Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Green Water pics are up

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Green Water pics are up

Well most of them. I am too tired to add Todd's pics, I will get them added tomorrow.

There may be a few mistakes on the page as I'm pretty burnt out, and also a little sunburnt

For some reason the table that contains the links for the full size pics went whacko and got a weird size to it.

Here is page one. Page two will be added tomorrow hopefully.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/7602/762002.htm

Had a great time up there, and could not have asked for better weather.
Also heard on the CB from another Toyota 4x4 group from about 3 different clubs as they were going over the Naches trail.

Then we heard about a rig in another party that had rolled and started the forest on fire.
That was in a different area that what we were at.
I was able to get a signal out when I took my phone off of no roaming, and contacted a sheriff who was going to contact someone to look into it.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure wish I could go on Saturdays but I have to work at L.S.

You guys drove right by my wifes work in Enumclaw at the last light by Farman's pickle place. She said she looked out and saw you guy's drive buy. She liked your runner Corey, reminded her of our 95 we had.

Maybe some day I can meet up with you guys ?.?
Old 07-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, baby!

Good job, Corey. Pics are great!
I must say, my fav has got to be the vid of you shooting 'Bruiser'. That is an absolute classic!
You know, there was plenty of rounds. You could have had another turn!
You got too much sun. So did I. Sunburned at 5 thousand feet
Guess I'm gonna have to get busy with a CB install. My hand-held worked pretty good, but could really use a properly installed unit.
Jim
Old 07-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Your wife saw us going up there?
Cool man, way cool.

I forgot to mention in the last post as I am really burnt out (and sunburnt) that is was nice to meet AlanH from the forum here, and to meet Mark (Markshorline) on the forums and his son Brian.

Had a great time up there. That one spot where we took a lot of pictures of Mt. Rainier was free firewood laying everywhere that was bone dry.
There was also a fire ring there. What a perfect campspot that would make.

As always, I also left the 'skeeter repellant at home, and the little buggers and small no-seeums where eating me alive up there.

You will have to get up sometime with us Paul, it was picture perfect up there.
We also saw some vultures and hawks, and a grouse I believe that just sat in front of Jim's way on the road up there.
Thing had no fear at all.
Corey
Old 07-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Jim, I'm worn out too from all the coding for the pics.
That's a lot of work, ah, maybe I can blame it on Big Bruiser!

That gun was literaly a kick to shoot, no pun intended.
We'll have to work on getting you a bigger CB setup for sure. Todd was coming in so much louder than you, and a lot of that is due to the antenna, and not the radio.

It was fun up there. All the fresh air, no city sounds, no fireworks exploding every few minutes.
I really needed that trip today.
Corey
Old 07-06-2002, 07:06 PM

Mark is a great guy and so is his golden. I sold him my set of rims I had for his 4runner. His dog is so mellow.

I will be on vacation this week so maybe we could meet up? When your up in the wood be careful with fire, it is pretty dry I'm sure. My wife is a fire dipatcher for the summer in Enumclaw.:fireman:
Old 07-06-2002, 09:18 PM

Doh! I missed another one!
Old 07-07-2002, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by David_Vestfal
Doh! I missed another one!
Maybe you Northwesterners should build an e-mail list so that if someone plays forum hooky for a while, they can still get the scoop on the runs. That's kind of what we have going on in CO.

Looks like great weather and a nice relaxing drive through the woods. Are there any obstacles up there other than your little loose rutted hill? I'd love to get out there and check it out, show off the locker etc. That won't happen soon though, i'm afraid.

Hearing of the rollover and fire makes me think that I really need a fire extinguisher on board before CO4RJ in 5 weeks. I'd hate to be part of a group that causes yet another forest fire. Money is tight now , but this is one thing I won't skimp on. I want one that will be as effective as possible on all kinds of fire and have a nice big capacity without being the size of a firetruck. Suggestions??
Old 07-07-2002, 02:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi Matt, I usually put an upcoming run on the Clubs page, but I have not had much of a chance to work on it lately. Dang mod fever...

An email list sounds pretty cool though. I actually had made one up one time for all the current members that are in the PNW 4Runner club.

There are a lot of hard trails up there. Here is one:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/trips/naches.html

It can be done without a locker as I did it October of 2000, but I am not too sure if I would want to do it again without one.
I had to be spotted several times as my rear wheels were sliding over roots and small stumps.
There were times that my spotter said goose it to get a run to get over something, and I ended up sliding close to a few trees.
Here are a few pics from that old run:
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/fall12a.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/fall13.jpg

This sign where John stopped to feed his rig was at about the 3/4 mark I think.
In Eric's link above you can see a man made bridge on the trail. That was kind of spooky as you can't see anything going over it.
His article is pretty funny if you read it. Shane & I were laughing about it yesterday as he describes the two full size rigs on the CB talking and seeing trees shaking in the distance from being hit by the red neck drivers.

I'd say that trail is pretty hard to make it through without a locker.
Here are some more pics of Greenwater from last June.
http://64.38.120.27/runs/jj2001/jj2001.htm

Here is a pic of Ken on the Naches trail:
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/t..._lean_02_s.jpg

That's Shane spotting him. When I went in October on that trail the year before, Ken was ahead of me and I could not keep up as he has the factory E locker.

So yes, there are some pretty mean trails up there that I can see, but I can't run with the rig I have.
There are a few tight trails I have found up there that I can do without a locker, and they are fun.
I like the kind of trail that winds around trees and logs and stumps, as long as I can make it through

That Naches trail I did in a few places I had about an inch of space on either side of my mirrors, and that was pretty nerve racking.
More than once I asked myself what I was doing in there.
That trail as you can see by Ken's picture has a lot of off camber in it requiring some good maneuvering.

