Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

92 sas swap begins

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 sas swap begins

So it begins. This is something I have wanted to do for about ten years. I am as giddy as a school kid the night before Christmas. We are going to be building a 1992 4runner a/t. The donor is a 1982 4runner (I think) I know its 82 just some debate as to if it was a runner or hilux. I got it for a crazy great deal. The guy that had it also had a jeep that he wanted some stuff done to it, like a hitch and an upgraded radio installed. I said deal, and hauled it to the shop. I ordered the trail gear 4" sas kit. I plan to start rebuilding the axle in the am. I am in the process of removing a 3.4 motor from a 97 runner that will also be getting implanted in to the 92.

this is the donor engine. Got this for free (actually was paid to take it). I own a wrecker service in Newnan GA and this kid rolled the car during Christmas break. So for the wrecker bill and stowage we got the runner. I have been super lucky in this, except explaining to the wife why I had to keep collecting runners (hehehe), I explained it as the red carpet runway outfit, you never see them with out shoes, right?
I am sure I will have a ton of questions but here we go. Well do the front sas then move on to the 3.4 swap.
Scott Ross
Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Will be a fun build.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:08 PM

quick update: finally got time to tear in to the axle today. Mostly 95% looked good. The passengers side (I Believe) truion bearing was rusted solid and the hub (ball area) had a bunch of water in it. The drivers side lock nut and adjuster nut was very loose. I can honestly tell you a lot more parts came off this thing than I planned, the instructions seemed a lot more simple. We should have it cleaned and wire wheeled by Saturday and start going back together with it.
Any ideas or info to upgrade the axle please speak now or forever hold your tongue. I have the gusset and rebuild kit from trail gear, I got the axle seals from yota (wife works there).
Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
RCV axle shafts

Not everybody can afford them....might be the last set you have to buy.....
http://www.rcvperformance.com/produc...sku=CVJ2851-PU

Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM
ZUK

Also....Marlin HD eco seals (to keep the gear oil out of the knuckle). One per side.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 PM
ZUK

Those RCV axles are the best of the best.
Here's the post from my build when I received my own RCV's....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152...l#post52330585
Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 PM

thanks for the info. those do look great. nice attention to detail on the rolled edges and the grease able ends. may be out of the price range right now. I have all ready installed the trail gear seal also. I will put the seals on the list for future did assembly. I am a little lost in the rebuild right now so not going as fast as I want. I am also in the process of doing a 3.4 swap as well so I am getting a little lost or over whelmed. I am going to take a break and clean the shops up Sunday and start fresh Monday.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:29 PM

well the good news is I am going back together with it. have pictures and will post later. The other good news is I tore the left side axle seal, so I had to order the Marlin Eco seals for my axle. Could not justify it before as the other seals were in the Trail Gear kit. But when it tore (actually the spring came out) it was on. So in the mean time I am gonna bead blast the hub lockers and go ahead and paint the axle. Also I am waiting on the welder to get here this week end so I may still hold of on the painting until it arrives. I have a bit of a schedule for this and I am starting to run behind. Also the closer I get the more excited and impatient I am getting.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flippz
well the good news is I am going back together with it. have pictures and will post later. The other good news is I tore the left side axle seal, so I had to order the Marlin Eco seals for my axle. Could not justify it before as the other seals were in the Trail Gear kit. But when it tore (actually the spring came out) it was on. So in the mean time I am gonna bead blast the hub lockers and go ahead and paint the axle. Also I am waiting on the welder to get here this week end so I may still hold of on the painting until it arrives. I have a bit of a schedule for this and I am starting to run behind. Also the closer I get the more excited and impatient I am getting.
Sub'd. Good luck to you!.I'm having to buy the tools at the same time I'm doing this so super slow going for me.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it begins. This is something I have wanted to do for about ten years. I am as giddy as a school kid the night before Christmas. We are going to be building a 1992 4runner a/t. The donor is a 1982 4runner (I think) I know its 82 just some debate as to if it was a runner or hilux. I got it for a crazy great deal. The guy that had it also had a jeep that he wanted some stuff done to it, like a hitch and an upgraded radio installed. I said deal, and hauled it to the shop. I ordered the trail gear 4" sas kit. I plan to start rebuilding the axle in the am. I am in the process of removing a 3.4 motor from a 97 runner that will also be getting implanted in to the 92.

this is the donor engine. Got this for free (actually was paid to take it). I own a wrecker service in Newnan GA and this kid rolled the car during Christmas break. So for the wrecker bill and stowage we got the runner. I have been super lucky in this, except explaining to the wife why I had to keep collecting runners (hehehe), I explained it as the red carpet runway outfit, you never see them with out shoes, right?
I am sure I will have a ton of questions but here we go. Well do the front sas then move on to the 3.4 swap.
Scott Ross
Your "82 4 runner" is actually a "Toyota Trekker" they are very rare and worth a lot of $ even as it was. Now that you've torn it up it's worth less but still worth more than you probably think. You should be building that in all honesty.

Last edited by ChinkTruck; 12-07-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 PM

I know I got another one as well waiting in the wings. unfortunately the interior was destroyed and was rolled over at one time. when it was put back together it was a lot less than stellar and there is a lot of body rot and rust. I wasn't sure it would make to the house with out the top coming off. And I didn't tear it up, still have every nut bolt and washer that came off of it. there was only two things cut off the brake lines as they were rusted and the exhaust (self explanatory). It was professionally dismanteled :}
Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I got another one as well waiting in the wings. unfortunately the interior was destroyed and was rolled over at one time. when it was put back together it was a lot less than stellar and there is a lot of body rot and rust. I wasn't sure it would make to the house with out the top coming off. And I didn't tear it up, still have every nut bolt and washer that came off of it. there was only two things cut off the brake lines as they were rusted and the exhaust (self explanatory). It was professionally dismanteled :}
Ok just checking, couldn't tell if the "82 4runner" line was sarcasm or ignorance, and no you didn't tear it up, I just got a little butt hurt when I thought a guy was gonna junk a Trekker. Hope to see you post a build thread on the other one you have, Ive always wanted one myself with a RE swap.