Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Buying a Used Car.... HELP!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a Used Car.... HELP!!!

I've never bought a brand new car, and though I've owned several older late model vehicles, now that I'm looking at getting a 2005-2008 sport luxury, its a little overwhelming.

I've always bought from private sellers, as I like getting a feel for the pervious owner, and with cash in had, get a better deal this way. However, when I look at whats on Craigslist, I see alot of ads boasting "Clean Car Fax" or "rebuilt title, but in perfect shape"....

Can someone a little more familiar with buying and selling cars, fill me in on how this all works? A car can have repair work on it, or a 'Russian rebuild' while still having a clean title or clean car fax, right? I dont want to buy someone's car auction buy. Also, is there any way of knowing how long someone has owned a car, without simply taking their word for it?

What else do I need to know??

Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 AM

Not every damage event is reported to carfax, so you can not solely go on that. If it was a major event (i.e. total loss) and it was rebuilt it most likely has a salvage or rebuilt title. But, I am not sure if every state handles this the same? Your best bet is to inspect the vehicle in person. If your not comfortable doing that take a friend or arrange an independent inspection by a mechanic.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carfax will tell you every time the vehicle was registered/transferred to a new owner.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YFZsandrider
... However, when I look at whats on Craigslist, I see alot of ads boasting "Clean Car Fax" or "rebuilt title, but in perfect shape"....
rebuilt title usually means the vehicle was totaled, or salvaged. In order to get a registerable title the vehicle needs to be repaired to the point it can pass a safety inspection. (most people will avoid salvaged vehicles)
Can someone a little more familiar with buying and selling cars, fill me in on how this all works? A car can have repair work on it, or a 'Russian rebuild' while still having a clean title or clean car fax, right?
Right. Even experienced inspectors can be fooled by this.

I dont want to buy someone's car auction buy. Also, is there any way of knowing how long someone has owned a car, without simply taking their word for it?
Carfax. For an original title, you'll get the ownership history riaght back to the dealer. I'm not sure how it would look for a salvage or rebuild title, but would expect some indication that the vehicle was on a rebuild title.

Last edited by technojunkie; 06-14-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:06 AM

I’m one of those people who love their old car so I’ve never bought any car. I‘ve restored my vehicle with the help of used auto parts. Last year I restored my car; its engine was worn out so I bought a used engine from an online auto engine store and gave my old car a life again. It’s running smoothly since.