Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

A sweetheart of a different kind

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A sweetheart of a different kind

Well, for several months now I have been really itching to get a full sized pickup, and I think the itch is coming to a head. The 4Runner just doesn't carry a sheet of plywood or other stuff that I'll be needing to move as we step up the house remodeling this year, and I've been hating the drag of the 3.slow ever since I got it. The Z3 that Jen has is so much fun to drive with the stick shift and appropriately sized engine, plus I simply do not have time right now to do the 4wheeling that requires a dedicated trail truck... so sad to say, the 4Runner may be in danger of being replaced. A lot depends on what kind of trade in value we get on the Kia; I'd rather keep the 4Runner so we have a back-up vehicle but $$ will make the decision.

Don't worry, I am looking at a decent replacement: a 1999 2500Ram, 4x4, Cummins, 5 speed. Extended cab (4door) long bed.
Yeah, I know what you're thinking, and if I do keep the 4Runner or get a replacement for it at some point, I'll have a tow rig.
The 2500 is a 4x4 beast in its own right, so I'll be able to do almost all the same wheeling - longer and wider so that will limit some of what I do or just require more skill.

So if anyone wants a chance at my (mostly stock) green runner before I'd trade it in, speak up! I'll keep everyone posted on the details...

You guys have fun up at Disney next weekend...
Old 12-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet!

Though you won't be able to leave a 99 Cummins stock.... it just wouldn't be right.

Check out
Turbodieselregister.com
dieseltruckresource.com

The main issues are
1) KDP (killer dowel pin), see if your truck falls in that date range, and if it does, it's an easy fix.
2) 5th gear nut on the NV4500, a little more involved fix, but not too bad.
3) Lift pump, it'll go out and take the VP44$$$ with it (it needs fuel for lubrication). Run a fuel pressure gage to make sure you have good pressure going to the VP44.

Other than that, expect pretty routine front end parts and u-joint replacements (the penalty for a 1000+ lbs engine and loads of torque).
Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, Hans! I knew you would point out any big problems.
I'll have to check up on the truck later this week, the dealership it's at is closed on weekends and I can't get to the truck without them open.

*Looks like I may be lucky on the KDP, depending on manufacture date.
*5th gear nut problem is less frequent on 1999 and newer trucks with the revised factory 5th gear nut, so I may not have that problem...
*Yeah, I'll add a fuel pressure gauge if it doesn't already have one. Or I might go for the dummy warning light so I can cover it up with black tape, eh?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Injohneer
W
The 2500 is a 4x4 beast in its own right, so I'll be able to do almost all the same wheeling - longer and wider so that will limit some of what I do or just require more skill.
You have trails long and wide enough for that monster ?

Who's gonna be able to tow you out when you sink the 2 ton monster.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
It is a valid point. I used to go wheelin with a buddy in MI who had a 2500 ram, but only a V8. It usually took at least 2 of us (mine and a blazer) to yank him out when he got stuck. I can only imagine with the added weight of the cummins.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
You have trails long and wide enough for that monster ?

John has a chainsaw, it's all good

2 tons? Heck, that's what my Toyota weighs! I figure once he gets all his tools in that beast it'll be more like 4 tons.

Yeah, it may take 2-3 people to pull him out if he finds some mud (which is hard to do in OK), but on the upside he could probably pull 2 people out at once
Old 12-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

First off, I'd really rather keep the 4runner. I can't see parting with her for only 1500-2k, which is probably what they'll offer me in trade-in value. But then again, I probably ought to spend that much on her sometime next year for the 200,000 mile maintenance.

Wheeling the fullsize shouldn't be too bad - I really want to do more wheeling up in CO, and WY where my parents live. There's not too much to sink in up there, except for snow. And they actually have trails that go somewhere, so they are long enough to get the truck on. Speaking of which, one day my buddy and I were doing donuts. His mom's '96 4x4 3500 Ram club cab dually made circles about 2-3 ft smaller than my 4runner. So my guess is that high-centering would be worse of a problem than turn radius. But the 2500 is a good 3-4 inches higher climbing in the cab than my 4runner now, plus it doesn't have the low slung gas tank. (In fact, being a Cummins it doesn't even have a gas tank....)

