Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Thinking about selling my rig SR5 PU

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

Well the time has come where I'm thinking about selling extend cab SR5 pickup. It really doesn't suite my needs anymore, and my wheeling buddies have all moved on to other things. So this is leading me to explore my options. I need some advice as to what will be a reasonable asking price for my truck. I know for a fact I have about $6.5K wrapped up into it. Looking daily at craigslist doesn't bring up too many (if at all any) similar trucks in the same condition.

Here are the highlights:

1992 xtra cab sr5
189K miles
factory 4.56 gears
Newer Aisin clutch (new clutch master cylinder and slave)
3.0 v-6 (runs great!, but I have no maintenance history other than the stuff I've done)
Aisin front hubs
Full tune up
New radiator (and supporting parts minus new water pump)
New fuel lines (feed and return)
Newer bed (see photos)
OME rear leaf springs and front B.J. spacers (torsion bars relaxed for 1" lift)
4x innovations rear bumper
Custom front winch bumper made from 1.75 .120 wall dom
Rugged ridge 8.5k winch with remote solenoid pack (on passenger side by evap. canister)
Color match bed cap

The thing that drew me to the truck in the beginning was the minimal amount of rust, considering I live in the rust belt (south west Ohio). I've POR-15'ed the a-arms and parts of the frame, and have sprayed the entire internal length of the chassis with Fluid flim. I've done some work to the cab (rocker panel had a rust through spot), but the chassis and cab is in pretty good shape comparing to other rigs in the area.

Any help with the pricing of my truck would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:54 AM

And a few more things...
upon researching, this truck HAS NOT had the head gasket recall done.
The truck is also equipped with rear ABS that worked when I drove it last winter, but has not been in a situation where it was needed since. The AC does not work; there is evidence of a leak around a condenser connection, but I haven't had time to repair it. I was planning to replace all of the AC components to get it working by my next road trip.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats the problem with these custom rigs. We sink a lot of hard earned cash into them and when its time to sell, no one wants to pony up to the bar.

I would plan on keeping it. Just morph it into something you need. Its not junk and selling for 10 cents on the dollar is just to painful.

I bought a truck to flip, and no one wants it. So I drive the daylights out of it. Its gotten cheaper to keep it than to sell it.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 AM

Ya, thats kind of what I figured. Truthfully, I knew from the get go that I'd never get back what I have invested. I know the winch bumper may throw off a few people (i kept the stocker just incase), but there really isnt anything too custom about it. A majority of my expenses have been age related maintaince items.

Everything I've seen for sale in my immediate vicinity (150 mile radius) has rust issues or mechanical issues. There aren't too many sorted out pickups that could be classified as daily driveable. I guess I'll keep a look out for similar Trucks and the asking price.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
For your part of the country, that is in great shape. It might sell quicker then you think, you just never know.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^I agree, to me it looks in great shape for that part of the country. if it were me, I would just stick it on CL for a high price and see what happens. Since you have $6.5k in the truck, I don't see $7k being unreasonable if it's a rust-free truck that needs nothing. I see trucks in CA selling for that high sometimes.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to slowly start modifying the truck into something that better suits my needs. starting with sourcing a front sway bar and mounting brackets.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 AM

what are your plans if you're going to keep it?

front swaybar? if you were local i'd give mine to you, it's been sitting on the side of my house for about 5yrs and i don't see why i would ever want it back on this truck. only kept it in case i sell my truck someday and figure it should go with. perhaps with a camper shell things might be different with the extra weight up high, since for me i only saw benefits
Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM

yes, my plan is to make it more street friendly and turning it into an overland/ camping truck (I was looking to sell and buy a 4runner) the swaybar should help as well as adding an ome steering stabilizer.

Last edited by dirtrider0129; 06-24-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 AM

OME stabilizer, idler arm rebuild and repacking front bearings was a very big improvement on my truck's on-road performance. as much of a difference as the new OME leafs and OME shocks gave when i put those on first and drove it around after. if you don't need the seating room a pickup with shell is much better to own IMO since it's got covered cargo and you can remove it to haul stuff that a 4runner cannot.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM

having just done the front brakes and repacking the bearing with quality synthetic grease, it made a world of difference.

I'm looking at new shocks as well. possibly ome if I can find them for a decent price.