On the fire bottle mod, I got your answer. Better to have two to be safe:
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/mod3.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/mod3b.jpg

Both are very easy to get to if needed. I hope I never have to use them though.

That would be cool if you ever got out to our area and I could show you Greenwater. We were just yakking yesterday as I have been going up there for over 10 years and have not seen a scratch of it.
Those old roads we were on go forever with many spur cutoffs that dead-end to clear cuts, or meet up with other trails.
There has to be more trails and roads in there than the entire length and width of WA. state.
Many will take you clear over from our West side into Eastern WA.
The Naches is one such trail. It is the one the old pioneers came over on in the wagon trains when they settled from the East to the West.
Corey
Old 07-07-2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by jx94148
Maybe you Northwesterners should build an e-mail list so that if someone plays forum hooky for a while, they can still get the scoop on the runs. That's kind of what we have going on in CO.
There is one already in existance but it's a little like the Pirate board in it's style, however all the guys on it are very friendly in person.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x4nw/

For a fire extinguisher, I'd suggest a 5lb ABC (I recommend Amerex for the brand) for the back of the rig where it's out of the way, and a 2½lb for the front seats for quick acccess.

Corey, I'm having trouble with my server (it's acting flaky and exchange is totally fubar'd so my email is down) so I haven't had a chance to post the pics and vids I took yet. I'll throw them up on my UW webspace and PM you a link, if you want to you're welcome to add them to the others on your site.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, thanks Shane, looking forward to the pics.
Hope you get your server running again.

Still nursin' a nasty sunburn here, and I keep scratching my knees where those dang no see-ums bit me.
I have big red marks from them.

I'm going to keep a bottle of REI Jungle Juice in the rig for emergencys like that.
I think if I had taken the time to put on a hat like Todd did, that would have saved most of my head and face from the burn.
Corey
Old 07-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

BUMP

I just got done adding some pictures & videos from Shane.
Shane just got a cool new digicam from Canon. I can't remember the model, but it's awsome.
My digicam has memory envy

I currently have a 64 MB memory stick in mine from Sony, and they go up to 128 I believe.
Shane's has what looks like a Smart Media card in his, but in reality it's a frickin' 1 GB hard drive :eek:

In his first video, you can hear what my Magnafolow sounds like in 4low.
It's amazing his camera picked up the sound pretty good from far away.
Corey
Old 07-08-2002, 07:10 AM

Great day up at Greenwater! Beautiful scenery, fine people, excellent trucks and of course- lots of fun. Brian, Chief and I had lots of fun watching Shane's antics, the elephant gun and learning about off-roading. Thanks for the invitation. The website is awesome. Mark
Old 07-08-2002, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Elephant gun!?? Next time I go up I'll bring my muzzle loader. Also, as a side note it is best to shoot from the side of the road to the target (not shooting across the road). At least in the hunting regs it says you will not shoot "from, across, or along" a road.

Hope to get my EFI up and running soon, and join you on the next run

David

Last edited by Yoda; 07-08-2002 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Elephant gun!?? Next time I go up I'll bring my muzzle loader. Also, as a side note it is best to shoot from the side of the road to the target (not shooting across the road).
Point taken, Yoda. Please keep in mind, however, that we were at nearly 5,000 ft in elevation, many miles up the mountain road, in the middle of nowhere. Even so, we were keeping a close watch to make sure that nothing was approaching. It was completely safe. The hunting regs are more concerned with shooting (poaching) from a vehicle, or cruising along in your rig, looking for game, instead of actually getting out and walking. Our target was a large, dead stump. Now it's really dead.
Jim
Old 07-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by mytruck
Our target was a large, dead stump. Now it's really dead.
Jim
The sun played target practice with my noggin' Saturday.
Here is where it lefts its ultra violet imprint on me.

I had tow caps in the rig too. I shoot have worn one, but it did not feel that hot out, but being up that high the sun is very deceiving. I should have known better as I have got burnt in the winter time while skiing. It's easy to do when you are up high.

Believe me, it hurts, and it's going to get worse once the scalp blisters. the forehead started to blister like that Sunday morning.

Putting alovera gel on it straight from the fridge, and it feels nice and cool.
Corey
Old 07-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Owww

Corey..I have seen some pretty bad sunburns, but yours takes the cake. I've never seen one blister like that before. That's gotta hurt. :cry:
If all else fails...
Jim
Old 07-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Corey,

Whoa! Doesn't look like fun! I know the sun was bright, but it didn't seem like we spent that much time out in the sun. I know the problems of sunburn at higher altitudes (at least high by Cascade Mtn standards - not so high compared to the Rockies unless you're climbing Mt Rainier or one of the other volcanos) from my mountain climbing days. I was thinking a couple of times I should have brought a broad-rimmed hat instead of the baseball cap to keep a little more sun off. I got some burn around my neck. Didn't see any on the legs which surprised me since I don't wear shorts out that much to get a tan.

I was thinking the next time you could charge a trip organizer's fee and use the proceeds to buy a hat, but then I saw where you said you had some in your rig you didn't wear. Maybe if you had a PNW4R had you'd be more inclined to wear it.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Here's what I really need Alan, a good brimmed hat from REI.

Baseball hats are OK, but they don't really protect the neck any.

The Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero is another one I like from REI.

I have been meaning to pick one up. Dang, I was just there last weekend too.
Corey
Old 07-08-2002, 09:56 PM

Nice pics and vids. Looks like a great time and perfect weather. Damn Jim, that 12 ga. would have knocked me on my arse! I can see where a pistol grip would not be good. Corey, yer noggin looks cooked. I'm kinda burned from 4 day beach camp, but the sun block (and Sponge Bob visor) did it's job. I'm not hurtin' just a little red/brown...
butnut

Quick Reply: Green Water pics are up