Today I swung by the dealership (on my way to do other things in the area) about 30 minutes before they closed. Since they were trying to close things up and had already parked it amongst the herd of other trucks and I didn't have financing in order yet, I didn't drive it but I did start it up and do a look-around. Truck looked clean, of course it was dark and starting to rain on me. Only problem found was the driver's side rear door handle was missing - it's a plastic part that probably got busted somewhere.

Speaking of chainsaws, I've been carrying mine around all week, in case a tree falls on me.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 PM

what did they say about a trade in value? you should start a "for sale" thread on here starting at their trade-in value + $500. what year is your runner? what shape is it in? you said its close to 200k miles? another thread with some pictures and details just might get 'er sold for ya.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

Well, we had a minor wreck in the Kia - not enough to total it, but it will take probably a month before the shop has it repaired. So everything is on hold, since we planned to try to trade the Kia in. ...
Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 AM

Sneak down to the lot with a baseball bat before the adjuster gets a look at it. I'm sorry.... but Kia + wreck = totalled.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always loved my old '86 2500 with it's worn out 360 & shot rochester carb; it'll pull out blazers & broncos all day with out ever slipping a tire (I guess because it's so worn out lol)

The old Dodge's were tanks man & of the newer ones, only the Cummins comes close to what they were in the "good ol' days"
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Ahhh well... not changing vehicles for a while.
Just got done figuring taxes, we owe $4000+ (I plan on waiting to file on April 15th). hehe. Hopefully we get the Kia back Friday (yeah, finally) and get it sold, that would help out.

I also found out that the windshield crack law just changed in Oklahoma. You used to get by with less than 12(?) inches in the driver's side windshield wiper area. Now, "any imperfection" can get you a ticket.
So, since both sides of my 4runner windshield have a crack, I guess I'll be replacing it soon.

So what's the scoop on the "quiet" Diesels? I've read a bit about how they changed the fuel setup to increase efficiency and decrease noise....anything to watch out for or avoid? Same with the 6speed manual?
I'm looking ahead and by time I buy, a used 04 or 05 model with 100-200k miles will be in my price range.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

holy cow thats a lot in taxes...

sucks on the law change too. missouri is similar, unless you got a good buddy...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, Jen made too much $$ contracting last year and we didn't take out taxes on that.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

ahhh...

can you make the disney trip in april?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't found a D2500 yet.
But I did find a K2500 - fully loaded 2001 2500HD Duramax, Auto, etc.

165640 miles - originally priced at $17977, dropped now to $13977.
Test drove, seemed OK (needs new tires, has BFG TA/KOs and the front ones are a little rough the TA/KO's on my 4runner did)

Doesn't look like it ever had a gooseneck or 5th wheel, so it probably didn't suffer much towing damage. Looked pretty clean and rust free... no open recalls.

I haven't done much research on Duramax's and Chevy transmissions or their 3/4 tons in general, is there anything I should especially look for?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Duramax's arent bad... I'm assuming it has the allison tranny. If so, from what I know you should be fine. The allisons have had some issues, but mainly related to leaks or sticky solenoids. Not one that I've heard of has ever failed from pulling a load.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Check to see if the injectors were ever replaced. The 01-02? trucks had injector problems, GM gave owners a 200k mile warranty on the injectors to help out. Sounds like a good price for a mid-level ext. cab truck.

Duramax/Allison's are a solid combo. As with all diesel trucks, watch for worn front end parts/wheel bearings. Don't buy a truck that has been chipped, too many things that could have been f-ed up. Diesels are not cheap to fix if they break.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I got it. Retired the 4Runner (I know, i kissed it goodbye...) and Jen's Kia.
Can we still come in April and ride along?

I really wanted to keep the 'runner but financially this was best for us. Plus, I don't have the time & funds to pay attention to two trucks at the same time.

I'll probably take a break from having a yota for 3-5 years, then pick up something to play with again. At that time, I'll have the tow rig and will be able to make something a little more...offroadish. Which means I'll need a gooseneck, and we'll have to move to more land, and oh yeah we'll probably have kids by then... *sigh*...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

congrats! see ya in april!