Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

Rocktoberfest

Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my real problem is a coolant leak. i can smell it, but for the life of me i can't find it. i have been under it with a spot light looking at all the hoses bottom and top, but just can't locate the source of the smell. i just don't want to be on the road and blow a hose. i am going to check all the hoses, soft and hard. and look at the radiator real good tomorrow. i might suck it up, pray real hard, and throw caution to the wind and drive it up.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the truck loose coolant or overheat, or have any other symptoms?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Contributing Member

no overheating issues. it just started. i can smell it on the drivers side only. overflow container is empty. i am going to check the hard line that bolts on to the back of the head this afternoon.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

Check the large hard line to rubber line connection and the rubber line itself above the alternator.... Mine likes to leak there if I've tinkered with it....
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

It's going to be a late night. I still have to finish the rear bumper (it's going to take a while)
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Check the large hard line to rubber line connection and the rubber line itself above the alternator.... Mine likes to leak there if I've tinkered with it....
looks good, all the lines look good. i am going to pull the fan shroud. i think it could be the radiator. whatever it is, it is leaking a good bit.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ADH8796
It's going to be a late night. I still have to finish the rear bumper (it's going to take a while)
anthony, bring it down and i will help ya.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Well I have some bad news.... Working on the 4Runner, bleeding the brakes may have snowballed into needing pretty much a new rear axle. So, I wont be wheeling. I'm now figuring out whether or not I'll just drive down and watch or stay up here....

The short of the deal is, I busted off a bleeder screw on the back drum. I then said it and parked it. While moving it I noticed a loud clunking coming from the same wheel... This was during lunch. Got home after work, pulled it back around. Still, same loud clunking. Determined it was coming from the wheel. Thought maybe a rock, or grenaded brake pad clunking around in the drum. Pulled the wheel off to find that the brake shoes are shot, but not my clunk. I'm now 95% sure the wheel bearing is shot, and its only 30K old. While playing with it I also noticed more play than normal in rotating the wheel and am wondering if my axle splines are wearing out. Between that, a wheel bearing, new shoes, and a bleeder screw i figured I might as well sell the good 4.88 detroit locked 3rd and get a D60, D70 or a 14B. I would just say screw it and wheel it, but this would run along the lines of catastrophic need a tow truck type failure, and im not a huge fan of that. oh well.

Last edited by colsoncj; 10-24-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tortis
looks good, all the lines look good. i am going to pull the fan shroud. i think it could be the radiator. whatever it is, it is leaking a good bit.
I hope you get it figured out!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Well I have some bad news.... Working on the 4Runner, bleeding the brakes may have snowballed into needing pretty much a new rear axle. So, I wont be wheeling. I'm now figuring out whether or not I'll just drive down and watch or stay up here....

The short of the deal is, I busted off a bleeder screw on the back drum. I then said it and parked it. While moving it I noticed a loud clunking coming from the same wheel... This was during lunch. Got home after work, pulled it back around. Still, same loud clunking. Determined it was coming from the wheel. Thought maybe a rock, or grenaded brake pad clunking around in the drum. Pulled the wheel off to find that the brake shoes are shot, but not my clunk. I'm now 95% sure the wheel bearing is shot, and its only 30K old. While playing with it I also noticed more play than normal in rotating the wheel and am wondering if my axle splines are wearing out. Between that, a wheel bearing, new shoes, and a bleeder screw i figured I might as well sell the good 4.88 detroit locked 3rd and get a D60, D70 or a 14B. I would just say screw it and wheel it, but this would run along the lines of catastrophic need a tow truck type failure, and im not a huge fan of that. oh well.
That sucks man! We will have Finks 4wheeler down there to pull us around and watch others flip, crash, break, est their rigs so no big deal there. I may do some mild wheeling if I can find a small tire run going on at some point over the weekend but either way I figure I still have to drive it home so I'll be happy just hanging out and watching the comps and stuff.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tortis
anthony, bring it down and i will help ya.
Worked over 11 hours on it yesterday and now the only thing left is a few more welds then sand it down real good toss some paint on it and bolt it up and hope it's good and stong so Finks 4wheeler doesn't get lost on the trip down (that would suck).
Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 AM

Cory... come on man. Suck it up and patch up the 87 or go wheel the 98. You have no excuses.

The only excessive play in your rear end is what you're going to get from Fink this weekend. Don't worry about the wheel bearing, just tow the thing to Byrd's, it'll be Ok for the trails. Do you have a spare shaft with bearing? (I do, too bad I moved ). For the rear brakes, either crimp the line off or go buy a new wheel cylinder and install it at camp.

Jeez, Gary has to fix that much stuff on his Jeep before Every wheeling trip. Call Will and have him come over and motivate you.

Oh... and I get dibs on everything 22RE related under your hood because my damn truck still don't run right.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

No patching the truck... it may not be worth it with the splines, brakes, etc.... I need to tear it down and figure out what all it needs. As far as the bearing... If the noise is the bearing, its beyond OK, you're looking at emminent failure in a bad way. You know the sound a detroit makes unlocking from a bind pulling a trailer? this rivals that. And no to crimping the lines... I want to keep my rear brakes.

Add to that the lack of funds to do anything more to it, and you have my current situation. I'm already a little overdrawn to get it to the point it is in hopes of making it. oh well

And NO WHEELIN THE 98... Its a DD, not a play toy.

And Gary has to fix that much cause he bought a jeep... he was warned

Quit being so picky on the 86... your like a nagging wife.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Oh, and its thursday... between working today, tonight, and tomorrow, I dont have the time to mess with it. It'll be alright, I'll get to it this weekend.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:16 AM

Oh, and its thursday... between working today, tonight, and tomorrow, I dont have the time to mess with it. It'll be alright, I'll get to it this weekend.

Working on a Friday? You trying to get a raise or something?

Burban can DD... or hell, as soon as it snows you can sled to work. The 98 can at least hang with Fink's ride. Or are you worried about all the dust in the parking lot?

And I'm not going to quit whining about the 86 because I spent $940 on it in the last month and the damn thing should be happy about it! Excluding the high performance top end on my 76 Chevy, that's the most cash I've ever piled into a vehicle. I just pissed I didn't sell it after the transmission went 3 years ago.

Last edited by Cargun; 10-25-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with Hans here the 98 will do a bunch of crap with that rear E-Locker so pile that puppy on a trailer and let's have some fun haha. Either way I think Fink and I should be kicking out tonight after work and then hopefully meeting up with yall when you get out there. Is Keith still coming? I'm getting confused with everyone going and not going help me out here.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

found my coolant leak. blown head gasket. no rocktoberfest for me. everybody take lots of pictures and email them to me, or post them up. hope yall have a screaming good time.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

cory, sorry to hear about your junk bro.

anthony, glad you finished your bumper, now post some pics.

cargun, how is new york treating you?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Last I checked, keith was coming...

I'm still on the fence, but about to fall on the side of not coming.

Sorry bout the headgasket... that sucks. not a bad job, just takes some time.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

i thought it was the rear freeze plug at first, but very happy with the head gasket problem. when i replaced my timing chain i didn't drop the oil pan or pull the head, and it leaks at the head so now that will be fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rocktoberfest