Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Help me make an offer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me make an offer

My parents have a '92 black Toyota pickup that I want to buy, but I'm not sure what to offer them. I was hoping Yota Tech could help me out.

Engine: 22RE
Mileage: 126000
Transmission: Manual, 4WD
Interior Condition: Good
Exterior Condition: Fair

Everything is functional on it. The timing chain was just replaced last week and a new optima red top battery was put in. The valve clearances were adjusted too. It's had a mix of oil ran through it, but I believe most of the time it has been Valvoline Durablend. It was taken to a dealer for servicing until 90,000 and then it was taken to Jiffy Lube. I'm assuming it has had OEM filters for the most part. The tires are Falken Wildpeaks and only a month old.

It needs a good cleaning. What would you guys offer?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Hard to tell how much, it's family.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM

Max id say 2 grand...just cause its a 22re
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is a very hard call to make because it is family:jessica:

i would say a 6 month test drive to see if it fits your needs.

What are other Toyota Vehicles in your area bringing .

Will you be paying for this out of the cash you carry in your pocket??

Does your family need the money?? Kind of like pay them now or later thing.:jessica:
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on your relationship with your parents and how well you anticipate both you and them dealing with the whole affair, to me that would weigh in as a heavy factor. I should precise. Even though your parents may sell the vehicle to you, they may remember it as theirs and retain 'ownership' despite you now maintaining it, etc. If you're ok with this, that's fine, even the time your mom invariably calls you telling you she crashed your car (I'm speaking from personal experience), and you end up wrenching on it to fix it in freezing temperatures (or when you're already swamped) -- because naturally, once something goes wrong, it's "your car"! Consider a total loss condition (i.e. the vehicle is not salvageable), and they just took the truck out to go pick something up (because you have a pickup after all!) and the truck is written off. Are you prepared to be left in the dark like this?

Alternatively, if you plan on throwing 35's on it and driving their beloved old truck through a mud hole, you'll get to constantly hear about how you ruined their 'pristine' truck, despite you paying the bills, doing maintenance and hosing it off. Oh, and if you do too much maintenance, you'll be called obsessive, etc.

If I could do it over again, I think I'd still have taken the vehicle (mine was more inherited than a purchase), but in your case, given the recent maintenance on the vehicle, I'd recommend paying them out either in full for the recent repairs (and say at 50% for the tires if your parents are feeling generous), or whatever fair market value is for the truck in equal shape as close to you as possible. Take whichever is lower and approach your parents with the offer, if they're expecting money. If there are any issues whatsoever, in my view, you should walk away from the deal, as preserving your family ties is far more important than an old Toyota. Based on the work you've described that's been done to the vehicle over the past few months, it seems to fit in the $1200 - 2000 ballpark.

If you'll be using this to commute around town and don't plan to offroad, consider that a Civic, Camry or otherwise would be far safer in an accident and far more fuel efficient than the truck. Depending on what you can find in your area, you may be able to match if not exceed the reliability from the pickup with a newer platform.

Best of luck.

Last edited by khany2002; 01-09-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
$2005 tops, $5 for the custom wood block battery tie down
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid my dad $1500 for mine, in basically the same condition, with a mismatched bed, and a cracked block. Was another $900 or so getting an engine stuck in. So $2600. Pretty fair price around here. Was never abused, just kind of neglected. One big thing though. As a family sale, ensure you get title. Signed, free and clear. Otherwise it's just a bad lease. Even if you love mom & pops.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
quick heads up on the optima, when I bought mine it came with a plastic riser so you don't need that block of wood if its only a week old might you still have it or could you go to where you got the battery and see why it didn't come with one??
Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
$2005 tops, $5 for the custom wood block battery tie down
I think we both know that a wood block battery holder like that fine one in the picture is worth more than $5.

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
quick heads up on the optima, when I bought mine it came with a plastic riser so you don't need that block of wood if its only a week old might you still have it or could you go to where you got the battery and see why it didn't come with one??
It came with one, I just had to do some dremel modding to it so I could make it fit.

I've actually been driving this thing for a while now. I purchased the battery and tires. The family aspect of it shouldn't be a problem, but I'll heed the advice given above.

I'm thinking $1800.