Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Looking at an 87 4Runner turbo-questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at an 87 4Runner turbo-questions

Hey all I'm new here. I'm looking at an 87 turbo 4Runner. Everything seemed mechanically fine on the test drive. I've done a little searching since then and will pay closer attention to the exhaust mani when I check it out again. Anything else I should keep an eye out for? It seemed ok for a darn near 30 year old SUV. Interior is dirty but no big rips or years just needs a scrub. It comes with 2 new front fenders and paint for the whole thing so that's a bonus. There's minor rust under 1 tail light, under gas door and 1 rear fender which can be fixed before paint.

One concern I have is the exhaust. It's shot. The rear muffler is gone and it looked like the cat had a hole in it. Since it'll need replaced anyway I'd like tips on exhaust size and which muffler to go with. I'd like to just delete the cat unless there's a sensor there that's absolutely needed. The truck will remain as stock as possible so I'd just like to know if I can do a 2.5" pipe and maybe a magnaflow muffler and call it good?

Thank you!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by jvannett
Hey all I'm new here. I'm looking at an 87 turbo 4Runner. Everything seemed mechanically fine on the test drive. I've done a little searching since then and will pay closer attention to the exhaust mani when I check it out again. Anything else I should keep an eye out for? It seemed ok for a darn near 30 year old SUV. Interior is dirty but no big rips or years just needs a scrub. It comes with 2 new front fenders and paint for the whole thing so that's a bonus. There's minor rust under 1 tail light, under gas door and 1 rear fender which can be fixed before paint.

One concern I have is the exhaust. It's shot. The rear muffler is gone and it looked like the cat had a hole in it. Since it'll need replaced anyway I'd like tips on exhaust size and which muffler to go with. I'd like to just delete the cat unless there's a sensor there that's absolutely needed. The truck will remain as stock as possible so I'd just like to know if I can do a 2.5" pipe and maybe a magnaflow muffler and call it good?

Thank you!

Bumpppp
Old 10-21-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your exhaust issue depends on the laws of your state.

Unless this has been owned by a person that kept after the maintenance no telling what needs to be done just to catch up.

Figure on spending an easy $1000.00 in parts just catching up

You don`t mention mileage is this due for some serious suspension and steering work??

Time fora new timing chain??

What part of the country can play a large part in what to look for.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Your exhaust issue depends on the laws of your state.

Unless this has been owned by a person that kept after the maintenance no telling what needs to be done just to catch up.

Figure on spending an easy $1000.00 in parts just catching up

You don`t mention mileage is this due for some serious suspension and steering work??

Time fora new timing chain??

What part of the country can play a large part in what to look for.
Thanks for the reply, it has 203k on it. I'm not sure on maintenance there doesn't seem to be any history. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty digging into it. The current owner has just had it sitting around as a spare vehicle for about a year. The area is North Dakota. We don't really have laws that pertain to exhaust up here haha. I've owned 3 turbo cars all with 3" straight through exhausts. No cat no resonator no muffler. If it's absolutely needed I'll throw a cat on there but as far as muffler I'll want to put one on, my ears have had about enough of exhaust drone.

Also I don't know if I said this in the original post but to sweeten the deal it comes with brand new Goodyear duratracs size 31x10.5x15
Old 10-22-2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jvannett
Thanks for the reply, it has 203k on it. I'm not sure on maintenance there doesn't seem to be any history. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty digging into it. The current owner has just had it sitting around as a spare vehicle for about a year. The area is North Dakota. We don't really have laws that pertain to exhaust up here haha. I've owned 3 turbo cars all with 3" straight through exhausts. No cat no resonator no muffler. If it's absolutely needed I'll throw a cat on there but as far as muffler I'll want to put one on, my ears have had about enough of exhaust drone.

Also I don't know if I said this in the original post but to sweeten the deal it comes with brand new Goodyear duratracs size 31x10.5x15
I just got a 86 turbo pickup in August - been learning a lot about how things feel when right, when off.

As for the exhaust: 2.5" is a good diameter. Is the hole in the exhaust pipe only? Any cracks in the manifold? The exhaust manifold is right under the turbo on the right side, hard to tell cracks unless you really look into it or if its bad you'll hear a noise...

Definitely check around for rust. Bed seams, inside the bed, more importantly underneath and behind the doors. Rear quarter panel inside seams. Does it have mudflaps? Small deal but could make a big difference if salt is common.

What does the suspension feel like? Squishy? Firm? Is the back leaning significantly lower than the front?

If there's new tires on it likely the suspension is in good enough shape to warrant nice tires. Be wary the tires may just be a ploy to get someone to take it off his hands.

If you can get it checked out, do so. 22RTEs are really simple and most mechanics anywhere can tell you if something serious is wrong. Be mindful of how much the ask price is and if there's something wrong, negotiate with it.

Best of luck man!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 PM

Thanks!!

kind of excited to get into an older toyota, searching local sale sites i came across an 88 xtracab that i may go check out, its a little more but seems like it'd be less problematic! it only has 117k on it and not a spec of rust on the body, plus its a 5spd. either choice i make i think ill be happy but the pickup will definitely not need any body work. Ill try and post what i come up with