpkin? I would used matched axles.

Last edited by dropzone; 10-21-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:23 PM

Rotory sammy

I'm planning on using the rotory engine and 5 speed Trans from the RX7. Divorced, then I can upgrade the T-case if needed. It's running right now but I'm tired of driving a slug 1.3 without power! It already has the 6.5 gears in the T-case. Lock rights front and rear, stock axle gear ratios, has old man emu 6" lift and running 33 Baha claws.
the new rotory engine is a fresh rebuild by Kurt Robberson Mazda, mololla Oregon. It's built with a 48mm weber downdraft carb. It comes out to be approx. 275 horsepower. No turbo needed.
I don't have a rear Landcriuser axle, just the front that I can build. That's why I was asking about which front axles were better to build.
Toyota pickup rear ends are everywhere but solid front axles are not. This will be a winter project.
so, do I build the 66 Landcriuser axle and a Toyota pickup rear axle, or get both front and rear axles from a 80's Toyota pickup?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:09 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Prineville
.................................................. . This will be a winter project.
so, do I build the 66 Landcriuser axle and a Toyota pickup rear axle, or get both front and rear axles from a 80's Toyota pickup?
....................or build the front FJ40 axle and search for a rear FJ40 axle. FJ all the way. No braces needed because the axle housing are stout.
rear FJ axle is offset to passenger just like your sami axle.....85 pickups are not. 9.5" ring gears front and rear would seem pretty awesome in a Sami.
Start your build and post pics in this thread you started.

I built up a Sami back in the previous century....a build up back then was a lot different than a build up these days

Last edited by ZUK; 10-25-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM

I'm still waiting for a few parts to come in, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate. I also gotta clean my shop from a summer of odd jobs in there. My shop is 40'x60'x16' eves. I have a 9000lb car hoist to ease my bad back! I work on elevators for the last 35 years. Lots of welding and fab under my belt.
i worked on a lot of the old birdcage type elevators from the 20's and 30's. a lot of hand made wrought iron stuff.
i have the front axle now from the fj40.