Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Good work truck? Thinking of buying a T100 from insurance auction...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good work truck? Thinking of buying a T100 from insurance auction...

I have a fellow church member that I met recently who is on disability due to having to go to dialysis a couple of times per week. He seems to be an honest guy and a hard worker. I pay him $10 / hr cash and he works like a horse on days when I need him and he is feeling good. He does not have a car (his last one ended up with a "lady friend" who doesn't talk to him any more) and rides his bike to the clinic to get treatment. He says he does yards in the summer but has to push the mower around the neighborhood to get to customers houses. I've been looking around Craigslist for a decent vehicle but have not found one cheap enough to feel like I could buy it and give it away. I don't want to buy him something that will cost him a bunch to maintain either though. After contemplating minivans and SUVs (which seem to be lower priced than pickup trucks in South Carolina) I came across this 1995 T-100 at insurance auction. (both my vehicles are rebuilt form insurance auction but newer and worth the effort) It looks to have been well taken care of but has 276k on the 3.4l with a 5 speed. Tacomas go for ridiculous money at the salvage auction and most of the Tundras go for at least $2k if fixable. I'm thinking this T-100 will might go for cheap because of the mileage and because.... it is a T-100.

https://www.copart.com/lot/40340196/

As work trucks go, the regular cab 8' bet would probably be better but I think this will be sufficient and probably better on gas / maintenance then an old F150. Any thoughts on getting one of the first 3.4L ever made and what would be a "cheap" but reasonable price for this? Copart ends up charging a couple hundred in fees and it would cost me $280 to ship (I'm not taking off a day of work to go get it during business hours)? I'm hoping I can get it for $1,500 - $1,700 but for all I know it could go for stupid money like a Tacoma. If this was a Tacoma it would go for $3k even with the mileage and salvage title...

I could get him a similar year F150 run and drive with some damage for $1,500 but not sure how reliable it would be...

Jonathan
Old 12-07-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
You are a good man. The world could use plenty more like you.

Any inexpensive used machine will need work.

If the truck will just be used for short miles locally, I might go for the Ford.

The Ford might well be cheaper to maintain, but more expensive to fuel.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Another thing because of only a few years of being built finding parts can be real fun.

The only Common parts will be the Engine and Transmission plus other odds and ends every thing else for the most is T100 it took quite long for even simple parts

Both Dealer and Aftermarket.No one stocks them.

As much as I love my Toyota vehicles I would look at A Ford F150 over a T100

Just a thought
Old 12-13-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
The ford will definitely be easier to get parts for. And many people know how to work on them. I would lean towards a 2wd as well. Less moving parts to maintain and at least in the PNW they tend to be a lot more affordable.

Good on you for helping someone on your dime. The world is a better place because of you.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i also vote the ford for the simple parts availability mentioned above.
Any cheap used vehicle may need some work, there is a reason for them being cheap- poor maintenance tends to go hand in hand with the price.

The T100 looks to be a good truck but even the 3.4 has the potential to have issues, first thing I would do is throw a timing belt etc on it.

Hats off to you for going out on a limb to help a dude out